Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about trading Hicks?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What about trading Hicks?

I think the best option for the Twins to get good young talent is to trade good young talent. Teams like the Texas Rangers are dying for good young talent in the OF and would be willing to give something up for that talent. The two players I had in mind were Nick Tepesch and Justin Grimm. Both are good but don't factor in much in what Texas is doing. They have a surplus of young good pitchers and gaps to fill. The more likely candidate is Grimm but Tepesch may be available as well.

What do you think?

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who would want Aaron Hicks right now? Until he proves he can hit from the left side, he is an average player.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see Hicks getting much... That and this means there will be a need for an OF in the next wave. We may have that anyways if Hicks fails, but given his value, I just don't see this making sense.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Aaron Hicks may not have hit that much this year but the talent is there and he is still young. GM's love talent and would possibly trade for him to get him cheap, and besides, Grimm didn't exactly have a good year either.

At least if Hicks fails, he can fall back on becoming a pitcher. I would take that over any of the subpar returns. Dude can still field like a boss though.

Buy low, sell high. Never the opposite.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AROG View Post
    Aaron Hicks may not have hit that much this year but the talent is there and he is still young. GM's love talent and would possibly trade for him to get him cheap, and besides, Grimm didn't exactly have a good year either.
    He's going to be cheap for many years in terms of money. Or did you mean cheap in terms of what the other GM would have to give up to get him? If that's what you meant, well, I think the answer is quite obvious as to why the Twins shouldn't trade Hicks.

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    No reason to give up on Hicks yet. Especially now that his value is so low. Maybe I'm just being optimistic here, but I think there is still plenty of time for Hicks to turn things around and prove he's a serviceable MLBer. Maybe not the super star we hoped many years ago, but I think he could still have an impact, especially if he and Buxton are in the same outfield.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 184 Times in 113 Posts
    I like Hicks a lot. He might be slow to develop but so was Morneau. A future outfield of Hicks/Buxton/Arcia could be freaking awesome. No sense in trading him now while his value is this low since he hasn't shown he can hit above AA. I think they should let him start in AAA and bring him up to after they trade Willingham and keep him up here from then on.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Who would want Aaron Hicks right now? Until he proves he can hit from the left side, he is an average player.
    Until he proves he can hit from the left side, he is a 4th OF'er.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Hicks proved very little in his half year stint as the Twins centerfielder. His hitting was abysmal overall (although he improved after an historically awful month of April), his fielding was okay, but no better (again he improved as the year went on). Hicks displayed enough potential to believe that he can be a better than average outfielder. As for hitting left handed, IIRC the Twins played against a lot of right handers in April when Aaron couldn't buy a hit off of anyone. I think this (and the four homers he hit RH) skews his splits considerably. Hicks had only 66 PAs vs. left handed pitchers in his half season of work. To me, that is too small a sample to draw any conclusions.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I like Hicks a lot. He might be slow to develop but so was Morneau. A future outfield of Hicks/Buxton/Arcia could be freaking awesome. No sense in trading him now while his value is this low since he hasn't shown he can hit above AA. I think they should let him start in AAA and bring him up to after they trade Willingham and keep him up here from then on.
    Hmm, I guess we know where opposing teams are going to try to hit the ball against that outfield...

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Until he proves he can hit from the left side, he is a 4th OF'er.
    I wasn't going to push it too far, but I agree.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Aaron Hicks proved very little in his half year stint as the Twins centerfielder. His hitting was abysmal overall (although he improved after an historically awful month of April), his fielding was okay, but no better (again he improved as the year went on). Hicks displayed enough potential to believe that he can be a better than average outfielder. As for hitting left handed, IIRC the Twins played against a lot of right handers in April when Aaron couldn't buy a hit off of anyone. I think this (and the four homers he hit RH) skews his splits considerably. Hicks had only 66 PAs vs. left handed pitchers in his half season of work. To me, that is too small a sample to draw any conclusions.
    Nobody was making statistical decisions based on this year's L/R splits. His stats hitting lefthanded reinforce Hicks' biggest question mark coming up through the minors. He has always struggled from the left side of the plate.

I was really looking forward to an outfield of Kepler/Buxton/Hicks someday.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The time to trade him was last spring. Now his value is at a low ebb.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    No way they deal him now. Maybe stop switch hitting......that would be as good as a trade.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    My-oh-my how the faithful value anybody called "prospect". Did people forget how many balls fell in front of Hicks?--his defensive metrics suffered significantly because of that. Hitting? 'nuf said. "Tools"?--of course but they are expected for his level of baseball--it's results that seperate the stars from the duds.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Some players are slow to develop because they aren't going to develop, so stating one player struggled doesn't mean all struggling players are destined for greatness, which is what this kind of stance purports.

BTW, did you take a look at Morneau when comparing him to Hicks? They're development has been nothing alike except when they made their debut. Morneau destroyed the minors and didn't have a down year there. When called up he did struggle for 115 ABs, but that's it. He was then an above average hitter except for 2005 when he was slightly below average.

All that said, I wouldn't trade Hicks unless he does bring back starting pitching, which I don't think he will by himself. This should be true of almost any player in the organization except maybe Sano or Buxton. Of course, that's why we're in this predicament, we don't have enough players that could bring that back.
    Last edited by Alex; 10-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    My-oh-my how the faithful value anybody called
    "prospect". Did people forget how
    many balls fell in front of Hicks?--his defensive metrics suffered significantly because of that. Hitting?
    'nuf said. "Tools"?--of course but they
    are expected for his level of baseball--

it's results that seperate the stars from the duds.
    Im all for trading him for the right return, but exactly what would you expect to get for him right now after struggling and being publicly humiliated by gardenhire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast