Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Twins seek rotation help for second straight offseason

  1. #1
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Twins seek rotation help for second straight offseason

    Article over at the Twins portion of MLB. On the Twins main news page, before clicking on the article itself, it says' 'Rotation at forefront of Ryan's plans'

    Couple of my favorite parts:

    -"This year we thought we did a little better with the rotation with Correia and Pelfrey'.

    Yes, if better means the worst rotation in baseball in every significant category when we weren't quite the worst in every significant category last year, then yes...it was better.

    -"We'll address that free-agent list, but it's not a good way to build," Ryan said. "It's a good way to supplement a roster. We're certainly going to look. There's going to be a lot of competition for quality starting, and we'll be in the mix. We certainly need to address the pitching staff."'

    That's some good hemming and hawing...


    Minnesota Twins seek starting rotation help for second straight offseason | twinsbaseball.com: News
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    -"We'll address that free-agent list, but it's not a good way to build," Ryan said. "It's a good way to supplement a roster. We're certainly going to look. There's going to be a lot of competition for quality starting, and we'll be in the mix. We certainly need to address the pitching staff."'

    That's some good hemming and hawing...


    Minnesota Twins seek starting rotation help for second straight offseason | twinsbaseball.com: News
    I guess this is my issue. Ryan is absolutely correct, it is a good way to supplement a roster, but I think his interprtation is different than most fans and most GM's. From his tone and past forays into free agency, I think that he thinks, "supplementing" means only getting minor or modest pieces. There is no reason to think you can't "supplement" your roster with actual upgrades.

    Supplement definition from Mirriam Webster: "to add something to (something) in order to make it complete"

    I don't know why he thinks adding another league average pitcher would make the team more complete than adding one that would actually fill a need.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Article over at the Twins portion of MLB. On the Twins main news page, before clicking on the article itself, it says' 'Rotation at forefront of Ryan's plans'

    Couple of my favorite parts:

    -"This year we thought we did a little better with the rotation with Correia and Pelfrey'.

    Yes, if better means the worst rotation in baseball in every significant category when we weren't quite the worst in every significant category last year, then yes...it was better.

    -"We'll address that free-agent list, but it's not a good way to build," Ryan said. "It's a good way to supplement a roster. We're certainly going to look. There's going to be a lot of competition for quality starting, and we'll be in the mix. We certainly need to address the pitching staff."'

    That's some good hemming and hawing...


    Minnesota Twins seek starting rotation help for second straight offseason | twinsbaseball.com: News
    C'mon, you need to give the whole quote and not just cherry-pick the part you want to jump on. The whole quote shows that this was a preseason analysis, and included the assumption that Gibson would add to the rotation, and concludes with his tacit acknowledgement that it didn't work as he hoped.

    And what did you expect for the second quote? That he's going to publicly say they're jumping in with both feet? Knowing that agents will automatically raise what they're going to ask from him when he calls?

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    C'mon, you need to give the whole quote and not just cherry-pick the part you want to jump on. The whole quote shows that this was a preseason analysis, and included the assumption that Gibson would add to the rotation, and concludes with his tacit acknowledgement that it didn't work as he hoped.

    And what did you expect for the second quote? That he's going to publicly say they're jumping in with both feet? Knowing that agents will automatically raise what they're going to ask from him when he calls?
    I provided the link, I wasn't hiding the whole quote. He first said he thought they did better with the rotation. Doesn't matter what he said after that if he thinks the rotation was better. That was the point.

    As far as your second part, he did come out last year and say something like, ' I will do everything possible to significantly improve the starting rotation for next year. '

    Do you think him saying the above caused agents to automatically raise what they're going to ask from him when he called? And, if so, are you blaming him for that statement?

    What he forgot to add to that promise was, 'and by everything possible I mean, as long as none of the pitchers cost more 6M or more a year or need contracts longer than 2 years, I'll do everything possible.'

    He's the Meatloaf of GMs. 'I would do anything for pitching...but I won't do that!' :-)

    So this year, it's hemming and hawing...I wonder how that will go over when he speaks to the season ticket holders and the potential season ticket holders?
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-16-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,353
    Like
    1,311
    Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Is it ridiculous to think that a free agent could ever be a cornerstone of your rebuild?

    I realize that Pavano wasn't a free agent (but close and had been a FA previously I think).

    To me, he was a cornerstone of that 2009 team not just because of his results (17-11) but because he took the ball for 221 innings and provided a good role model for the rest of the starting staff.

    I go back to good pitching begetting good pitching. Do the Kyle Gibson's and Alex May's and others NEED that one veteran, workhorse pitcher to help them develop? Is there more to be learned from teammates than can be learned from a pitching coach (e.g. the way Price looked to Shields in the past or the way that Scherzer, Fister et. al look to Verlander)?

    Pavano wasn't a superstar by any measure but he brought a degree of professionalism and leadership (when healthy) that we just haven't seen the last couple of years.

    Far from being a "supplement", I'm thinking that type of player is a cornerstone -- whether acquired by FA or trade.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    And what did you expect for the second quote? That he's going to publicly say they're jumping in with both feet? Knowing that agents will automatically raise what they're going to ask from him when he calls?
    Yes, 100% yes. Agents aren't going to be able to raise their asking price just because the Twins show interest, you don't really think Ryan signs players and acts like he is doing them a favor and could care less if they wore his uniform?

    Even if for some reason they did have to pay a tiny bit more, Pohlad already threw out the welcome mat. Ryan pussyfoots around free agency year after year. Last year he played coy after the Cubs marked up the price of back end pitchers and by the end of December he was on MLB TV whining about how "sometimes you can't give your money away," while implying that free agents just don't want to come to Minnesota.

    Damn right they don't, it's the land of passive agression where the GM has a reputation of not making bold moves and former players and contemporaries tell the world that the Twins can't win because they will never "Go for it."

    That needs to change, if the Twins want to be players for quality free agents, they need to put out a big, bright neon sign saying "Open for business, and bring your friends!" Of course top guys don't want to come here when there is no evidence that the front office will do what it takes to win. Scream from the rooftop that things are different now and, yes damn it, we will pay you if you are talented and we will pay others like you, we are NOT your fathers Twins.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Yes, 100% yes. Agents aren't going to be able to raise their asking price just because the Twins show interest, you don't really think Ryan signs players and acts like he is doing them a favor and could care less if they wore his uniform?

    Even if for some reason they did have to pay a tiny bit more, Pohlad already threw out the welcome mat. Ryan pussyfoots around free agency year after year. Last year he played coy after the Cubs marked up the price of back end pitchers and by the end of December he was on MLB TV whining about how "sometimes you can't give your money away," while implying that free agents just don't want to come to Minnesota.

    Damn right they don't, it's the land of passive agression where the GM has a reputation of not making bold moves and former players and contemporaries tell the world that the Twins can't win because they will never "Go for it."

    That needs to change, if the Twins want to be players for quality free agents, they need to put out a big, bright neon sign saying "Open for business, and bring your friends!" Of course top guys don't want to come here when there is no evidence that the front office will do what it takes to win. Scream from the rooftop that things are different now and, yes damn it, we will pay you if you are talented and we will pay others like you, we are NOT your fathers Twins.
    I want to take this post out for dinner and get it all liquored up
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I want to take this post out for dinner and get it all liquored up
    It likes Crown Royal, but sometimes doesn't know when to stop.

  9. #9
    Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,955
    Like
    257
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Here's the full Pelfry and Correia quote, for those who care about context:
    "This year we thought we did a little better with the rotation with Correia and Pelfrey, thinking Gibson was going to come along, but it all goes back to starting pitching," Twins general manager Terry Ryan said. "We haven't rebounded yet. It's drafting, signing, baseball decisions, it's internationals, it's GMs, it's coaches, it's everything. It's not just one opportunity where we went awry."
    First, it appears that TR squarely admits the failure to build a rotation, which was cut from the excised quote in the OP. Secondly, Correia and Pelfry (at least beyond mid May) were not the reason the Twins rotation failed horribly yet again--they were supposed to fill out the rotation, not be the only reliable starters; the problem was believing that Diamond, Worley, and Gibson could make a front-half of a rotation. There was clearly some mismanagement with Pelfry's recovery/rehab too, which should have taken place in the minors, but injuries to Diamond and Deduno may have pushed the Twins to rush him.

    More, a quote like "We certainly need to address the pitching staff" is not hemming and hawing. I'm not sure what TR could say more definitively that would assuage a cynic's concern.

    Look, we'll see what the Twins do, but, really, these quotes don't illuminate any new criticism--and it seems unproductive to relive the same old arguments about starting pitching and free agency from the season.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 10-16-2013 at 04:12 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I provided the link, I wasn't hiding the whole quote. He first said he thought they did better with the rotation. Doesn't matter what he said after that if he thinks the rotation was better. That was the point.

    As far as your second part, he did come out last year and say something like, ' I will do everything possible to significantly improve the starting rotation for next year. '

    Do you think him saying the above caused agents to automatically raise what they're going to ask from him when he called? And, if so, are you blaming him for that statement?

    What he forgot to add to that promise was, 'and by everything possible I mean, as long as none of the pitchers cost more 6M or more a year or need contracts longer than 2 years, I'll do everything possible.'

    He's the Meatloaf of GMs. 'I would do anything for pitching...but I won't do that!' :-)

    So this year, it's hemming and hawing...I wonder how that will go over when he speaks to the season ticket holders and the potential season ticket holders?
    What would you have done differently last year? Specifically, which FA SPs would you have signed?

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,245
    Like
    107
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Pelfrey would have nothing of the minor leagues, and I don't know when that issue was ever raised. Free agent pitching?--nearly impossible when the goal of the organization is to slash payroll. It isn't necessary to have a press conference announcing budget cuts--just look at the year-over-year payroll--it speaks for itself.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,669
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Changing a comma to a period deviates the sentence from what it meant to something different. For almost all of the free agent pitchers signed with a new team last winter a GM could say "This year we thought we did a little better with the rotation with ..."
    and follow the comma in the statement with some form of we didn't meet the goal.The Dodger's GM is all smiles with his signings. Cleveland with Kazmir, Cubs with Feldman. As starters that is about it. Ryan has to be happy that Correia maintained his level of pitching and did not regress or get injured.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    -"We'll address that free-agent list, but it's not a good way to build," Ryan said. "It's a good way to supplement a roster. We're certainly going to look. There's going to be a lot of competition for quality starting, and we'll be in the mix. We certainly need to address the pitching staff."

    That's some good hemming and hawing...
    It just gets old, doesn't it? Old and nauseating. He'll resign Pelphrey and call his offseason a success.

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Changing a comma to a period deviates the sentence from what it meant to something different. For almost all of the free agent pitchers signed with a new team last winter a GM could say "This year we thought we did a little better with the rotation with ..."
    and follow the comma in the statement with some form of we didn't meet the goal.The Dodger's GM is all smiles with his signings. Cleveland with Kazmir, Cubs with Feldman. As starters that is about it. Ryan has to be happy that Correia maintained his level of pitching and did not regress or get injured.
    So it's probably a good thing I provided the whole link so people could read the whole thing. You and couple others are acting as if I was hiding it. With the people in here, does it seem feasible I would assume people wouldn't click on the link I myself provided? I pointed out things that were in it I found interesting....which I am certainly entitled to do.

    This isn't the only quote out there where he said Pelfrey and Correia were bright spots and then deflected how bad the rotation was. What he said in that quote minimizes how bad the rotation was when it starts off the way it did.

    If he was just praising Pelfrey and Correia (like he did before) and taking blame for the rest of rotation as a whole, it would have been said differently. Something like, 'Pelfrey and Correia worked out well (which is not true, BTW, at least in regards to Pelfrey), and then he would have gone on to say the rest of the rotation didn't turn out making our rotation bad and in need of work. But that's not how it went down, he starts by saying the 'This year we thought we did a little better with the rotation with Correia and Pelfrey'

    BTW, does he believe if he says Pelfrey did well enough this offseason, people will start to believe it?
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-16-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

  15. #15
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,607
    Like
    3,679
    Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    What would you have done differently last year? Specifically, which FA SPs would you have signed?
    I can't speak for others but here's what I advocated last year: sign Liriano to a 3 year extension rather than deal him for nothing of any value. Offer Grienke and/or Sanchez competitive contracts.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    All the ones that turned out to be good.
    Well, you can't complain about signing $6M/yr guys and then say I would have signed Liriano, Colon and Feldman. You could make a semi-reasonable case for Sanchez but signing away a FA from a team he wants to stay with is not a very reasonable position. I don't think too many people would say Grienke was realistic. He was simply out of reach, especially last year with a few more years of rebuilding ahead of us.

    Lohse was a pretty ideal except that he was not coming back to Minnesota. He was the perfect fit but unfortunately that bridge was burned. Steal Kuroda away from the Yankees? That was not going to happen. That leaves three 2nd tier FAs, at the market felt there were 3 based on what they got paid.
    They all performed rather poorly.

    Jackson 8-18 ERA of 4.98 4/52M
    Dempster 8-9 ERA of 4.57 2/26.5
    Harren 10-14 ERA of 4.67 1/13

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I can't speak for others but here's what I advocated last year: sign Liriano to a 3 year extension rather than deal him for nothing of any value. Offer Grienke and/or Sanchez competitive contracts.
    Also like to point out what any of us would do is irrelevant, it's what other GMs would have done to improve the rotation (in the last two offseasons, BTW, not just one)...and since our rotation was easily the worst of any in baseball...

    Finally, what's done is done...he did what he did. This isn't about jumping his case, again, for what he did (or didn't do). My point is now he shouldn't try to sugarcoat how the rotation turned out or try and make it seem it wasn't as bad as it was.

    BTW, the hemming and hawing wasn't about the fact that the pitching needs fixing, it's about HOW he's going to go about it and the whole 'FA isn't the answer, but we'll look, maybe, not throwing money around, but we'll be in the mix, kind of stuff that is hemming and hawing...
    Last edited by ThePuck; 10-16-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

  18. #18
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    All the ones that turned out to be good.
    Moderator note: please avoid mocking another poster's position by putting words in his mouth to imply he's a second-guesser or whatnot. That way the discussion can continue without getting sidetracked.

  19. #19
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,080
    Like
    4,535
    Liked 719 Times in 382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Moderator note: please avoid mocking another poster's position by putting words in his mouth to imply he's a second-guesser or whatnot. That way the discussion can continue without getting sidetracked.
    Agreed, and next time that happens an infraction will be awarded.

  20. #20
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,858
    Like
    180
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Why is it wrong to point out that a "plan" involving Correia and a still-recovering Pelfrey to rebound your rotation is a bad one?

    It was plainly obvious that it was a poor plan (Or at least a highly unlikely to succeed plan) to most everyone other than the front office well before the results came in. Fangraphs wrote about it, many bloggers here wrote about it. This supposed shock at it's failure and the attempts to justify it isn't an attack on hindsight. There was plenty of foresight on this issue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.