Thread: Lurkers and rookies please post here

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Welcome to the board!
    Thanks Brock!

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,948 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Welcome, jgfellows. Yes, we are all huge homers or we wouldn't be here, so yes, you are among kindred spirits. Have never been on a Bigfoot search but it could be fun. I'm always up for an interesting adventure. And who doesn't buy powerball tickets?????

Hey guys, new member here. My name is Lukas, sorry for the unoriginal user name.

Big fan of the web site Twins Daily. Read it on a daily basis, but rarely did i come to lurk the forum. The forum/s i do post on are not very active, so they don't fill my need. From me lurking on here, this seems like the place for me, so with Twins home opener today, i figured this would be the perfect time to join.

I live in Rochester, NY, the home of the AAA Twins farm club, but i actually "grew up" a Twins fan even before the Twins came to town. I don't have any connection to Minnesota however. As kids, we used to play backyard baseball all the time after school, and all of my friends were either Yankees, Mets or Baltimore (at the time, Rochester's AAA farm team), and before games we'd pick players-to-be. I was in love with Kirby Puckett. Loved his game. It came from watching him and once reading a article on him on SI-Kids. One Saturday morning, my parents went to the public market here and saw a cheap Puckett jersey. They bought it for me and from that day on, i went from being a Puckett fan into a Twins fan.

Anyhow, looking forward to talking baseball and Twins with you all from this point forward.

4. These 9 users like Kyle Gibson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-07-2014), ericchri (04-07-2014), Halsey Hall (04-07-2014), JB_Iowa (04-07-2014), Pius Jefferson (04-14-2014), Riverbrian (04-07-2014), Sconnie (04-08-2014), snepp (04-07-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-08-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Gibson View Post
    Hey guys, new member here. My name is Lukas, sorry for the unoriginal user name.

Big fan of the web site Twins Daily. Read it on a daily basis, but rarely did i come to lurk the forum. The forum/s i do post on are not very active, so they don't fill my need. From me lurking on here, this seems like the place for me, so with Twins home opener today, i figured this would be the perfect time to join.

I live in Rochester, NY, the home of the AAA Twins farm club, but i actually "grew up" a Twins fan even before the Twins came to town. I don't have any connection to Minnesota however. As kids, we used to play backyard baseball all the time after school, and all of my friends were either Yankees, Mets or Baltimore (at the time, Rochester's AAA farm team), and before games we'd pick players-to-be. I was in love with Kirby Puckett. Loved his game. It came from watching him and once reading a article on him on SI-Kids. One Saturday morning, my parents went to the public market here and saw a cheap Puckett jersey. They bought it for me and from that day on, i went from being a Puckett fan into a Twins fan.

Anyhow, looking forward to talking baseball and Twins with you all from this point forward.
    Love the back story. Welcome to the game! Look forward to seeing you post ... just jump in any time!

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Ahoy there. I'm not even a long-time lurker here, but I've picked up an interest in baseball and adopted the Twins over the last year-or-so through a friendship I have with a fellow Twins fan who lives in Minnesota, and my desire to read and learn more about the game and about the Twins has led me to these fine pages.

I'm a "Limey" posting from a town called Brighton in England, which is on the coast about 50 miles south of London. My first love is football (soccer), and my team is Brighton and Hove Albion, also known as the Seagulls. I see parallels between Brighton FC and the Twins in that I guess neither can be considered one of the big, successful clubs in the game, although both have had some success in years gone by. Also both have recently moved into beautiful new stadiums, so already I kind of feel a kindred spirit between the two clubs. Supporting what could be considered an underdog team comes very naturally to me ! I'm the complete opposite of a glory hunter. Any success that comes our way just feels all the sweeter for it, so I was never going to latch on to one of the bigger more ubiquitous teams. I would no more be seen wearing one of those Yankees caps than I would a Manchester United shirt - the latter of which I wouldn't even use to wash my car with. Boooo.

So I follow the Twins progress online by reading the Bleachers reports, checking scores on the excellent At Bat app, as well as watching them live on the MLB.com website when I can (and when I can stay up long enough, given that I'm 5 or 6 hours ahead of you guys!). I'm a total newbie still learning the game, wet behind the ears and greener than Shrek, but hopefully through reading this forum I'll pick up some of the nuances and gain a deeper understanding of the game.

Please be gentle with me....

7. These 6 users like Easy 10's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (04-08-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-08-2014), JB_Iowa (04-08-2014), Sconnie (04-08-2014), snepp (04-08-2014), USAFChief (04-08-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
    Ahoy there. I'm not even a long-time lurker here, but I've picked up an interest in baseball and adopted the Twins over the last year-or-so through a friendship I have with a fellow Twins fan who lives in Minnesota, and my desire to read and learn more about the game and about the Twins has led me to these fine pages.

I'm a "Limey" posting from a town called Brighton in England, which is on the coast about 50 miles south of London. My first love is football (soccer), and my team is Brighton and Hove Albion, also known as the Seagulls. I see parallels between Brighton FC and the Twins in that I guess neither can be considered one of the big, successful clubs in the game, although both have had some success in years gone by. Also both have recently moved into beautiful new stadiums, so already I kind of feel a kindred spirit between the two clubs. Supporting what could be considered an underdog team comes very naturally to me ! I'm the complete opposite of a glory hunter. Any success that comes our way just feels all the sweeter for it, so I was never going to latch on to one of the bigger more ubiquitous teams. I would no more be seen wearing one of those Yankees caps than I would a Manchester United shirt - the latter of which I wouldn't even use to wash my car with. Boooo.

So I follow the Twins progress online by reading the Bleachers reports, checking scores on the excellent At Bat app, as well as watching them live on the MLB.com website when I can (and when I can stay up long enough, given that I'm 5 or 6 hours ahead of you guys!). I'm a total newbie still learning the game, wet behind the ears and greener than Shrek, but hopefully through reading this forum I'll pick up some of the nuances and gain a deeper understanding of the game.

Please be gentle with me....
    Welcome, Easy 10, from across the 'pond.' You won't find a better site for all things Twins. Enjoy your trip into baseball fanaticism!

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Welcome, Easy 10, from across the 'pond.' You won't find a better site for all things Twins. Enjoy your trip into baseball fanaticism!
    Much appreciated ChiTown, thanks for the warm welcome !

A vists to Target Field to take in a game or three is definitely on my bucket list. I have always had a stadium addiction, and TF really looks amazing. I'll need very little persuasion to take up JB_Iowa on that steak either.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Ahoy there...
    Please continue to post and ask questions! We only ask (well, I am asking) that you occasionally trade with us some of your football knowledge.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Much appreciated ChiTown, thanks for the warm welcome !

A vists to Target Field to take in a game or three is definitely on my bucket list. I have always had a stadium addiction, and TF really looks amazing. I'll need very little persuasion to take up JB_Iowa on that steak either.

Come to Iowa -- Best beef in the world! I can go to my local butcher and we can even trace it to the farm where it was raised!

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Please continue to post and ask questions! We only ask (well, I am asking) that you occasionally trade with us some of your football knowledge.
    Ooh happily !
    I'm in a particularly good mood tonight as my team Brighton (The Seagulls) just won 4-1 away at the league leaders Leicester City. HUGE result for us, as with 5 games to go we are chasing hard for a Playoff spot.

This is our stadium - its called the American Express Community Stadium, so theres another connection. We had to fight tooth and nail to get this built, and we're very proud of it.

Seeeeaaaggguullsss

(sorry, I'm getting carried away...)

13. This user likes Easy 10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-08-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Come to Iowa -- Best beef in the world! I can go to my local butcher and we can even trace it to the farm where it was raised!
    You're on.

I had a 22oz Porterhouse steak in Orlando a few years back, and I still salivate uncontrollably when I think about it. Oh my god, you americans sure know how to grill.

*drool*

15. These 2 users like Easy 10's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-12-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-08-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Welcome Easy 10, glad to have you aboard.

Nice to have a knowledgeable football fan on the board, look forward to some discussion in the Sports Bar. My Mom was born and raised in Liverpool and most of my family still lives there , so sorry I'm a diehard Reds fan (although half the family are blue noses). I'm on pins and needles waiting on this weekends match with Man City. It would be so nice to see the title after 24 long years, especially for Gerrard and a win would go a long way in that.

That's a beautiful looking stadium, how many does it seat?

p.s. I share your hatred of Man U, I wouldn't wipe my a** with one of those shirts.

17. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-12-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Welcome Easy 10, glad to have you aboard.

Nice to have a knowledgeable football fan on the board, look forward to some discussion in the Sports Bar. My Mom was born and raised in Liverpool and most of my family still lives there , so sorry I'm a diehard Reds fan (although half the family are blue noses). I'm on pins and needles waiting on this weekends match with Man City. It would be so nice to see the title after 24 long years, especially for Gerrard and a win would go a long way in that.

That's a beautiful looking stadium, how many does it seat?

p.s. I share your hatred of Man U, I wouldn't wipe my a** with one of those shirts.
    Hehe, thanks twinsnorth, glad to be here. I would have expressed our mutual despising of Man Utd in more colourful terms, but I wasn't sure if I could say a**e on here ! The Amex (as we call it) seats 30,500, and is mostly sold out for every game so makes for a great atmosphere.

As an aside, I have a lot of respect for Liverpool FC. You may or may not be aware, but this Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, so every game is kicking off at 3.07pm (instead of 3pm). 3.07 was the minute that fateful game was stopped by the referee, as the tragic events of that day began to unravel.

I'll be at the Amex for our game....its going to be very poignant.

Well here it goes. My first post on TD. Been a fan a for about a year now. Believe it or not my first real year as a Twin fan was 1982. Yes, that 1982, the one where the Twins lost 102 games and of course their first year in the Dome. I spent much of the summer, when not hanging out with my friends, listening to Herb Carneal on the radio. I was enthralled with all the talk about this team loaded with rookies. Kent Hrbek, Gary Gaetti, Tim Laudner, Lenny Faedo, Jim Eisenreich, Dave Engle, Randy Bush and Frank Viola and later joined by Tom Brunansky. I was too young to really appreciate how dreadful they were in 1982. It didn't matter. Something in my naÔve and untainted mind told me that this was a special group of players and that this was going to lead to something big. I remember taking all kinds of flack from my friends for leaving whatever game we were playing early to go home and listen to the Twins(not many on TV back then). I actually kept track of all the homers they hit. Well all that loyalty paid off with 7 game series win in 1987.

I see the same glimmers of hope for the Twin's future now that we saw in 1982. Yes, we are going to have to be patient. But the likes of Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Stewart, Gibson, Hicks, Arcia, Pinto, Gonsalves, Rosario, etc,etc give me even more optimism than that naÔve teen back in 82. Good times are ahead ladies and gentlemen and I am truly glad to have found a site that will allow us to relish together as hardcore Twins fans in the joyous moments to come!

With all that said, my avatar will tell you that I was even more of a North Stars fan.....and if I ever saw Norm Green in person...........

20. These 4 users like Bill T's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-08-2014), glunn (04-12-2014), Sconnie (04-08-2014), snepp (04-08-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Hehe, thanks twinsnorth, glad to be here. I would have expressed our mutual despising of Man Utd in more colourful terms, but I wasn't sure if I could say a**e on here ! The Amex (as we call it) seats 30,500, and is mostly sold out for every game so makes for a great atmosphere.

As an aside, I have a lot of respect for Liverpool FC. You may or may not be aware, but this Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, so every game is kicking off at 3.07pm (instead of 3pm). 3.07 was the minute that fateful game was stopped by the referee, as the tragic events of that day began to unravel.

I'll be at the Amex for our game....its going to be very poignant.
    Nothing to colourful when it comes to United!

I'm very aware of the Hillsborough disaster and the upcoming anniversary. The very first name on the memorial outside of Anfield is my Mom's uncle, John Alfred Anderson, I remember it pretty vividly. Two of my cousins were also at the game, it was pretty stressful as the phones were tied all day and my Aunt couldn't hear from them, fortunately they were ok, they were lifted from the madness.

I have a special Liverpool/Everton commemorative scarf from the memorial service at Anfield, not something you see everyday.

A win over Man City would be a special way to mark the day for the fans.

Good luck in the playoff hunt!

Before every home game, the Liverpool fans sing You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Wednesday after the Hillsborough disaster, a European Cup semi-final game between A.C. Milan and Real Madrid was played. The referee stopped play two minutes into the game to hold a minute's silence for those who lost their lives at Hillsborough. Halfway through the minute's silence, the A.C. Milan fans sang Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone" as a sign of respect.

This is one of the greatest examples of sportsmanship I have ever seen.

Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.

23. This user likes steve's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-12-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
    Well here it goes. My first post on TD. Been a fan a for about a year now. Believe it or not my first real year as a Twin fan was 1982. Yes, that 1982, the one where the Twins lost 102 games and of course their first year in the Dome. I spent much of the summer, when not hanging out with my friends, listening to Herb Carneal on the radio. I was enthralled with all the talk about this team loaded with rookies. Kent Hrbek, Gary Gaetti, Tim Laudner, Lenny Faedo, Jim Eisenreich, Dave Engle, Randy Bush and Frank Viola and later joined by Tom Brunansky. I was too young to really appreciate how dreadful they were in 1982. It didn't matter. Something in my naÔve and untainted mind told me that this was a special group of players and that this was going to lead to something big. I remember taking all kinds of flack from my friends for leaving whatever game we were playing early to go home and listen to the Twins(not many on TV back then). I actually kept track of all the homers they hit. Well all that loyalty paid off with 7 game series win in 1987.

I see the same glimmers of hope for the Twin's future now that we saw in 1982. Yes, we are going to have to be patient. But the likes of Sano, Buxton, Meyer, Stewart, Gibson, Hicks, Arcia, Pinto, Gonsalves, Rosario, etc,etc give me even more optimism than that naÔve teen back in 82. Good times are ahead ladies and gentlemen and I am truly glad to have found a site that will allow us to relish together as hardcore Twins fans in the joyous moments to come!

With all that said, my avatar will tell you that I was even more of a North Stars fan.....and if I ever saw Norm Green in person...........
    I remember those years in the 80s too. Hopefully we'll recapture that magic soon! Thanks for posting!

25. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-12-2014)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill T View Post

Welcome Bill T. It's really encouraging to see so many new posters brave the forums.

27. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (04-12-2014)

New to the forum and someone told me to post here and tell a bit about myself. Well... from my user name, I guess you can tell I'm a big fan of Willingham and have become a Twins fan over the last 3 years he's been here. I'm from his hometown and know him and his family pretty good and know that he really likes playing for the Twins and has a lot of optimism this year for the team's capability. I'm a former Yankees fan growing up with Mantle as my hero. (yeah.. I know, I'm old ). With the way Doz.. Pluff.. Waldo.. Esco.. and Hammer are swinging right now and if Santana can get hot again, we have the potential to put some runs on the board. Need one more solid pitcher and a decent CF and I may not see Josh back home in Alabama at the end of Sept. That would be great! Go Twins!

29. These 5 users like ThaBamaHamma's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-05-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (06-05-2014), glunn (06-09-2014), snepp (06-05-2014), twinsnorth49 (06-05-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Welcome, 'bama! Hope you've abandoned your Yankee ways ...

31. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ThaBamaHamma (06-05-2014)

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast