Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Lurkers and rookies please post here

Liked 290 Times in 162 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zakprior View Post
    Hi All, long time lurker here. Love the Twins and Baseball. I come from and live in London, UK, but maintain a large support for all twin cities teams. Having had family live in the twin cities for 8 years, I developed a passion for the teams, especially the twins, despite living 2000 miles away. The family have now moved on to Colorado, but I maintain my love for Minnesota sports.

I found Twins Daily at the beginning of the 2012 season and have been a regular reader of blog posts, and the forums ever since. Having just seen this thread I thought it would be a good idea to say hello and introduce myself. Hopefully from now on I will post a bit more. Also hoping to come to the US in the summer, and make it to some twins games.
    Welcome Zak. I hope to see more from you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    I have been reading TD for about a year now. I love the site, as I love baseball and my Twins. Am hoping the three-year ineptitude is at its end and the future starts this year with Sano, Meyer and Buxton making appearances with the big boys sometime this year. Actually would not be too disappointed if it comes later as we may be going to New Britain in June.
    Thanks for joining in, and I hope that now that the ice has been broken you will post in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Just looking at your name, I would have guessed you were a bigger fan of Battey's backup catcher throughout those mid-60s teams... Jerry Zimmerman!
    While I certainly remember him, I was a bit too young to really have any strong attraction to him for that reason. Besides, Zimmerman is not all that uncommon a surname wherever those of German descent (like myself) tended to congregate when they immigrated from the old country.

Autographs at Twinsfest: I have a collection of about 60 Autographed Twins Baseballs. Ranging from Bernardo Brito to Rod Carew. I'm amazed at the poor quality of the younger players autographs. Roy Smalley gives a great autograph. As do Tony Oliva, Rod Carew, Tim Laudner and Dick Stigman. Mike Pelfrey's was acceptable. But if you pulled a guy off the street and asked him to tell you the name on the ball he'd have no clue. Joe Mauer might get recognized just because it's Mauer. I think Anthony Swarzak, Alex Myer and Chris Parmelee try a little. But Alex Presley and Phil Hughes you'd be hard pressed to know whose autograph it was even it you were a huge Twins fan. Jason Bartlett's autograph is a joke (and he impressed me as somewhat of a smug ass Twinsfest). And Vance Worley is nothing but a scribble. At least he leaves his number by his scribble so you can look up who it is.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    I'm amazed at the poor quality of the younger players autographs. Roy Smalley gives a great autograph. As do Tony Oliva, Rod Carew, Tim Laudner and Dick Stigman. Mike Pelfrey's was acceptable.
    No mention of Killebrew's signature quality?

On the subject, here are a couple of nuggets on Harmon getting Twins to sign better autographs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_col&c_id=col

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...neau-has-mixed
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

6. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-11-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by MNRebel View Post
    This is a great site. The minor league reports are a daily read during the season...thanks a million for those. It is also great to know there are so many passionate fans of our favorite team. Is this too optomistic for producing runs?

July 4, 2014 batting order

#1 - Byron Buxton, CF
    #2 - Eddie Rosario, 2B
    #3 - Joe Mauer, 1B
    #4 - Miguel Sano, 3B
    #5 - Josh Willingham, DH
    #6 - Oswaldo Arcia, RF
    #7 - Josmil Pinto, C
    #8 - Aaron Hicks, LF
    #9 - Pedro Florimon, SS

I'd buy a ticket.
    Nice lineup. I love your optimism. One note: Arcia belongs in leftfield and Hicks in right. Need to take advantage of Hicks' range and great arm. Also, I suggest getting rid of Willingham. Kubel and Plouffe can rotate through that position. Finally, there is a lot of youth in the that line up and scoring runs might be a challenge. Now scoring runs in 2016 is a different issue - a little seasoning goes a long way.
    Last edited by dakotanative; 02-09-2014 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling

8. This user likes dakotanative's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-09-2014)

I've subscribed to Twins Territory Team the past few years, because it includes a field tour and some other stuff and Gameday audio for the same price as just getting Gameday Audio all by itself. I didn't get a renewal email this year (I don't think) and now I can't find it on the minnesotatwins website. Is TTT gone? Anyone know?

Taking a huge leap of faith (in responding to this question ) here fellas (that's a generic fellas, posting women). I am truly a beginner and quite happy in my role as lurker. Because I have a kid who plays (pitches) I have become a huge fan of baseball and I am just really starting to learn about it during the last 4 years. It's a great sport to try and understand if you don't know anything about it because there is so much to read. I come to this website to learn about the nuances of the game, the strengths and (and weaknesses) of the players, and all the stuff you might miss if you are just watching. I don't have much to say, I just want to learn. So thanks.

11. These 8 users like A beginner's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-17-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (02-17-2014), glunn (02-18-2014), Halsey Hall (02-18-2014), JB_Iowa (02-18-2014), Kevin (02-19-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-17-2014), USAFChief (02-18-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 769 Times in 481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A beginner View Post
    Taking a huge leap of faith (in responding to this question ) here fellas (that's a generic fellas, posting women). I am truly a beginner and quite happy in my role as lurker. Because I have a kid who plays (pitches) I have become a huge fan of baseball and I am just really starting to learn about it during the last 4 years. It's a great sport to try and understand if you don't know anything about it because there is so much to read. I come to this website to learn about the nuances of the game, the strengths and (and weaknesses) of the players, and all the stuff you might miss if you are just watching. I don't have much to say, I just want to learn. So thanks.
    Welcome! And don't be afraid to ask questions ... but be prepared for a wide variety of answers as we all seem to have a little different take on things!
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

13. These 2 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-18-2014), JB_Iowa (02-18-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 586 Times in 316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A beginner View Post
    Great to have you aboard.

15. These 2 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-18-2014), JB_Iowa (02-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Welcome! And don't be afraid to ask questions ... but be prepared for a wide variety of answers as we all seem to have a little different take on things!
    I don't need to ask questions, I can just sit back and watch you all weigh in on "the answer" to someone else's question. It's why I come here.

I just came across this site over the holidays and have made it what it's called as a lurker for the six weeks since then. My browser tabs usually go GMail, Yahoo Mail, Ebay, TwinsDaily of late. I decided to create an account today. It's been great reading all the articles and discussions around the direction of the team. I guess I'd like to ask why the Twins seem to be so interested in cornering the market on soft-tossing AAAA lefties of late. I guess if they could get 16 of them and each one makes an Albers-esque debut and follow-up, they'd be set.

18. These 6 users like slash129's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-18-2014), glunn (02-18-2014), JB_Iowa (02-18-2014), snepp (02-18-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-18-2014), USAFChief (02-18-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slash129 View Post
    I just came across this site over the holidays and have made it what it's called as a lurker for the six weeks since then. My browser tabs usually go GMail, Yahoo Mail, Ebay, TwinsDaily of late. I decided to create an account today. It's been great reading all the articles and discussions around the direction of the team. I guess I'd like to ask why the Twins seem to be so interested in cornering the market on soft-tossing AAAA lefties of late. I guess if they could get 16 of them and each one makes an Albers-esque debut and follow-up, they'd be set.
    Good first post. I think that you will find your topic of interest in multiple threads. Please feel free to join in.

Smile

I've been checking this site for well over a year now and really enjoy the articles but haven't posed much do to some of the remarks that have been made. I've been a Twins fan for nearly 50 years and follow them as well as their minor league teams. I can't get enough of Twins related news so I was wondering what other sites are out there for a Twins finatic like me?

21. These 2 users like messed up's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-22-2014), glunn (02-21-2014)

Hey all new here been lurking for about a year and love the articles and insight from fellow posters. I probably wont post much as I don't have much to say but just throwing my name out there so I am not a complete stranger. Go Twins! Cant wait to see what the next few years bring to the organization!

23. These 4 users like LC34's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-21-2014), JB_Iowa (02-19-2014), Riverbrian (02-19-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-19-2014)

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by messed up View Post
    I've been checking this site for well over a year now and really enjoy the articles but haven't posed much do to some of the remarks that have been made. I've been a Twins fan for nearly 50 years and follow them as well as their minor league teams. I can't get enough of Twins related news so I was wondering what other sites are out there for a Twins finatic like me?
    I'm sorry about some of the remarks that may have bothered you. I went back and looked at your posts and the responses seemed pretty mild to me (but maybe some have been deleted). There is a lot of back and forth on this site but most of it is pretty good-natured. And the mods do a good job of keeping it that way.

I don't know if you'll find a site you will like better (and can't recommend any because TD is my daily fix) but I think if you post a little more often, you'll find that other posters may sometimes disagree with you but generally in a cordial way. it takes a little bit of time to find your footing and the threads that are most welcoming and a best "fit" for you but over time that develops. If nothing else, once the season starts, check out the game threads. They are a bit like walking into a sports bar -- you have to get your feet wet but overall, other posters are glad to see new "faces" (and less intense than in some of the main threads).

25. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-21-2014), Riverbrian (02-19-2014)

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LC34 View Post
    I probably wont post much as I don't have much to say
    Short posts are often the best!!!

Signed,

A bag of wind (that's me)

27. These 4 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-22-2014), Riverbrian (02-19-2014), snepp (02-19-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-19-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    If nothing else, once the season starts, check out the game threads. They are a bit like walking into a sports bar -- you have to get your feet wet but overall, other posters are glad to see new "faces" (and less intense than in some of the main threads).
    This is fantastic advice, x100.

29. These 4 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (02-21-2014), glunn (02-21-2014), Riverbrian (02-19-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-19-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 586 Times in 316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by messed up View Post
    This should be the only one you need, if you want to know what's happening with the Twins, you'll find it here.

Don't be discouraged by some possible negative responses, I'm not sure when those might have been but the moderation has come a long way and we're pretty intolerant about members being disrespectful to one another. There is also the "report post" function which I would encourage you to utilize if you feel someone is stepping over the line.

I think for the most part once you get involved and get a sense for where people are coming from you might enjoy posting more often, the discussions are always lively, interesting and more than a bit passionate at times.

31. These 3 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-21-2014), JB_Iowa (02-19-2014), thetank (02-21-2014)

Blog Entries
    Welcome, new blood. We all started as lurkers then rookies, and the primary goal is to have fun talking about baseball.

33. This user likes glunn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (02-21-2014)

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast