Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lurkers and rookies please post here

I have been lurking on this forum since day one and have really enjoyed the forum. Been a Twins fan since I was a little kid growing up in Colorado (parents from Minnesota). I am now raising my own little empire of Twins fans in Colorado. We have followed the Twins via MLB Extra Innings or MLB TV over the years. Additionally because of work travel I am able to watch a few games live every years.

I know the last few years have been rough, but I see a very bright future for the franchise in the coming years. How bright will ultimately depend on the development of young starting pitching. I am excited about the coming year as it should be a transition year from terrible to average. Or at least that is the hope. We should also get to see a lot of the young talent we have heard about over the past few years.

Thanks for the warm welcoming.

2. These 4 users like DaNutz's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-26-2013), glunn (12-28-2013), JB_Iowa (01-05-2014), snepp (12-26-2013)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Well, here goes. For those who think Deduno might start the season not on the DL, here is a discussion about recovery for pitchers from the rotator cuff portion of the surgery Deduno had in September. Granted, this was the state of the art in 2007, but still.

On top of this, he also had repair of the tearing of the cartilaginous labrum. The prognosis for most pitchers with this injury is not good.

One of the two people talking optimistically about this is his agent (he might be biased) and the other is Terry Ryan, similarly optimistic. One wonders how the surgeon views the chances of ultimate 100% recovery and the odds of his patient being ready for spring training.

I wish Deduno well.
    Last edited by Kevin; 12-27-2013 at 02:00 PM.

4. These 3 users like Kevin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-28-2013), JB_Iowa (01-05-2014), Sconnie (01-05-2014)

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maars View Post
    Minneapolis native and long-time lurker on these forums here. I've been thinking about the Pelfrey signing a bit, and the most sense that I can make out of it is that the front office is going to trade Correia at some point this season. Tommy John aside, Pelfrey has been good for more innings per season than Correia and has a similar career ERA, FIP, xFIP and SIERA. With that in mind, the Pelfrey signing is essentially a one year extension for Correia and a trip back four years in a time machine, plus whatever today's version of Correia can net us in a trade. At least that's what I'm hoping. The two are too similar for the Twins to carry both of them on their roster for too long, especially with the likes of Alex Meyer and Trevor May starting the year at AAA.

On a similar note, given the fact that Logan Darnell, Pat Dean, and AJ Achter seem to have earned a chance at the AAA level, I wonder if the Twins aren't at least trying to see what the market is for Samuel Deduno and Andrew Albers. That would leave Diamond, Worley and Gibson to fight it out for the final spot in the starting rotation. Even after the horror show they all produced last season, I'm betting that one or two of them can put it back together well enough to produce around a 4.40 ERA out of that fifth spot.

Even packaging Correia, Deduno and Albers together wouldn't likely net the Twins a prospect that would crack the organization's top 20, but between them I would expect the Twins to be able to net two or three C/C+ prospects. Not too impressive, but being able to add another of the likes of Daniel Santana, Miguel Sulbaran, or Niko Goodrum would be good return for any of these players as the Twins continue their rebuilding process.
    Welcome, Rookie. This is an excellent post.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNutz View Post
    I have been lurking on this forum since day one and have really enjoyed the forum. Been a Twins fan since I was a little kid growing up in Colorado (parents from Minnesota). I am now raising my own little empire of Twins fans in Colorado. We have followed the Twins via MLB Extra Innings or MLB TV over the years. Additionally because of work travel I am able to watch a few games live every years.

I know the last few years have been rough, but I see a very bright future for the franchise in the coming years. How bright will ultimately depend on the development of young starting pitching. I am excited about the coming year as it should be a transition year from terrible to average. Or at least that is the hope. We should also get to see a lot of the young talent we have heard about over the past few years.

Thanks for the warm welcoming.
    It's great to have you on board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Well, here goes. For those who think Deduno might start the season not on the DL, here is a discussion about recovery for pitchers from the rotator cuff portion of the surgery Deduno had in September. Granted, this was the state of the art in 2007, but still.

On top of this, he also had repair of the tearing of the cartilaginous labrum. The prognosis for most pitchers with this injury is not good.

One of the two people talking optimistically about this is his agent (he might be biased) and the other is Terry Ryan, similarly optimistic. One wonders how the surgeon views the chances of ultimate 100% recovery and the odds of his patient being ready for spring training.

I wish Deduno well.
    Nice post. Please keep those interesting links coming.

Blog Entries
    Bump.

9. This user likes glunn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-02-2014)

Looks like I'm a few days behind everyone else, but here goes anyway. Signed up because my wife is sick of me telling her about what I read.
    Been a fan of the site for a while now.
    Couple initial thoughts.

Garza - I say if Ryan can get him for the 3 years $54 million I believe Wolfson tweeted. Go for it. Bring in the pitching and let everything work itself out in the spring.

3B - I know the Twins want guys that can play everyday and they may not want to block Sano, but anyone have any thoughts on potentially bringing in a platoon partner for Plouffe? Wilson Betemit is a free agent with a noticeable split favoring his left side. He isn't much of a defender, but neither is Plouffe. Just seems like a bit of a waste to bring in the pitching and not at least look for a little bit of an offense upgrade. Plouffe definitely has more success vs. lefties and Betemit isn't the kind of commitment that would block Sano once he is ready.

40-man implications on both Garza and Betmit, but there are options there in my opinion.

11. These 5 users like AWOLNATION_11's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-05-2014), glunn (01-05-2014), JB_Iowa (01-05-2014), Oldgoat_MN (01-05-2014), Twins Fan From Afar (01-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good first post.

I agree that adding Garza would be good if he can be had for 3 years. In fact, I'm probably among the few around here who would consider something longer or maybe vesting years if he stays healthy those 3 years.

As for 3B, I agree that exploring a platoon partner for Plouffe would be worth exploring. Part of the problem, though, is that FA 3Bs and their agents know that Miguel Sano is on the Twins doorstep and not many of them will be anxious to sign on to be part of a platoon in April that may well not exist when Sano shows up in July and they want him playing against all pitching. Maybe a trade for a part time 3B if it doesn't cost much?
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

13. This user likes Jim Crikket's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-05-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AWOLNATION_11 View Post
    Looks like I'm a few days behind everyone else, but here goes anyway. Signed up because my wife is sick of me telling her about what I read.
    Been a fan of the site for a while now.
    Couple initial thoughts.

Garza - I say if Ryan can get him for the 3 years $54 million I believe Wolfson tweeted. Go for it. Bring in the pitching and let everything work itself out in the spring.

3B - I know the Twins want guys that can play everyday and they may not want to block Sano, but anyone have any thoughts on potentially bringing in a platoon partner for Plouffe? Wilson Betemit is a free agent with a noticeable split favoring his left side. He isn't much of a defender, but neither is Plouffe. Just seems like a bit of a waste to bring in the pitching and not at least look for a little bit of an offense upgrade. Plouffe definitely has more success vs. lefties and Betemit isn't the kind of commitment that would block Sano once he is ready.

40-man implications on both Garza and Betmit, but there are options there in my opinion.
    Welcome to TD (as a poster). I hope to see many more posts from you.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    I still think that the Twins have not yet hit rock bottom, though.
    Good point. It's still a pretty veteran team (crappy, but veteran). The quality will go down when the youth movement goes full swing.

16. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-06-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well written and researched. I wish I was this good of a poster.

18. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-06-2014)

20. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-06-2014)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AWOLNATION_11 View Post
    This is the single best reason I've ever read for starting to post on a forum. I also like the idea of Garza and kicking the tires on Betemit, but I think this was the highlight of your post. :-)

22. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-06-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,303 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trust me, wives are capable of locating the negatives to signing up at TD, as well.

24. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-06-2014), USAFChief (01-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Trust me, wives are capable of locating the negatives to signing up at TD, as well.
    To be fair, I think Twins Daily has made me capable of locating the negatives of signing up for a wife...

(I kid, I kid. Don't post on here much, but it's a wonderful place to get info on the Twinkies from afar. Here's to hoping Parmalee, Plouffe, and Hicks - those players who tend to make Twins fans the most erascible as we ponder just why they can't be consistent - coming through in 2014.)

26. These 4 users like Al Frankensteinbrenner's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-06-2014), glunn (01-06-2014), JB_Iowa (01-07-2014), USAFChief (01-08-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,932 Times in 1,133 Posts
    It's why I will never have one. Oh, wait ... maybe there's a better reason for that ...

28. These 2 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-06-2014), JB_Iowa (01-07-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    It's why I will never have one. Oh, wait ... maybe there's a better reason for that ...
    Which is....?

Hello all. Looks like you have yourselves a nice site going here. I've been on some forums that one could say are significantly 'less moderated' than this appears to be. Some nice, level headed Twins talk is just what I'm looking for. Looks to be a pretty active community also, so there are just a few pluses to joining in.

31. These 4 users like TwinChargers's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-21-2014), glunn (01-21-2014), JB_Iowa (01-21-2014), snepp (01-21-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,932 Times in 1,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinChargers View Post
    Hello all. Looks like you have yourselves a nice site going here. I've been on some forums that one could say are significantly 'less moderated' than this appears to be. Some nice, level headed Twins talk is just what I'm looking for. Looks to be a pretty active community also, so there are just a few pluses to joining in.
    Welcome! Glad you like the site ... I will look forward to reading your future posts!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinChargers View Post

Please check out the TD policy thread at the top of the main forum page. We strive for discussion that is vigorous and interesting, while maintaining a respectful tone.

I hope that you become an active poster.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast