Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lurkers and rookies please post here

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I arrived here via Bill Simmons-Batgirl-Gleeman-Seth and the rest of the crew. Really enjoy the content. Thanks for the site. Now how about some AFL content already!!!

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

Side note to the administrators, you need more horsepower, the site is getting slow to load...
    I'll second that. Slowest site I visit.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Almost? What's the point of being ten years old if you can't cry when they trade your ace?
    10!!? I cried, and I was.....ummm, older than 10.

Quote Originally Posted by lyndon View Post
    And about the Twins WS in 87 and 91 I have a very different take. Back then when I was a kid I lived in Canada and was a Jays fan. I remember really hating the Twins after they beat "my" Jays in the ALCS in 91.
    Thanks for bringing this up, it's one of my favourite Twins memories of all time. As almost all of my friends are Jays fans, it allowed for some of the best gloating I've ever had.

5. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-11-2013)

I stumbled on this site near the beginning of the season and have come back daily to read the articles as well as hear everyone's opinion on the minor league players. I've been a Twins fan since day 1, but the game that changed everything and made me a huge Twins fan was game 4 of the 2002 ALDS against the Athletics. My dad and I happened to be downtown before the game and he decided to see if we could get in. We got cheap seats in the upper deck (behind the rolled up curtain). In the fourth inning the Twins broke the 2-2 tie with a 7 run inning. The Twins ended up winning the game 11-2 which tied the series at 2 game apiece. The crowd went absolutely crazy during that 7 run inning. As an 11 year old kid at this game, the Twins had me hooked.

Anyways, on to my views on a few minor league players. I saw Buxton play in early June in Cedar Rapids. He looks absolutely incredible. No doubt one of the fastest players I have seen in person. I regret not going to see him more when he was still in CR. It will be interesting to see what he can do next season in the minors. Spring Training will be something to watch closely. If Sano puts up a monster Spring Training, will the Twins give him a shot from the beginning or will they take it slow and start him at AAA? (Let's please not start the Sano isn't Hicks argument again). Speaking of Hicks, I haven't given up on him; I think he can turn into a very good MLB player. I hope to see him up next year.

Thanks to everyone who keeps this site going. I might not post too often, but I will be here daily to keep up with the latest Twins news.

7. This user likes MC23's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-13-2014)

This is a great site, I followed Seth over here from his site but Iíve become more of a lurker because of:

1) The Negativity. Someone else mentioned it and I thought Iíd second the thought. Iíve gotten to the point where I donít read the comments, or if I do I just skim thru and read the ones from the original founders.
    2) Lack of tolerance for lack of baseball knowledge. I participate in a lot of other forums on fishing, hunting, farming, etc. and everyone is always very helpful, not here, Iíve been blasted for posting something Ďstupidí. That keeps me from replying to posts, I just lurk instead.
    3) English lessons. Iíve been blasted for using the wrong argument, had ĎOccamís razorí thrown at me Ė what difference does it make? Is this a Twins baseball forum or an English lesson forum?? Again it inhibits posting.

It IS a very informative site, Iíve learned a lot about baseball, and I never used to follow the Twins minor league system. Keep up the good work!!

Side note to the administrators, you need more horsepower, the site is getting slow to load...
    My story is a little different--I came via the Bat Girl, Howard Sinker route...I love the minor league stuff on this site and adapted two prospects in 2013.

Lately I have gotten frustrated by some of the comments and negativity and have started posting less...this site is the SLOWEST to lead of all sites I visit and I find that very frustrating.

I will continue to visit and read stuff that Seth and Nick post. I have started just skimming comments, I may become more of a lurker and not sure I will adapt another prospect.

I'm, an off and on lurker, found though Bonnes on KFAN and G & G. I follow Parker and Seth on Twitter. Great site for minors info.

Here's my take. Terry Ryan needs to buy pitchers this off season if he wants fans to care next season.

He has used trades, rule 5 draft, 1st year player draft and the waiver claim process well.

I don't want the Twins to used the minor league talent they have worked so hard to build up, to give it away via trade. I feel Terry Ryan is like the old guy who still remembers when candy bars were a nickel. You just have to pay for talent. You need more big league talent. Don't give away the talent/prospects you have. Take a shot at Phil Hughes and Tim Linsecum... and get them. Or wow us by getting Tanaka. Don't just say you were in on them. The fans will forgive you if you overspend on starting pitching. Build a bridge to the talent that is coming and we won't have to be so depressed when they may struggle out of the gate i.e Gibson.

Is it unreasonable to ask that the Twins use the money they didn't spend this year and roll it over into next year, in addition to just adding to the payroll from last year?

Liked 1,199 Times in 697 Posts
    I'm the same age as Terry Ryan.

I remember "lunch bars" -- 3 cents!
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 10-19-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Oops! Ryan is actually almost 2 years older than me. He must remember 3 cent candy bars. Penny candy, too!

It's hard to imagine cheering for the Jays now. BTW twinsnorth are you from Manitoba? It seems like there's a decent number of Twins fans up there? I grew up in Swan River.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    So you hit a home run in your first and only at bat, then you retire? Teaser!

I understand your dislike for the negativity and the bickering. The moderators are working hard to reduce the bickering. The negativity is another matter. We have some members who are generally negative and critical, and other members who are generally positive and supportive of the FO. We are trying to foster intelligent, respectful debate that includes the extremists from both ends of the spectrum, and that means that there will continue to be some posts that are annoyingly negative. There will also be posts that some people find annoyingly positive.

I am grateful for your post. Even our senior moderators have been doing this for less than a year. We are all rookies and we are learning as we go. Your input and AshburyJohn's response have crystallized some ideas in my mind and I hope that you will let us know if you find a better bar -- we are open to learning from the success of others.
    I'd like to think I've hit 1,000HRs, but if this is the standard well....

It's hard to imagine cheering for the Jays now. BTW twinsnorth are you from Manitoba? It seems like there's a decent number of Twins fans up there? I grew up in Swan River.
    Yup, I'm a born and bred Winnipegger, nice to see another 'Toban aboard. I spent a week in Swan River one afternoon (Harry Chapin credit).

You're right, there is a fair number of Twins fans in Manitoba, it's surprising how much Twins merch you see being worn here, I sometimes think we out number Jays fans in these parts, some of my friends aside.
    My Grandfather was a huge Killebrew fan and my love for the team was born from that, I've never taken to the Jays, I've only been to a couple of games in TO but have seen the Twins countless times in all 3 stadiums, they are a much more natural team to root for due to the proximity and realistic opportunity to attend games.

My second team was the Expos, I always had a soft spot for them and was a big Steve Rogers fan, it was sad when they left.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 10-20-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Yes! I loved the Expos! I actually probably liked them more than the Jays. It's just they never got anywhere.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 9 years old, sitting on my living room floor in Regina, Sk, Canada watching Kirby Puckett make an amazing catch against the plexi glass at the Metrodome, then later, the game winning home run to force a game 7 in the 1991 World Series. I had never seen such an amazing performance before.

Up until this point my parents would usually make the 3 day drive to Phoenix, Arizona for spring training baseball. But after the 1991 World Series, things changed. In 1992 we made the 12 or 13 hour drive to Minneapolis to watch baseball instead. We ended up having such a great time that we have been going back (not every year, but many years) ever since. My dad and I have become die hard Twins fans and our family enjoys going back to Minnesota every chance we get.

We have seen dozens of live Twins games at the Metrodome and Target Field in the 20+ years that we have been going there. We have seen and met a lot of great Twins players over the years. And in general, whether it's watching live sporting events, shopping, going to the zoo, or just going out on the town, Minnesota has been great to us. The people of Minnesota are friendly and we always look forward to our next trip down south.

It's been tough watching the Twins over the last 3 years and I"m sure the next couple years will be tough as well. However, I really hope the Twins become contenders in the next few years. I hope the front office isn't afraid to spend $ once the young guys are established MLB players. I'm about as die hard of a fan as you can find, but even I have to admit that it's painful watching the front office kick the can down the road like they are currently doing.

Yes! I loved the Expos! I actually probably liked them more than the Jays. It's just they never got anywhere.
    Who knows how history could have turned out differently if that cursed strike of '94 never happened.

I am the definition of a lurker. I read this site every day and have my own account. I feel like I'm in break-up mode since I don't have minor league updates in my life. My guess at my lack of posts is that I grew up in a strange time in Twins history (born in 86). My remembered golden days are the almost perennial pink slip from the Yankee in the playoffs. I cant imagine how it felt to go to bed knowing game 7 was tomorrow! Now I've watched a slow slip into mediocrity (and worse) and all the negativity already exist without my comments.

After reading a few other threads I believe we should model ourselves after the A's. Not necessarily flipping talent so fast and worrying about a budget, but building in a way to catch lightning in a bottle and ride that electricity into the playoffs. I might guess our championship teams weren't so different. Yes, a dynasty would be wonderful but the Twins don't seem to have that mindset.

Sign Josh Johnson to a one year 9MM with crazy incentives. That ace potential with our pitchers park seems worth it then hopefully resign him if there's mutual interest. Get Phil Hughes for 3 years since he's relatively young. Not sure how much cause I feel his salary is going to be inflated. Next, get Kazmir as well! Solid history (though TR doesn't pay for it and Lincecum is trending negatively for me to name him) and shouldn't be too expensive. I'd go 6-8MM for a number of years offset of Hughes. Last, sign Aledmys Diaz, Cuban SS. Those moves probably exhaust our extra payroll but, at face value, seem to address short and long term goals as the minor league cavalry are on their way.

Thanks if you read this. Haha.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    I have a reason for taking you on a trip down my memory lane. Since the season has ended (at times during the season), most of the discussion here at TwinsDaily has taken a negative, many times aggressive tone. Quoting dictionary definitions and having moderators have to give out warnings on regular basis is a bit over the top for me. I don’t want to give the impression that I don’t think there should be discussion on both sides of a topic. That is the root of all sports fans. I will say that if your only measure of success for the Twins is to make the playoffs, win the playoffs, and win the World Series, you probably are in for a lot of disappointment. I don’t say that because it’s the Twins – There were 20 teams in the same boat this year. I can’t help but fear that the disappointment will diminish your overall Twins experience and cloud the memories that come with it.

I’ve been trying to find an analogy… Being at TwinsDaily is like going with friends to a Bar to discuss the Twins. Everyone will have an opinion and there will be disagreements. If there is that one friend that is always negative and repeats the same arguments over and over, you’d stop asking them to come to the bar with you. I know this is not the right thing to do especially with TwinsDaily. As an alternative, I can look for another bar.
    This more or less describes why, despite my post count, I'm basically a lurker these days too. Sometimes it's difficult to contain my frustration with the same old crap over and over again.

Though I have found the ignore function to be a ridiculously useful tool. There's still a lot of good content here, and it helps not to have sort through the usual suspects. I also tend to spend more time over on the minor league side of things. It's nicer there.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    The biggest reason I come to the site is that one of my best friends in high school was Seth Stohs and I really enjoy checking up on him since we don't have a chance to talk very much anymore. Seth stood up for me at my wedding like 19 years ago and I have always had a lot of respect for him as a person.
    19 years ago... man, you're old!! Ha!!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    What a great thread. Thanks everyone.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    This is a great site, I followed Seth over here from his site but Iíve become more of a lurker because of:

1) The Negativity. Someone else mentioned it and I thought Iíd second the thought. Iíve gotten to the point where I donít read the comments, or if I do I just skim thru and read the ones from the original founders.
    2) Lack of tolerance for lack of baseball knowledge. I participate in a lot of other forums on fishing, hunting, farming, etc. and everyone is always very helpful, not here, Iíve been blasted for posting something Ďstupidí. That keeps me from replying to posts, I just lurk instead.
    3) English lessons. Iíve been blasted for using the wrong argument, had ĎOccamís razorí thrown at me Ė what difference does it make? Is this a Twins baseball forum or an English lesson forum?? Again it inhibits posting.

It IS a very informative site, Iíve learned a lot about baseball, and I never used to follow the Twins minor league system. Keep up the good work!!

Great feedback. I really do appreciate the feedback, and I 100% agree with all of it. One of the fears I had, and I honestly don't think there is a realistic solution, was as a site gets bigger and more populated, the comments can become a horrible experience. Frankly, I don't participate in as many forum discussions as I used to because of 1.) the negativity, 2.) the name calling and 3.) the inability to get over things. But I definitely appreciate our forum moderators who are doign a great job trying to keep it respectable. I've never understood why some commenters feel the need to be confrontational, especially in discussing a game like baseball where there are so few absolutes.

I wish I had come to this forum sooner. These have been great to read. The stories, and the feedback. For what it's worth, I welcome people to message me any time you have a question or something you feel needs to be brought up.

Thank you all!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Always feel free to join me in saying something "stupid", I do it quite often. I just cannot get into the advanced stats that people like to throw around. I can learn from them but I will never really absorb them. But there is room for a lot of different perspectives so I hope you'll post from time to time. (And, if you just want to post for fun, go into the game chats on occasion once the season starts again. )

The mods are really working to clamp down on some of the things that you complain about (a little too much for me sometimes because it stops the flow of the thread but it does seem to have paid off in a little more civility).

And I agree that the site has gotten slow although to add to that, it seems a little more sporadic to me and not necessarily when people are posting a lot so I don't get it.
    I agree on the site speed, and it's something we look at a lot.

As for the advanced stats, I do find that to be an interesting topic. I think about the TwinsCentric writers and reading their/our stories. I know I typically will only use BA/OBP/SLG (OPS), maybe occasionally WAR. I don't know that the other writers use them real frequently either.

This is making me think because often the term "blogger" is used in conjunction with "Stathead" or those types of terms, and I don't know if that's always true. There are times, but not too much. I'm kind of wondering as I'm typing this if we read more Advanced Stats in the Comments section than in the stories themselves. Interesting. I'll have to think about that going forward.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast