Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lurkers and rookies please post here

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    Yeah, he hit .244, which is nothing special. But who thought he would lead the team in HR's (18) or triples (4)? And he made some amazing plays on defense too. He was the Twins' most improved player in 2013.

I've never really been a big fan of him myself, but I have to give credit where it was due. If he continues to improve, he may just make me a fan.
    Don't get me wrong, there was a lot to like about his year and I do like him...his defense was very good and who doesn't love power numbers from a middle infielder? I just got the impression that a lot of people were classifying his 2013 as "great" (or other lofty adjective), and I don't see that. Maybe it is just semantics. In any case, here's to hoping for an equal or better year for Dozier in 2014 and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Splendid taste in women, my friend. I believe my wife and I raised our daughter to be a similar catch.
    Unfortunately, things didn't work out. I'm in Dallas now and I gave the current lady friend the option of learning hockey or baseball. She chose baseball. I took her up to the Frisco Roughriders and watched Joe Benson play after he got traded. Outstanding ballpark for AA. Joe was underwhelming. The new lady still has some things to learn about baseball, but she does have relatives in Fort Myers...

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I don't think I have ever watched so many highlights from game as I have from that game 163. It was just crazy, especially the 6-3 double play with Cabrera and Nathan's reaction to it.
    I went to game 160 or something where Verlander pitched and sat in the home run "porch." Verlander hit 100 mph on his 113th pitch. I never knew such a thing existed at the time. I had only ever watched the Twins.
    That was a great season to be a Twins fan. Such an amazing September. The playoffs...well, that's when I really learned what it meant to be a Twins fan; the Yankees are the devil.

My Prospect Outlook: Glad they opened this forum to those of us that aren't really writers or bloggers. Just Twins fans with opinions. I throw this out for discussion.

Can't Miss Prospects: Byron Buxton, Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario, Alex Meyer, Kohl Stewert, Lewis Thorpe.
    This is the group I believe are destined for elite status. If they stay healthy, especially the pitchers, they will lead the Twins back to relevance somewhere around 2016.

Top Prospects with Major League Experience: Josmil Pinto, Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Kyle Gibson, Michael Tonkin, Caleb Theilbar.
    This group will be very serviceable ML players. They have already shown value to the future of the Twins. None will be elite though.

Top Prospects: Danny Santana, J.O. Berrios, Trevor May, Max Kepler, Steve Gonsalves, Adam Brett Walker, Nate Roberts, Mason Melotakis, Anderlin Mejia, Jorge Polanco.
    This group brings one or more intangible. Defense, Power, Position of Need, End of Rotation starter, Solid bullpen arm. Pretty nice looking group. Even nicer when you have so many guys listed above them in ranking. Lot's of contributors here when surrounded by a Sano, Buxton and Rosario.

Marginal Prospects: Vance Worley, A.J. Achter, D.J. Baxendale, Logan Darnell, Edgar Ibarra, Taylor Rogers, Zach Jones, J.D.Williams, Travis Harrison, Dalton Hicks, Kennys Vargas, Luke Bard, Nico Gooodrum, Tyler Grimes, Miguel Sulbaran.
    A few in this group will develop into top prospect status. If 3 make it the Twins will be very lucky. Quite a few will get a cup of coffee. None are presently someone I could view as an everyday player in the long run but could develop. Maybe some bullpen arms in this group.

Longshot Prospects
    : Tim Shibuya, Tim Atherton, Tyler Jones, Brian Gilbert, Zach Larson, Jose Abreu, Steve Wickens, Matt Summers, Brett Lee, Steve Gruver.

This group might get one or two to the Majors. Don't see anyone here that will become a difference maker. Maybe a bullpen guy or two and a bench filler.

Sinking Fast: Liam Hendriks, Deolis Guerra, Hudson Boyd, Madison Boer, Levi Michael.

These guys all came into the system with a lot of hype and haven't lived up to it. Likely all will be draft busts.

Conclusion:When making this I couldn't help but get excited about the Twins future. There are superstars on their way. And many players that will be good ballplayers. If the young pitchers can stay healthy along the way Target Field will be rocking. Looking back at some of the Prospects list from a few years ago you can see how much better shape the Farm System is in. Remember when guys like Angel Morales, Tyler Robertson, Shooter Hunt and Jeff Manship were in a lot of Top 10's? The Marginal Prospects grouping is better then most Top 10's from just a few years ago.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lots of good posts here, rookies and lurkers.

In the beginning, TD did not have moderators and there was some rudeness and worse.

Now we have 6 moderators, and that kind of behavior is not tolerated. What we are looking for is friendly, respectful discussion. People can disagree passionately, but only if they are polite. Those who repeatedly break the rules are being banned, and the amount of rudeness has been reduced as a result.

If you post in another thread and someone is disrespectful, please click the icon that looks like a triangle with an exclamation mark inside and we will deal with the problem.

I see some excellent posts here and hope to see you in other threads.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post

If you post in another thread and someone is disrespectful, please click the icon that looks like a triangle with an exclamation mark inside and we will deal with the problem.
    LOL, I didn't have a clue that was what the little triangle was for!

I have enjoyed this thread a great deal. I hope to see it continue with new stories for a long time. If the Twins would just start winning, I have a feeling we'd be seeing lots of "newbies".

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    The moment that I knew I would be a Twins fan the rest of my life was game 163 against the Tigers in 2009. Alexi freakin' Casilla gets a walk off hit to save his name after I had just cursed the living bejesus out of it after blowing that tag from 3rd. That was a great season ending rally to watch. Several weeks of critical baseball to culminate with an unlikely hero. Just awesome.

My favorite Twins moment was 2010 when Jim Thome crushed a ball to right for a walk-off dinger. I watched every pitch of that game and was so in the moment that it gave me chills all over my body. The scene in Moneyball where a similar moment happens gives me the chills (to a lesser degree) because of the similarity. There's no particular reason to love that moment, but I was so into the game it couldn't have ended better.
    I was at both of these games, and I agree wholeheartedly. Actually, game 163 was probably my favorite in-person sports moment of my life. I did see my alma mater win a national championship football game, but it was a blowout. Game 163 was much more of a nailbiter, and much more satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by scottz View Post
    Don't get me wrong, there was a lot to like about his year and I do like him...his defense was very good and who doesn't love power numbers from a middle infielder? I just got the impression that a lot of people were classifying his 2013 as "great" (or other lofty adjective), and I don't see that. Maybe it is just semantics. In any case, here's to hoping for an equal or better year for Dozier in 2014 and beyond.
    I agree regarding his season. While a .244 batting average is less than eye-opening, the rest of the package was at least respectable this past season, especially with the less than palatable options the Twins had at second base entering the 2013 season. While he probably wouldn't be a starter at 2nd for a lot of teams, he certainly represented an upgrade (in my view) over who the Twins had been playing at 2nd in recent seasons. Hopefully, he won't backtrack in the 2014 season.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    LOL, I didn't have a clue that was what the little triangle was for!
    That may be because you're not, to my recollection, someone we've needed to remind about the TD Comments Policy, where it is explained in a little more detail. To buttress glunn's post above, here is a link to it:

http://twinsdaily.com/minnesota-twin...er-2013-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by mini_tb View Post
    I thought Minnesota was uninhabited north of St. Cloud???
    Regardless, there's certainly many times more mosquitos and horseflies up there than people.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    My Prospect Outlook: Glad they opened this forum to those of us that aren't really writers or bloggers. Just Twins fans with opinions. I throw this out for discussion.

Can't Miss Prospects: Byron Buxton, Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario, Alex Meyer, Kohl Stewert, Lewis Thorpe.
    This is the group I believe are destined for elite status. If they stay healthy, especially the pitchers, they will lead the Twins back to relevance somewhere around 2016.

Top Prospects with Major League Experience: Josmil Pinto, Oswaldo Arcia, Aaron Hicks, Kyle Gibson, Michael Tonkin, Caleb Theilbar.
    This group will be very serviceable ML players. They have already shown value to the future of the Twins. None will be elite though.

Top Prospects: Danny Santana, J.O. Berrios, Trevor May, Max Kepler, Steve Gonsalves, Adam Brett Walker, Nate Roberts, Mason Melotakis, Anderlin Mejia, Jorge Polanco.
    This group brings one or more intangible. Defense, Power, Position of Need, End of Rotation starter, Solid bullpen arm. Pretty nice looking group. Even nicer when you have so many guys listed above them in ranking. Lot's of contributors here when surrounded by a Sano, Buxton and Rosario.

Marginal Prospects: Vance Worley, A.J. Achter, D.J. Baxendale, Logan Darnell, Edgar Ibarra, Taylor Rogers, Zach Jones, J.D.Williams, Travis Harrison, Dalton Hicks, Kennys Vargas, Luke Bard, Nico Gooodrum, Tyler Grimes, Miguel Sulbaran.
    A few in this group will develop into top prospect status. If 3 make it the Twins will be very lucky. Quite a few will get a cup of coffee. None are presently someone I could view as an everyday player in the long run but could develop. Maybe some bullpen arms in this group.

Longshot Prospects
    : Tim Shibuya, Tim Atherton, Tyler Jones, Brian Gilbert, Zach Larson, Jose Abreu, Steve Wickens, Matt Summers, Brett Lee, Steve Gruver.

This group might get one or two to the Majors. Don't see anyone here that will become a difference maker. Maybe a bullpen guy or two and a bench filler.

Sinking Fast: Liam Hendriks, Deolis Guerra, Hudson Boyd, Madison Boer, Levi Michael.

These guys all came into the system with a lot of hype and haven't lived up to it. Likely all will be draft busts.

Conclusion:When making this I couldn't help but get excited about the Twins future. There are superstars on their way. And many players that will be good ballplayers. If the young pitchers can stay healthy along the way Target Field will be rocking. Looking back at some of the Prospects list from a few years ago you can see how much better shape the Farm System is in. Remember when guys like Angel Morales, Tyler Robertson, Shooter Hunt and Jeff Manship were in a lot of Top 10's? The Marginal Prospects grouping is better then most Top 10's from just a few years ago.
    This is a very solid rundown. Boyd, Boer, and Michael are terrible disappointments. I think Boyd needs to stick full time in the bullpen to even have a chance at that longshot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I was at both of these games, and I agree wholeheartedly. Actually, game 163 was probably my favorite in-person sports moment of my life. I did see my alma mater win a national championship football game, but it was a blowout. Game 163 was much more of a nailbiter, and much more satisfying.
    I had a few friends at the game. They posted video of the best use of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" ever. I think it was in the 10th inning. The crowd booed the part about Detroit. While singing along. Great stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cwzimmerman View Post
    I agree regarding his season. While a .244 batting average is less than eye-opening, the rest of the package was at least respectable this past season, especially with the less than palatable options the Twins had at second base entering the 2013 season. While he probably wouldn't be a starter at 2nd for a lot of teams, he certainly represented an upgrade (in my view) over who the Twins had been playing at 2nd in recent seasons. Hopefully, he won't backtrack in the 2014 season.
    The thing about Dozier is that he and Bruno discovered something wrong with his swing, corrected it, and from June on he was fantastic offensively. That BA was about .213 or something until June and he hit 16 of those homers after May. Looking at the season as a whole and it all looks rather mundane, but there seems to be a legitimate correction made to his approach at the plate. I believe Parker has an article about it. It's perhaps my favorite article of TD in 2013.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    Nice post. The term "Can't Miss Prospects" caught my eye though -- in this context, I guess it really means these guys (like any top prospects) CAN miss, but the Twins CAN'T afford for them to miss.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    I had a few friends at the game. They posted video of the best use of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" ever. I think it was in the 10th inning. The crowd booed the part about Detroit. While singing along. Great stuff.
    'Don't Stop Believing' was the 2005 White Sox's 'theme song' throughout the season. They even had Journey (or maybe just Steve Perry?) perform it at their post WS Champ rally downtown. (Sorry for mentioning the 'evil ones' on a very nice Twins thread. Just throwing out a tidbit.)

What about Kevin Youklis as a potential free agent candidate to play both 1st and 3rd? Yes he is an injury risk - but he is a veteran presence, could fill a short term need at both positions, would be great with the young players and should come fairly inexpensively. Would love to see his influence on Sano.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    'Don't Stop Believing' was the 2005 White Sox's 'theme song' throughout the season. They even had Journey (or maybe just Steve Perry?) perform it at their post WS Champ rally downtown. (Sorry for mentioning the 'evil ones' on a very nice Twins thread. Just throwing out a tidbit.)
    So there we have the worst use of the song . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTwinsFan View Post
    What about Kevin Youklis as a potential free agent candidate to play both 1st and 3rd? Yes he is an injury risk - but he is a veteran presence, could fill a short term need at both positions, would be great with the young players and should come fairly inexpensively. Would love to see his influence on Sano.
    I love Youkilis. I forgot about him completely in considering him in my blueprint.

Blog Entries
    Twins Daily - Behind Brian Dozier's Turnaround

This is Parker's article on Dozier.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Yes we did boo. I've never heard the dome boo so much, and I've been to Vikings games.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast