Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lurkers and rookies please post here

I just wanted to post a 2nd time so I didn't have the number 1 by my name.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Hey, me too! Except I was 38 :-)
    Don't you still cry when you get a flu shot, Puck?

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    To be honest, I don't think there is a reason to discuss the possibility of any moves being made, because to date, there hasn't been anything done ever by Mr. Terry Ryan. I still think that the Twins have not yet hit rock bottom, though.
    I agree with your hesitation about getting hopes up. I however, DO think we've hit rock bottom. We might still be a few years away from contention because our young core will surely have some growing pains. I think we'll see a steady improvement starting next year.

On a different note, regarding this thread, I wasn't sure what to expect. Glad to see some new names chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaMike View Post
    I just wanted to post a 2nd time so I didn't have the number 1 by my name.
    Good idea.

Liked 2,992 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Let It Sano View Post
    Good idea.
    +1.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Don't you still cry when you get a flu shot, Puck?

I told you that in confidence man...so not cool :-)
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread has already been very worth it, for many reasons.

One, it HAS brought out "lurkers and rookies" to say interesting things (and they should stick with it!)

Two, it serves as a nice mini-reset button for some petty disagreements

Liked 685 Times in 359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by best game in the world View Post
    It was a wonderful evening in 1987, my best friend Mark and I had been wondering the streets of Minneapolis for hours, there were hundreds of folks seemingly in the same situation as ours. We saw signs, people dressed in costumes, yelling catchy and witty lines to everyone they passed. Mark and I talked of Hrbek launching another miracle homerun in the 9th. Seeing Bert close down the Royals at the dome on that magical Sunday. All tolled we had made over 40 games that season, what a fantastic night. We dodged cars, ticked off crossing guards, I suppose we could have walked 10 miles, the entire season was recounted. Beating the Tigers and talking our parents into letting us go to congratulate our heros at the Dome with fifty thousand of our closest friends... The game was about to start and it was time to call my Mom and have her come and pick us up, still no tickets. We were making our way to the Twins ticket office area to use the pay phone. " You boys need tickets?" a man dressed in a suit asked. No sooner had he asked, at least 10 people swarmed around him. He told all the other folks to get lost, and asked again "You boys need tickets right?" I mumbled something and he understood it to be a yes. He hands 2 tickets to us, section 114. Mark asks "how much"? The man looks puzzled, pauses and says it "dosen't matter" and disappears in the crowd.

That man, Bob Allison.
    This post is beyond excellent, and I hope that you consider converting it to a blog that might even be posted on the main page as an article. If you have any more stories like this, or even 10% as good as this, please post them.

One good feature of TD is that anyone can create blog posts, and sometimes these get added to the main page as articles.

I don't have much to post at the moment. That will definitely change once we see how the off-season plays out. But for now I have to say, this teams farm system makes me as giddy as a school girl.
    Last edited by acrozelle; 10-18-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Liked 685 Times in 359 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRF_EC View Post
    Thanks for the opportunity for my first and probably last post to Twins Daily. I have been a Twins fan for over 45 years. Iíve been lucky enough to have seen games at Met stadium, the Metrodome and Target Field. I also remember being ecstatic when Carl Pohlad bought the team from Cal Griffith.

Iíve also seen more bad teams than good teams. There have certainly been times where there were players I didnít like, managers did things that were aggravating and owners that made decisions that disappointed me. For those times, I remember back to the whole Twins experience. It didnít mean we didnít have fun at the ballpark. At the Met, a favorite pastime was turning over empty cups and stomping on them to pop them and make an echo, all the while waiting for Killebrew to come bat. In the early eighties, four or five of us would head to the Metrodome, plop down our four bucks for the cheap seats. The Twins werenít good so we really didnít care who was on the field. Weíd each draw a number from 1-9, that was our batter for each team. If that batter hit a homerun everyone else had to buy you a beer. Not so bad, when the score was 2-1, ď horribleĒ if it was 8-5. Razzing Brewersí fans was another favorite time, especially in the game where the Twins got up 8-4 in the fourth inning, and the Brewers fans left. Good thing because the Brewers started hitting and won 13-9 and there were no Brewers fans left to razz us. At least we got to see Ben Ogilvie (Brewers) hit the longest home run hit in the Metrodome. At age 25, I remember bawling my eyes out when my beloved Twins won the 1987 World Series. The 1991 World Series win was great but couldnít top the excitement of 87. I also remember nearly bawling when the Twins were being contracted and the feeling of elation when they werenít. Since then, the rest of the years have been gravy, with some lumpy potatoes.

I have a reason for taking you on a trip down my memory lane. Since the season has ended (at times during the season), most of the discussion here at TwinsDaily has taken a negative, many times aggressive tone. Quoting dictionary definitions and having moderators have to give out warnings on regular basis is a bit over the top for me. I donít want to give the impression that I donít think there should be discussion on both sides of a topic. That is the root of all sports fans. I will say that if your only measure of success for the Twins is to make the playoffs, win the playoffs, and win the World Series, you probably are in for a lot of disappointment. I donít say that because itís the Twins Ė There were 20 teams in the same boat this year. I canít help but fear that the disappointment will diminish your overall Twins experience and cloud the memories that come with it.

Iíve been trying to find an analogyÖ Being at TwinsDaily is like going with friends to a Bar to discuss the Twins. Everyone will have an opinion and there will be disagreements. If there is that one friend that is always negative and repeats the same arguments over and over, youíd stop asking them to come to the bar with you. I know this is not the right thing to do especially with TwinsDaily. As an alternative, I can look for another bar.

A have a special thanks to John. I stumbled on to TwinsGeek quite few years ago as a Minnesotan, transplanted to Packerland, starving for inside Twins info. This led me to Aaron Gleeman, Seth and too many others to mention. The blogs have given me a new perspective about the sport and favorite sports team I am passionate about. Although I am a mathematician by education, I had not delved into the statistics of baseball and am especially happy that others on this site are doing it for me to read and analyze.

Although I am passionate about the Twins, I do want to say that I am just as disappointed as most of you in the performance of the team over the last three years. It hasnít stopped me from throwing on my Twinís cap as much as possible, sneaking a look at the box scores every day, or stopping to watch a couple innings on the TV. In these down times, Iíll focus on my overall Twins experience where no matter what, being at a ballpark on a summer evening is an experience to remember no matter what the outcome is. Iíll do this despite looking like one of the uninformed, foolishly optimistic, bandwagon fans that are looked down upon.

I'll probably stick around at this "Bar" for a bit longer - I'm enjoying reliving the 87 World Series. Later next year I'll poke my head in now and then to see how the minor leagues are shaping up.

I'll close this long ramble by saying that my experience here has been mostly positive. I'm not convinced that I want to go through the whole off-season dreading that next article on how awful everything is.
    So you hit a home run in your first and only at bat, then you retire? Teaser!

I understand your dislike for the negativity and the bickering. The moderators are working hard to reduce the bickering. The negativity is another matter. We have some members who are generally negative and critical, and other members who are generally positive and supportive of the FO. We are trying to foster intelligent, respectful debate that includes the extremists from both ends of the spectrum, and that means that there will continue to be some posts that are annoyingly negative. There will also be posts that some people find annoyingly positive.

I am grateful for your post. Even our senior moderators have been doing this for less than a year. We are all rookies and we are learning as we go. Your input and AshburyJohn's response have crystallized some ideas in my mind and I hope that you will let us know if you find a better bar -- we are open to learning from the success of others.

The Twins won the world series in 1991 on my first birthday. My uncle spilled beer on me that night.

Also

2 of Kazmir, Hughes, Jimenez, Lincecum, Nolasco, Feldman, Johnson or Tanaka need to be in Twins uniforms next year. In addition, a third pitcher, perhaps someone like Mike Pelfrey or Randy Messenger or even Johan Santana should be brought in, particularly if one of the first 2 is an injury risk like Kazmir or Johnson. My body is not ready for another year of **** and 4.5K per 9 from every starter. While the current free agent class of SP is pretty ugly for playoff caliber squads, it's strangely good for the Twins current situation.
    Last edited by Erock; 10-18-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm probably one of the younger members on here (16) but when I saw this thread I thought it would be a great time to make my first post. I've been a Twins fan ever since I watched Johan Santana throw that gem in Game 1 of the 2004 ALDS. (Ironically that's the last playoff game they've won). I loved Johan and almost cried when they traded him. He is a FA this winter and I 100% think they should bring him back. He has had a lot of injuries with the Mets and will most likely never be the Ace he once was, but he would still be a great low risk/high reward signing. It would be a huge PR boost for an org that has taken a beating lately. He would most likely sell out Target Field quick if he ever made a start. He would provide lefty pitching depth which is probably our biggest need. At the very least Johan would be a great veteran presence for the younger pitchers to learn from. And he can strike guys out which is always good. That is all.
    Welcome LIS! Your post gives me hope that at least in some quarters, our education system still teaches proper grammatical usage (only one adjective/adverb misstep on "quick" in your entire post, most of us make worse mistakes in every sentence) and how to convey your thoughts effectively. I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll be writing your own blog some day soon, but please stay around, I suspect you have a lot to offer here!

Liked 139 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Almost? What's the point of being ten years old if you can't cry when they trade your ace?
    He's sixteen now - not allowed to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    He's sixteen now - not allowed to admit it.
    All right maybe a sob and a tear... or three.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Welcome LIS! Your post gives me hope that at least in some quarters, our education system still teaches proper grammatical usage (only one adjective/adverb misstep on "quick" in your entire post, most of us make worse mistakes in every sentence) and how to convey your thoughts effectively. I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll be writing your own blog some day soon, but please stay around, I suspect you have a lot to offer here!
    Haha thanks! I think I'll be here to stay. Also, props to whoever designed the mobile site. It's pretty great.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    This is a great site, I followed Seth over here from his site but Iíve become more of a lurker because of:

1) The Negativity. Someone else mentioned it and I thought Iíd second the thought. Iíve gotten to the point where I donít read the comments, or if I do I just skim thru and read the ones from the original founders.
    2) Lack of tolerance for lack of baseball knowledge. I participate in a lot of other forums on fishing, hunting, farming, etc. and everyone is always very helpful, not here, Iíve been blasted for posting something Ďstupidí. That keeps me from replying to posts, I just lurk instead.
    3) English lessons. Iíve been blasted for using the wrong argument, had ĎOccamís razorí thrown at me Ė what difference does it make? Is this a Twins baseball forum or an English lesson forum?? Again it inhibits posting.

It IS a very informative site, Iíve learned a lot about baseball, and I never used to follow the Twins minor league system. Keep up the good work!!

Side note to the administrators, you need more horsepower, the site is getting slow to load...

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some really great "first posts."

CRF_EC, I certainly hope that's not your last post. This site needs more participation from people for whom Tony, the Killer and Carew are more than just pictures in a book of Twins history. I think we can bring some perspective occasionally to all these "kids"!
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 1,166 Times in 684 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    2) Lack of tolerance for lack of baseball knowledge. I participate in a lot of other forums on fishing, hunting, farming, etc. and everyone is always very helpful, not here, I’ve been blasted for posting something ‘stupid’. That keeps me from replying to posts, I just lurk instead....

Side note to the administrators, you need more horsepower, the site is getting slow to load...
    Always feel free to join me in saying something "stupid", I do it quite often. I just cannot get into the advanced stats that people like to throw around. I can learn from them but I will never really absorb them. But there is room for a lot of different perspectives so I hope you'll post from time to time. (And, if you just want to post for fun, go into the game chats on occasion once the season starts again. )

The mods are really working to clamp down on some of the things that you complain about (a little too much for me sometimes because it stops the flow of the thread but it does seem to have paid off in a little more civility).

And I agree that the site has gotten slow although to add to that, it seems a little more sporadic to me and not necessarily when people are posting a lot so I don't get it.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,177 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All right maybe a sob and a tear... or three.
    In another five years, you'll look back and say, "hey, I wasn't three or anything - when ten year olds cry it's only about the *important* things".

Liked 100 Times in 60 Posts

Been reading since the start

But comments wouldn't go through for me, so I will try again. I am a displaced twins fan from MN living in CA, and I work at a sports bar so I have had to watch Giants fans celebrate their world series, the Niners fans celebrate getting to the super bowl (and then watching their spirits crushed), and now the Dodgers run all while bemoaning how many damn sports teams there are in this state and how none of the MN ones I root for are any good at the moment (holding out hope for the Wolves). I thought Gardy should have been let go but it isn't a disaster hes back, I wonder if it was a move to ease Mauer's transition to first, it might have been a more difficult sell if it was a new staff telling him to hang up the catching gear. I have hopes of improvement for 2014 though I think playoffs is a pretty long shot, once the kids are here and seasoned though things will get interesting. I hope the Pohland's are not just blowing smoke about spending money, they need to acquire some legit major league starters so there is a culture of winning for the prospects to come up too. I really hope they do not bring Pelfrey back, I can't handle watching him pitch. Oh and Pat Neshek is definitely my favorite Twin of all time, moar submarine please.
    Last edited by zchrz; 10-18-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm a long time lurker here and will definitely admit I don't have the baseball IQ of a lot of people on here, so I'm thankful for all the stats figured out by others. I too have a lot of hope for the future because of the farm. For now our pitching is pretty unbelievably bad though. But I think that can change. I heard someone say this about politics but I think it applies to sports too, "Things are never as good or bad as they seem." So there is definitely hope.

And about the Twins WS in 87 and 91 I have a very different take. Back then when I was a kid I lived in Canada and was a Jays fan. I remember really hating the Twins after they beat "my" Jays in the ALCS in 91. Then the Jays won in 92 and 93 and I basically forgot about baseball for 10 years and didn't follow it. As destiny would have it I moved to Minnesota in 03. A buddy of mine was a huge Twins fan and I quickly found myself falling in love with the Twins. Each year got me more into it especially 06. In 2010 I found myself addicted to the Twins and watched almost every game! The irony is that all the teams I cheer for usually suck, and out of my favorite teams, the last team in any sport to win a championship is a team I could care less about now and the team I care about now won championships exactly when I didn't care about them. Oh well, someday. Cheers
    Last edited by lyndon; 10-18-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast