Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sickels: Top 20 Twins prospects for 2014

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts

Sickels: Top 20 Twins prospects for 2014

John Sickels over at minorleagueball released his Twins top 20 prospect list.

Buxton/Sano are both A prospects
    Stewart/Meyer are both B+
    Rosario/Berrios are both Bs

What does he have to say and how does he rank the rest? Who is too high and who is too low? I guess you will just have to look for yourself. Link below:

Minnesota Twins Top 20 Prospects for 2014 - Minor League Ball
    Last edited by Nick Nelson; 10-18-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: corrected spelling of "Sickels"

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I was a little surprised that Thorpe was as high as he was, given that John is usually pretty conservative on guys in the lower levels. He must have heard a lot of really good things about him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    I was a little surprised that Thorpe was as high as he was, given that John is usually pretty conservative on guys in the lower levels. He must have heard a lot of really good things about him.
    That jumped out at me too. I'm hoping the Twins challenge Thorpe next year so we can see what we have.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is pretty aggressive on Thorpe! That's an *incredible* signing if he pans out. Have to think E-Town this year for the whole season there.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Waiting for his next team report or two, to gauge just how much fun it is to have 24 C+ or better prospects.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting list. The ones I differed most with him on were, to no one's surprise, the Relievers. I have Tonkin at 21 and Z Jones at 24 right now. Other than that, pretty similar. I still had Pinto down at 12, I guess. Good list.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great list. Hope Travis Harrison can have a strong power year and show better defense and increase his value.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One very small thing I found odd. He puts Stewart ahead of Meyer even though he gave them both the same grade. I would think the edge would go to Meyer since he is closer the show.

I was also surprised about Thorpe. Very encouraging to hear he added some ticks to his fastball. Like many, I usually don't put much stock into GCL stats especially for pitchers. But if he's added velocity, we could really have something.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Fun read. Of the non-elites, I think Harrison could jump up a lot next year. I like him and the reports on his defense were better this year. Another season of improvement there and, hopefully, a few less strikeouts and he could turn into a real nice prospect to have. I'm still not convinced in Rosario but hopefully I'm wrong. Like May a lot more than Sickels. I think he'll be better in the majors but maybe it's just blind optimism. I like seeing Polanco in our top 10.

Next year it'll be a lot of fun watching how the young pitchers - Stewart, Berrios, Eades, Thorpe, Jorge, Gonzalez - perform. There's some serious upside among them. Maybe we'll add that Texan HS pitcher in the draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    One very small thing I found odd. He puts Stewart ahead of Meyer even though he gave them both the same grade. I would think the edge would go to Meyer since he is closer the show.

I was also surprised about Thorpe. Very encouraging to hear he added some ticks to his fastball. Like many, I usually don't put much stock into GCL stats especially for pitchers. But if he's added velocity, we could really have something.
    As Sickel notes he had scouts who preferred Stewart to Appel/Gray so that says a lot. Proximity is important but it isn't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Interesting list. The ones I differed most with him on were, to no one's surprise, the Relievers. I have Tonkin at 21 and Z Jones at 24 right now. Other than that, pretty similar. I still had Pinto down at 12, I guess. Good list.
    Perhaps a positional rating - relievers just don't matter as much.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    As Sickel notes he had scouts who preferred Stewart to Appel/Gray so that says a lot. Proximity is important but it isn't everything.
    I don't put much stock into proximity. But as I pointed out, he gave them the same grade, so I figured proximity would be the tie breaker. I asked Sickels about this on twitter, he said he went back and forth with these two and the recent shoulder issue for Meyer was the tiebreaker. He also says he was trying to stay consistent with his last top 75 list.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    I don't put much stock into proximity. But as I pointed out, he gave them the same grade, so I figured proximity would be the tie breaker. I asked Sickels about this on twitter, he said he went back and forth with these two and the recent shoulder issue for Meyer was the tiebreaker. He also says he was trying to stay consistent with his last top 75 list.
    I would go Meyer then Stewart too, but it's close. For me, they both have high upside, and Meyer is closer. It gets foggy when you consider Meyer's injury, but then you remember the 100 mph stuff and I can't help it.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    I like Sickels' site a lot. Great site.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    Sickels also noted in the comments that Thorpe has potential to be a top pitching prospect in all of baseball in 12 months, based on the way he's pitched in the GCL so far.
    Last edited by JustinCB; 10-15-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I liked that we have C+ or better prospects at almost all positions.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    To have that many prospects grade out at C+ or better is extraordinary. Sickels mentioned about 45 names, and left these guys off the list: Baxendale, Wimmers, Bard, Ortiz, Chargois, Nate Roberts, and Levi Michael. If we have 45 prospects better than any of those guys, we're in decent shape.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I saw him in some GCL games but more in Instructionals and he is good, I hope the Twins are as aggressive with him as they were with Berrios last year but then again we all know how reserve the Twins are about callups.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
    I saw him in some GCL games but more in Instructionals and he is good, I hope the Twins are as aggressive with him as they were with Berrios last year but then again we all know how reserve the Twins are about callups.
    The Twins showed this year that they will move prospects very aggressively if they deserve it. It is a welcome change, I prefer to push the kids rather then lead them along by the hand.

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed the fact that Walker has moved up some and was considered a C+/B- type player. Lets hope he can have a repeat performance or better at A+ and/or AA next year. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought his defense was a little underrated. Would be nice to see all this potential power in the Twins farm sytem on one team moving forward.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast