Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: BA Eastern League Top 20 Prospects - #2 Sano #5 Meyer #20 Pinto

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

BA Eastern League Top 20 Prospects - #2 Sano #5 Meyer #20 Pinto

Three Twins broke the Top 20 of a very deep league:

2. Miguel Sano, 3b, New Britain (Twins)
    Age: 20. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 195. Signed: Dominican Republic, 2009.
    Miguel Sano (Photo by Mike Janes)

When you’re 20 years old and have two documentaries devoted to you, there’s a good chance your future is pretty darned bright. Such is the case with Sano, who boasts 80 raw power and a 70 arm at the hot corner.
    More than the arm, Sano showcases strong athleticism and solid reactions at third base, though his footwork could use a little polishing before the Twins are ready to pull back the curtain on one of their most prized assets.
    Scouts praise Sano’s approach at the plate, including his improved—though not perfect—plate discipline. Combine that with his top-shelf bat speed and sculpted frame, and he could be a player who hits between .275 and .300 with 30-plus homers a year.
    Some league observers have questions about Sano’s makeup, especially after the Rock Cats sat him down for a few games after he styled on a home run late in the season. The concern is minor and, based on anecdotal evidence, he has learned from his showboating ways.
    “I think he hit three home runs against us,” Binghamton manager Pedro Lopez said, “and on none of them he showed anybody up.”

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
    5. Alex Meyer, rhp, New Britain (Twins) Age: 23. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-9. Wt.: 220. Drafted: Kentucky, 2011 (1/Nationals).
    Even after being limited to 78 innings, Meyer still managed to whiff more than 100 batters at two levels, most of which came in New Britain. His bread and butter is a heater that sits in the mid-90s and can touch as high as 98 mph. The fastball can lack life, though, and he has a tendency to leave it up in the zone. He complements it mainly with a curveball, but can mix in a slider or changeup if he needs to give hitters a different look.
    The concern with the 6-foot-9 Meyer, as with all exceedingly tall hurlers, is control. Trouble repeating his arm slot —not a surprise with someone so tall—led to a walk rate of 3.7 per nine innings, a figure that will need to be refined.
    In his first year with the Twins after being acquired from the Nationals in the Denard Span trade, Meyer also missed significant time with a cranky right shoulder. MRI results showed no significant damage, but anything involving a pitcher’s shoulder bears watching.
    W L ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG
    4 3 3.21 13 13 0 70 60 29 25 3 29 84 .226

20. Josmil Pinto, c, New Britain (Twins) Age: 24. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 5-11. Wt.: 220. Signed: Venezuela, 2006.
    Pinto reached Double-A in his seventh pro season and began this year as a New Britain repeater, but the late-blooming catcher rocketed from the EL all the way to Minnesota in 2013. He parlayed tremendous plate discipline and an ability to hit both strikes and mistakes into the best season of his career.
    Evaluators aren’t fond of Pinto’s ability to block pitches and suggest his game-calling chops need sharpening, but he has a plus arm, which he isn’t afraid to show off. He threw out 26 percent of basestealers.
    Pinto’s offensive potential mitigates his modest defense. He has a stocky body and a big swing capable of producing average power. His emergence comes as Twins incumbent Joe Mauer battles concussion issues and could see more time at first base.
    AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
    386 59 119 23 1 14 68 64 71 0 2 .308 .411 .482

• Jesse (Minneapolis): Is Josmil Pinto a legit prospect? I follow the Twins organization and did not hear much about him until the end of the year. I know he appears to be a good hitter for average. What are his skills in calling a game?

Josh Norris: He is a legit prospect, albeit an older one. He's a bat-first catcher, which elevates his stock because having a catcher who can hit is especially rare these days.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    • Mike (SD): Is Trevor May going to be more valuable as a starter down the road, or will his best value be in the back end of the bullpen?

Josh Norris: Down the road, I expect Mr. May will find himself in the bullpen, though maybe not as a back-end guy. Command is a problem, as is his concentration on the hill.
    ---

Well, concentration is probably a fixable trait...

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No Rosario? Pinto above Rosario?? Not a fan of this list.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    No Rosario? Pinto above Rosario?? Not a fan of this list.
    BA's league rankings aren't directly prospect rankings. They are a combination of prospect status and the prospects performance in that league. Part of the reason is that they try to make the list from comments of scouts in that particular league that saw all of the players in that league. Rosario was amazing in Ft Myers while he had a .742 OPS in NB. Pinto on the other hand had a .893 OPS as a catcher in more games.

I have said it before but I don't think Rosario is knocking on the door next season. He's pretty young still and I think he spends at least half a season at NB if not the whole season.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rosario got off to a pretty good start and then really tailed off his last month in AA. Not sure if he was just tired, injured, or something else alltogether... though I have to admit that a .742 OPS really shows how bad he finished. I kind of assumed he'd start in AAA, but I could see the Twins starting him out in AA and giving him a bump mid year.