Thread: Florida Instuctional League Game 10/5/13

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Florida Instuctional League Game 10/5/13

On Saturday, the Twins visited JetBlue Park to face their FIL crosstown rival the Boston Red Sox. In the stands again was Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez who was there to watch his son Dereck play the outfield. I finally had to mark out and get an autograph and picture with him. Also on the JetBlue Complex were possible future MLBers for Perfect Game's WWBA Florida Qualifier which feature the some of the kids (15-17yo) in the nation and surrounding areas.

Once again the two clubs broke up into two squads, playing two games at once. So the benches were pretty bare as most if not all positional players were playing. Lewis Thorpe was the starter for Game A and went two innings. He looked good once again showing a good feel for his offspeed pitches and picking the corners. If he looks as good in spring training as he does now, he could push to start his 2014 season in Cedar Rapids. Felix Jorge finished off Game A with a strong performance going two innings throwing a 89-91 mph fastball with big sinking action along with a couple of good slurves. Here's video of him with a strikeout to end the game.

I didn't get to see much of Game B other than just the ending which was interesting. Twins' 2013 21st round pick Tyler Stirewart threw the last inning and showed a good display of why the Twins took a flyer on him out Fresno State despite his line of 26 appearances (25 in relief) 28 1/3 IP, 26 H, 27 BB, 27 K, 7.62 ERA, 1.91 WHIP, .255 BAA. He showcased in the GCL as one of the older players and after the Twins cleaned up his mechanics he shined in 12 appearances, going 15 2/3 IP, giving up 8 hits, 5 walks, and 20 strikeouts, with a 0.57 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, .148 BAA.

Tyler threw one inning, giving up one hit (a double-that should have been caught by JD Williams), one walk (to MLBer Jackie Bradley Jr.) and striking out two. Stirewart definitely has the velocity, sitting at 93-95 mph topping at 96 with good movement. His slider was hard clocking at 87-89 mph. With camp ending on Tuesday (Oct 8th) there were plenty of parents in attendance to watch their kids and take them back home. Stirewart's parents, Clyde and Becky were no exception and were quite talkative. Getting a backstory on Tyler makes one really appreciate how far he's come already. According to his dad, Tyler concentrated almost solely on football growing, getting very little baseball time and never traveling. He received a scholarship at Fresno St for quarterback but wasn't getting much playing time so he walked onto the baseball squad his sophomore year. It was obvious by his numbers that he is what one considers more of a thrower and not a pitcher but with velocity and arm strength like his you can not teach that. Apparently, during his time off he'll be golfing and snowboarding and working out on his own until Spring Training starts back up in February. The Twins really see a diamond in the rough, if he can learn to control his stuff and learns how to pitch he could be a bullpen clog. He looks to start the 2014 year in Cedar Rapids.

Players leaving the JetBlue Complex:

10148523723_0f2755357d_n.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the progress so far at Hammond Stadium/Lee Complex. This clearing is where the new developmental offices and dorms for the players

10148501983_91de520437_m.jpg10148384455_c9bb4793b4_m.jpg

Hope everyone enjoyed my posts from Instructional League, I'll have more from extended Spring Training after the MLB camp breaks in March/April.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are awesome. Thank you, Bob! These have been really interesting and fun reads. Thank you for your work and insight.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Thanks again Bob. These are my favorite reads.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I definitely enjoy these... I remember reading about Stirewalt after the draft, and he definitely sounds worthy of the effort to try to develop!!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I second the motion, and am sorry that Today is the final day!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Great stuff Bob, thanks a lot. Interesting video too, Jorge certainly doesn't appear to use his lower half very much in his delivery and he stays pretty tall. Maybe it was just the angle but he didn't look to extend very much on his stride toward home. One would have to think that negatively effects his velocity.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Great stuff Bob, thanks a lot. Interesting video too, Jorge certainly doesn't appear to use his lower half very much in his delivery and he stays pretty tall. Maybe it was just the angle but he didn't look to extend very much on his stride toward home. One would have to think that negatively effects his velocity.
    Bingo! And no, it wasn't the angle which was slight to right of homeplate (because all of BoSox pitchers took up the bleachers), his stride to the plate is short. He could definitely use the lower half of his body more because that's putting alot more stress on his arm.