Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Thoughts on A-Roid

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thoughts on A-Roid

I generally don't think of A-Roid very often, but after the last couple of days its hard not to. He is suing everybody! MLB, Bud Selig, Yankee doctors, NYC hospitals....who's next?

My thoughts are this: He's guilty, he'll be banned from baseball (and the HOF), thereby nullifying his contract, so he is suing everybody in hopes that he'll win at least one of them and receive a huge settlement. This will allow him to leave the game on his own terms (in his mind anyway), and score one more huge payday.

Everyone's thoughts and comments appreciated (rip him to shreds but stay within TD comment policy )!

Liked 2,995 Times in 1,271 Posts
    I hope he never plays another game, and the Yankees have to pay him every penny of his contract.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Thought and A-Roid are rarely used in the same sentence.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 462 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think too many people will argue the fact that Rodriguez is guilty and I for one would be glad if he never steps on the MLB field of play again.

Assuming that A-Rod didn't cheat until his Texas years - it is a shame as he was a generational talent and exciting to watch play the game in his Mariners years.

Baseball changed his life for the better and he thanked the game by cheating and being one of many who soiled 2 decades of baseball that many cannot look back upon and view the offensive statistics as legitimate.

When you label a kid the next great legend of baseball, eat a mile of his (Bleep) to get to him, tell him everything he wants to hear and throw him millions of dollars - it is hard to be surprised when the train comes off the tracks. 20 years later there is another kid in the position A-Rod was in - Bryce Harper - Hopefully he is watching this debacle with a keen eye and taking notes on not what to do.

I suppose, deep within the core of my person, where most people think their soul resides, there is a tar pit, and within that tar pit is a little pocket of air that represents me feeling a little sorry for Alex Rodriguez.

It's too bad he didn't have better people surrounding him to keep him grounded and to give him better advice... but, who knows, he may have, and he told them to (bleep) off.

Either way, I won't be losing any sleep over it.
    "I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne. 'Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky'."
    Henry Jones, Sr.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My opinion won't be popular... A-Rod absolutely should be suing and appealing and whatever he needs to do. First, how can MLB rightfully suspend him for more than 50 games? That's the punishment for the first offense. His previous stuff was not a suspendable thing.

He's lied - Lots of MLB players, including Hall of Famers, have lied.
    He's not a nice guy or a good person - OK, again, that's not suspendable.
    He's not aging well - Yes, that's true, but that's not unusual. Wait until Pujols gets older and still has a ton of money owed to him.
    He's making too much money - Also true, but again, it's what the Yankees agreed to and MLB should not be in the business of helping out teams from bad contracts.
    He should just take the 221 game suspension - Again. Why? There's no precedent for it. There's no reason it should be more than 50 games.
    But Ryan Braun and the others didn't appeal, why did A-Rod? - Because it's his right! Do we really want a system whereby a person can't appeal? I don't know why Braun agreed to more than 50 games. He should have appealed.

Bud Selig messed this one up. As Scott Korzenowsky on 1500espn said a month or so ago, Selig had an opportunity here. He has the player's union on his side. They (generally) want more testing and bigger suspensions. Selig should have given A-Rod a 50 game suspension, and along with Michael Weiner (head of the union), they should have said that it was all they could do and used it as an opportunity to work together to increase the penalties.

And, if the Yankees and the doctors actually did know about A-Rod's injury and didn't tell him and continued to let him play hurt, they absolutely deserve to be sued.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,217 Times in 487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I hope he never plays another game, and the Yankees have to pay a collection of charities every penny of his contract.
    Slight modification.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a fan of A-Rod, but there's a CBA, and while A-Rod violated it, MLB should have responded with the rules laid out in the CBA. Instead, they threw it out the door, and A-Rod is quite right in his response. I don't think anyone is innocent here, and lest we all forget *cough contraction *cough, Selig is a bit of a dirt bag himself.

I'm no fan of A-Rod, but he deserved a 50 day suspension, at worst he deserved what Braun got. Selig is going to such an extreme that A-Rod is likely going to get off from this.

Liked 1,582 Times in 788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Assuming that A-Rod didn't cheat until his Texas years - it is a shame as he was a generational talent and exciting to watch play the game in his Mariners years.

Baseball changed his life for the better and he thanked the game by cheating and being one of many who soiled 2 decades of baseball that many cannot look back upon and view the offensive statistics as legitimate.
    Thirteen bazillions internet bits, 57 tanker cars of mostly East Coast print ink, and three container ships of undead ESPN anchor Linda Cohn's makeup kits will be expended on summaries of his career when it's over, and my bet is that they'll all fall short of this one.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,175 Times in 624 Posts
    Bud "I'm really, really serious about drug use....really" Selig, in his attempt to make A-Rod his defining moment, actually has opened the door to somehow making Rodriguez the sympathetic character in this saga , now that is ineptitude at it's highest level.

I for one do not sympathize with him but he's not alone on the marquee as the biggest jacka** of this generation, he shares it with Bud.