Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Baseball Prospectus chat

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts

Baseball Prospectus chat

Mark Anderson did a chat and had a few Twins questions.

Jim (Fargo): Would you call Oswaldo Arcia's 2013 a success, failure, or something in between? What did we learn? Mark Anderson: I think it was an absolute success. At 22-years old he proved he had nothing left to do in the minor leagues and got nearly 100 games in the big leagues to make adjustments, learn and prepare for when the Twins will actually need him to be a centerpiece in their lineup. What did we learn? I think we learned he is going to hit, show good power and be a quality MLB player overall; it just takes time and doesn't always happen instantaneously.

Clint Frazier (Georgia): Do you think I am better than Byron Buxton or George Springer?
    Mark Anderson: I don't think there is anyone in the minor leagues better than Byron Buxton right now. He is incredible. I am a huge Frazier fan and have struggled with Springer going back to college. Right now I would take Springer just becaues he's done it throughout the minor leagues, but Frazier has the potential to be better.

Ed (Jacksonville): When all said and done, who will have the best MLB career between O. Taveras, X. Bogaerts, and M. Sano?

Mark Anderson: Wow! This might be the impossible question. I think Taveras is a potential batting champion with plus power. Bogaerts could pop 30 bombs a year and hit very well in the process, all while playing a premium defensive position. Sano...well, Sano is one of the few players in the minor leagues that you could actually say has a chance to hit 50 home runs some day. I'm a huge believer in Sano and I can't quit now. I think he's going to be fantastic.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    There is hope!

We have been hearing all this hype about Sano and Buxton all year, next season its time to put words into results for Sano. I believe Sano and Buxton are the type of players that will turn into all stars but then again you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganTwins View Post
    There is hope!
    Why do you say that? What will 2 position players do? Look at COL, SF, LAA and ARI. They all have some really good hitters but because they have no pitching they are below .500 teams. And all of there pitching is better than the Twins. Until the Twins get pitchers they cant even think about winning. Stewart is probably 3 years away from being a rookie and Meyer is the only other pitching prospect with real potential on the Twins and he might play next year. And we don't even know if they will pan out? The Twins are so far from being a winning team, maybe if they would spend some money they could be good in the next few years but they wont. Look they didn't go after Anibal Sanchez and he had an amazing year, and he has always been good so theres no reason why they didn't go after him. SF won the WS last year and just because there pitching wasn't good this year they turned into a below .500 team that didn't make the playoffs.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Having two awesome prospect is hope. I never said we were going to win the world series. I said there is hope. Hope is not a guarantee for the future. Next time correcting someone maybe take into account what they say and not assume things not stated. No one is saying the Twins only need a couple of things. We all saw how bad the pitching was, but its not wrong to be hopeful that Buxton and Sano could help lead us into something better. Again, thanks for your well thought out post!

Senior Member Triple-A
    And Arcia would make 3 position players too.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    A team isn't rebuilt all at once--typically one maybe two at a time. This is one of the points used by those who advocate signing a high-quality free-agent.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    A team isn't rebuilt all at once--typically one maybe two at a time. This is one of the points used by those who advocate signing a high-quality free-agent.
    If only there was a standard definition of high quality free agent.

So im pretty sure they will lock up Buxton at some point in his career which mean all of the other prospects that pan out will be gone. They will probably trade Sano for almost nothing just so they don't have to pay him. He doesn't play "Twins" baseball anyway because he can hit HRs. They will probably trade Meyer and Stewart too because they get Ks, but hey if that means we can get several more Worleys than im all for it(That was my sarcastic voice).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    So im pretty sure they will lock up Buxton at some point in his career which mean all of the other prospects that pan out will be gone. They will probably trade Sano for almost nothing just so they don't have to pay him. He doesn't play "Twins" baseball anyway because he can hit HRs. They will probably trade Meyer and Stewart too because they get Ks, but hey if that means we can get several more Worleys than im all for it(That was my sarcastic voice).
    OK, we get it.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,298 Times in 524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    OK, we get it.
    Concur, there isn't any reason to start dragging this thread through that same mud.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's