Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Dusty Baker out as Reds manager

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dusty Baker out as Reds manager

I see that Dusty Baker made himself expendable in Cincinnati by not winning in the post-season. Given that the Twins just re-signed their own manager for two seasons, it's an interesting compare and contrast situation.

A wag mentioned in another thread here that he'd like to see Baker ruin a few of the lesser arms in the Twins AAAA roster. At least, I HOPE and TRUST he said it waggishly.

Me, I would love to see how well Trevor Plouffe and a few of the other allegedly mellow guys would get along with crusty Dusty.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    From ESPN the Sweet Spot:

'Dusty Baker has managed 20 years in the major leagues and won just three postseason series. Including Wednesday's wild-card loss to the Pirates, he's 3-7 in postseason series with an overall win-loss record of 19-26.

He's had success in the regular season -- three manager of the year awards, five division titles, 16th all time in wins and he's won 90-plus games three of the past four years with the Reds -- but the lack of results in the playoffs finally cost him his job, even though he had another year on his contract. It's the right decision. '
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cincinnati is not loyal...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Same as the Twins if they wanted to. According to the source for mlbtraderumors, Cincinnati was going fire Baker's hitting coach and Baker told them to fire him too if they fired the coach, they did. Twins could have gotten the same result by firing Rick Anderson.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 133 Times in 70 Posts
    Compared to Gardy, Dusty Baker has had remarkable playoff success.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 753 Times in 468 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keep him as far away from MN as possible...