Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Florida Instructional League Game 10/3/13

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Florida Instructional League Game 10/3/13

The game was originally supposed to start at 1pm but was moved ahead to 10am due to the weather forecast. The Orioles were in town from Sarasota and brought their low level prospects but the same can also be said for Twins. Apparently from what I could gather is that the higher level prospects (A+ and some A-) wouldn't be involved much in team play and a few had already left Camp. So the game was played by mainly young international signings, SS players and draft picks. The crowd was peppered by a few former great baseball players in Twins instructor Paul Monitor who has been working with the infielders on charging the ball. Also in the stands was Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez who was there to watch his son Dereck play the outfield.

2nd round pick Ryan Eades was airing it, holding nothing back as this was his last appearance in the FIL. Eades was around 91-93mph with his fastball that has good life and movement, topping at 95mph, it was quite impressive and he rode it most of the game. His offspeed stuff looked a little flat at times in that his curve was hitting 80-82 mph but leaving a few over the plate and hanging. The changeup was 78-80 mph with good riding motion away from the left handed hitters. Overall, Eades went three innings, striking out four, walking two and giving up a single and double. He was wild at times and make catcher Alex Swim work. Ryan wasn't overally impressive but seems like someone who has the ability to be an end of the rotation guy if everything clicks or midrelief; he just seemed like he had nothing left in him after the first inning which he threw 29 pitches. He seems to fit the Twins mold of pitchers.

After he threw, CK Irby took the rubber for an inning, registering in 88-90 mph on the gun and was wild as well walking and striking out one. His curve was tight and looked much better than his fastball which lacked movement and depth. Fernando Romero pitched the next two innings and showed good flashes with a 88-92 mph fastball while also working in a good biting slider. He was actually the biggest surprise for me to see. J.O. says to watch him as well. The other Twins pitcher who stood out was lefty Mason Melotakis who threw two innings and striking out four. He was knocking 92-94 mph fastballs mixed with a wicked slider that just made two lefty Orioles hitters look foolish. If the Twins want to, he appears like he could be fast tracked to the MLB as a lefty reliever because that high FB with nasty SL that was just devastating to left handed hitters. The biggest knock is that his delivery is short but it's also deceptive.

Sorry no interviews just talked with Jose/J.O. Berrios, he says he doesn't care either way on what you call him. He was charting the game today, keeping track of what pitch was thrown, location, and mph. His last game for FIL is tomorrow and he said he's going all out during his 3-4 inning stint. Once again, he says he'll be working on his changeup. Unfortunately, the FIL ends on Tuesday.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Thanks Bob- I really enjoy these type of updates. I have seen Eades a couple times live myself and have not been impressed either. I will look for more Fernando Romero.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is really good stuff. I instantly click to read your updates first and foremost over everything else at the moment.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Awesome Bob! You are lucky to be there and we are lucky to have you sharing what you see. I'll be sure to click on your threads.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here are a few pictures I took:

First one is Jose Berrios at the scorer's table charting:

JOBerrios.jpg

The Orioles pitchers:

Oriolespitchers.jpg

And the Orioles have some of the most amazing software I've seen at these Instructional games especially for a traveling team. Just goes to prove that these games mean at least something to someone. I wish this picture got bigger on here as you can see all the touch screen capabilities and how the machine breaks down each at bat. On the other hand, the Twins (and most clubs) use a handheld camera very much to what I'm shooting with.
    Oriolessoftware.jpg

I forgot to include that former top Orioles' positional prospect Mychal Givens threw the ninth for the O's and struck out the side fanning Engelb Vierma, Adam Walker, and Pimiental in 17 pitches. They didn't really have a chance as he was hitting 93-95 mph with an 85-87 mph slider.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add me to the list of extremely jealous readers of your stuff here, Bob. Thanks a lot!
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm glad many of you like these posts. I'm glad I didn't listen to my wife when I first posted about Camp, "who wants to read or see anything you have, you're not a scout, you're not even a Twins fan and these aren't even real games."

My rebuttal, someone somewhere cares and there is no one else even there to report on it. Plus as a Cubs fan, we're kindred spirits, living today for our future of tomorrow.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 10-04-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Very cool stuff. You would think more teams would invest in the equipment the Orioles are using, I'm sure its relatively expensive but when we're talking about franchises worth hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars the edge you might be able to gain from spending thousands seems to be well worth it to me.