Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When the Twins go back to 12 pitchers...

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries

When the Twins go back to 12 pitchers...

Reusse and Mackey were just discussing this topic on 1500espn...

Which 'hitter' is called up to the Twins? The Twins 40 man roster is currently at 39, so they could look outside of the organization as well.

Will they go with a 3rd catcher? (Very possible, in an attempt to be able to use Ryan Doumit more)
    Drew Butera's on the 40 man roster. Rene Rivera and JR Towles aren't.

Will they add an infielder? Carroll and Casilla are both playing terrific right now, but both will need time off. Trevor Plouffe not an ideal backup SS.
    Tsuyoshi Nishioka in on the 40 man roster. Brian Dozier, Michael Hollimon, Ray Chang, Pedro Florimon are not.

Could Ben Revere come back?

What do you think?

I don't know for sure what they will do - 3 catchers is a good guess because we know Gardy values that. One of the interesting parts of Morneau being penciled in at DH for so many games is that prevented them from DH'ing Mauer...and if Mauer is at 1B, then you don't have the whole need for a 3rd catcher problem.

Clete Thomas seems to work as the 4th outfielder, but then there are guys like Plouffe and Parmelee who are like "5A" and "5B" outfielders.

If it were me, I would get one of the shortstops up here and get them used to MLB play. Jamey Carroll is starting to earn his money, but he's 38, and he's never been even close to a full-season SS. Dozier has a .911 OPS at AAA and really has hit at every level. He'll be 25 next month, so I really don't accept the whole "over-ripe" approach. 21 year olds need consistent playing time to improve - Dozier is at an age where he's either going to be an asset to a big league club or he's not, so it's time to find that out.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand Mackey's argument for Nishioka coming back and might make sense - and if that happens Plouffe is full-time 1B/OF/DH, but I think that Gardenhire will try to make everything possible to get Butera up to the majors again.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Revere is the least likely. Bringing up a third catcher has the added benefit of easing the logjam at Rochester. Bringing up either Dozier or Nishioka probably doesn't make much sense when the starters are playing well. I'm guessing it will be Butera to add "catching depth".

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The other side of this question is, "who gets sent down?" Gray is out of options, Burnett has been very good so far, Maloney and Burton have shown some progress. If they hold true to "no scholarships", I think Gray gets DFAed and I think that is the right move. If they send down the guy with the option, it will be Burnett.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Bringing up a catcher is nonsense. Then you wind up putting Butera's putrid bat back in the lineup. Just when the lineup looks like it has fewer weak links, you want to put auto-out back in?

Bring up Dozier when the pitching is settled down. Or, get rid of Clete and be more serious about Parmelee/Plouffe in RF.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The other side of this question is, "who gets sent down?" Gray is out of options, Burnett has been very good so far, Maloney and Burton have shown some progress. If they hold true to "no scholarships", I think Gray gets DFAed and I think that is the right move. If they send down the guy with the option, it will be Burnett.

Burnett has surprised after a horrible start. May be working his way to pressure situations. Not sure if that's good or not, but at least he can miss bats vs Gray's meat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    If we bring up a 3rd catcher, why not Rivera? He seemed to catch Liriano well. I'm not sure catchers have much impact on the SP but at this point, why not try?

It seems pretty likely to be Gray who goes out, released, replaced by Butera, so Doumit can become more regular in RF. I'd like to say Towles, but he has 3 hits in 24 PA. 1 Walk and one Sac. His 3 hits have all been doubles, so there's that. Rivera has two dingers, but he's only 5 for 27. Drew's defense is a known quantity, and he's on the 40 man. I imagine the move will happen in 10 days if Hughes clears waivers and they assign him to AAA. But if Luke gets claimed / traded then the clock might tick longer.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    If we bring up a 3rd catcher, why not Rivera? He seemed to catch Liriano well. I'm not sure catchers have much impact on the SP but at this point, why not try?
    I agree, We have to try something different. Bring him up just to catch Frankie and see what happens. Dont mess with the infield, Carroll and Casilla are playing great.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Bringing up a catcher is nonsense. Then you wind up putting Butera's putrid bat back in the lineup. Just when the lineup looks like it has fewer weak links, you want to put auto-out back in?
    Yes, having a 3rd catcher and especially Butera makes no sense at all, but this is Gardenhire we are talking about... For some reason he sees something in Butera the rest of the world does not...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

How much input does Gardenhire have into who is called up / demoted? Shouldn't it be the GM's call about who the personnel is at each level, then the manager's job to use them?
    I'm sure the manager has the ability to suggest moves and provide feedback, but Terry Ryan would have to agree that a third catcher is the best move in order to make it, right?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    If Smith was running the show, Butera would be up here as he gave Gardy what ever he wanted.

With Ryan in charge, Gardy would have to make a very compelling case to convince Ryan to bring up Butera. Ryan is the one who has final say on the roster. Gardy can make requests, but Ryan makes the calls.

That being said, I believe that Hughes was the "emergency" catcher. Who has that role now?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    I would bet on an infielder.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Why would we keep Gray?
    Gardy and Anderson are the ones that throw batting practice.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We need another infielder, and I don't see how its not Nishioka. We can't keep paying him millions to play in the minors. Either that or release him.
    I bent my wookie...

My bet would be outside the organization. The gang down at Rochester either seems to fall into the category of "needs to play every day" or "not very good." I'm holding out for Hughes clearing waivers and coming back up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    I figured Thomas was going to be the fourth outfielder when he got claimed, but so far he's getting the heavy end of the rigth field platoon. With Doumit riding the pine 2 out of 3 days, and Mauer always catching the other, there is no need for a 3rd catcher. Gardy may want one, but Terry Ryan has clearly shown that he's in charge of this ship and he should know better.

That being said, if the team is going to call up a utility player, why didn't they just keep Hughes?

Nishi is hitting 280 in the past 10 days. It would be kinda crazy to mess with an upswing right now. Let the fella get the hitting on, and see what another month can do for his confidence. A utility infielder who can play short and pinch run, probably off the waiver wire would make the most sense. OR a third catcher who can play other positions as well, and hit. I was gonna say buy low on Napoli in a trade, but he's heated up. ETA: They let Hughes go because he can't do what they need. And that's back up 2B and SS.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    If Smith was running the show, Butera would be up here as he gave Gardy what ever he wanted.
    I dont' know where this perception comes from, but I assure you, it would be hard to type a more untrue statement. The tension between Smith and Gardy was palpable.

I'll be honest - I don't know where the percetpion that Gardy loves Butera comes from. I see it mentioned here a lot. The Twins sent Butera down early, did not keep a 3rd catcher, and yet everyone is convinced Gardy loves Butera. Why? Because Butera played a lot? Butera played a lot because Gardy uses his bench guys a lot, because it's important Mauer rests a lot and because Butera was on the roster. Am I missing some smoking gun here?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast