Thread: Article: New Cast, New Activities, New Difficulties

Article: New Cast, New Activities, New Difficulties

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Great post, AJ. Good luck with the rehab and recovery. I'd go with some kind of croc-like footwear for a while, but you probably already thought of that.

Do the doctors give you exercises or do you get those from the trainers? Is there some kind of hand-off from one to the other at some point?

Thanks for all the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    Great post, AJ. Good luck with the rehab and recovery. I'd go with some kind of croc-like footwear for a while, but you probably already thought of that.

Do the doctors give you exercises or do you get those from the trainers? Is there some kind of hand-off from one to the other at some point?

Thanks for all the insight!
    Funny you mention it, I wore my Vibram Five Fingers today, they just have a pull string to tighten, made things much easier. Someone suggested elastic shoelaces as well.

Right now I'm just following the workouts the Twins strength coach made for the offseason. Obviously I can't do two handed exercises, so I have modified all of them to fit my situation.

Once I start rehab in a few weeks, I think I will be using the protocol from the doctor with some insight from the trainers. It was a very unique surgery (called a UT split tear repair), so the doc has developed a return to playing program. The Twins have an excellent training and rehab staff that can closely monitor progress and adjust accordingly.

Glad you enjoyed the article!

Outstanding post AJ. Good luck with the recovery. Try to be patient and do not overdo it. We don't want to see you have a relapse. Can you type with both hands or do you only use one to make these posts...

I tried the shoe-lace test using only my right hand and could not do it. UGH. Maybe if I wasn't a 65 year old grandpa...so I cheated and tied with both hands...

Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Outstanding post AJ. Good luck with the recovery. Try to be patient and do not overdo it. We don't want to see you have a relapse. Can you type with both hands or do you only use one to make these posts...

I tried the shoe-lace test using only my right hand and could not do it. UGH. Maybe if I wasn't a 65 year old grandpa...so I cheated and tied with both hands...
    Thanks for reading! The hardest part for me is the patience, but I'm learning. It's good practice for baseball and life.

I'm able to make these posts on my phone using only my right hand. I'm thankful for the iPhone and autocorrect!

The shoe lace challenge is really hard-took me forever. Today I gave in and wore different shoes.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The nurse came in and started cutting away, she got through all the fluff to reveal the forearm of a 7th grade boy. What happened?

There's something that I'll probably have a nightmare about now. Maybe not so much the smaller forearm, but smaller bis/tris since I imagine the entire arm suffers. The muscle loss must be a big drawback while rehabbing. The whole "Use it or lose it," saying in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post

There's something that I'll probably have a nightmare about now. Maybe not so much the smaller forearm, but smaller bis/tris since I imagine the entire arm suffers. The muscle loss must be a big drawback while rehabbing. The whole "Use it or lose it," saying in effect.
    It's pretty incredible how fast it goes away. Luckily I had surgery pretty early on, so I should be able get most (if not all) of my strength back in that arm before the season. It is alarming to compare my right bicep and tricep with my left after just two weeks.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the subject of muscle atrophy, isn't there an electro-stimulation treatment available to keep muscles at least a little bit in tone?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    On the subject of muscle atrophy, isn't there an electro-stimulation treatment available to keep muscles at least a little bit in tone?
    I haven't heard of anything that does that. I have the ability to go through motion with my bicep in my current cast, but they don't want me using the muscles at all. Part of the healing is having my whole arm be still.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for these AJ.
    It's is interesting to be able to follow your progress. Please keep us posted.

We wish you all the best.

(they don't let us have shoelaces in here)