Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mocks: 2014 MLB Draft (Twins Pick #5)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozziedavisfan View Post
    I have to think that Kolek will not fall to us. Pitchers who are 18 and throw 100 don't generally fall. However, this is supposed to be a deep draft. so here's hopeing. As a back up I'd like to see them get either gatewood which is possible or turner (also probably not going to happen.) I think the pick right now is going to be Jackson.
    As the draft is eight months away, I think it's unlikely that the top four will be Rodon, Hoffman, Turner and Kolek. The Twins will likely have their choice of a couple of these guys at #5 assuming they still remain top picks.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Luke Weaver someone i think will rise up draft boards come this spring. frame is small, but can get to major quick. reminds of Zack Greinke

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 314 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozziedavisfan View Post
    I have to think that Kolek will not fall to us. Pitchers who are 18 and throw 100 don't generally fall. However, this is supposed to be a deep draft. so here's hopeing. As a back up I'd like to see them get either gatewood which is possible or turner (also probably not going to happen.) I think the pick right now is going to be Jackson.
    It's going to depend on how many college studs there are in the draft, and that won't be answered until next spring/summer. The college guys with upside carry a bit lower risk and still have the upside, so they likely will get drafted first. I'd say that the odds are good that at least one of Kolec/Gatewood will be available to the twins at number 5, especially if Rodon, Hoffman, Turner, and Beede all do well. Let's just hope they continue to do well next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    If Rodon got hurt, and dropped, would you take him? Say, tommy john hurt?
    Lighten up Francis....

Without a doubt. But the Twins never would do it.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    For the right price maybe... especially if it allowed us to grab a HS guy that fell due to signability concerns.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Rodon's left arm is attached and he's available to the Twins, I take him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Does anyone remember how much the Twins were on Giolito before his arm fell off? I seem to remember rumors that the Twins loved him and were still kicking the tires on him before Buxton emerged as their guy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    For the right price maybe... especially if it allowed us to grab a HS guy that fell due to signability concerns.
    I don't think Rodon would be cheap if he was falling. Giolito received a large bonus despite being picked late.

Right now I'm pulling for Kolek to fall to us but it's going to take 1-2 guys to step up and put themselves solidly into the top 5.

I'm still trying to figure out just how much power Turner has. Right now it sounds like his best arguments are that he's really fast and he plays SS. He obviously has more power than a guy like Billy Hamilton (the type of pick I want to avoid). I would be quite happy with a Jacoby Ellsbury (minus the 32 HR season) type of player (at SS). I'm just concerned that if he misses that upside then he's a fairly ordinary hitter and the only redeeming thing is that he's a SS.
    Last edited by kab21; 10-22-2013 at 11:44 AM.

abosoultly not, not a five to much of a risk if injured.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    For those liking Trea Turner.....the ESPN crew just came out with their top 30, and they were down on his offensive upside, dropping him down to 15. More bad news for immediate help....players 3-9 wre all HS kids.

Insider required:
    Top 30 prospects for 2014 draft - ESPN
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    For those liking Trea Turner.....the ESPN crew just came out with their top 30, and they were down on his offensive upside, dropping him down to 15. More bad news for immediate help....players 3-9 wre all HS kids.

Insider required:
    Who were the top five? I don't have insider.

I'll guess Rodon, Hoffman, Gatewood, Kolek and Jackson?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Who were the top five? I don't have insider.

I'll guess Rodon, Hoffman, Gatewood, Kolek and Jackson?
    Here is the top 5.

1. Carlos Rodon, LHP | N.C. State
    Owner of perhaps the best amateur's slider in recent memory, Rodon is a power lefty with present stuff and a strong track record of missing bats (184 strikeouts in 132 innings last spring). He brings ace potential to a draft that lacks much of that kind of impact.

2. Jeff Hoffman, RHP | East Carolina
    He popped for scouts in the Cape Cod League this summer, moving up boards with a very sudden velocity spike that jumped him ahead of almost all other college arms, but he has never shown the kind of dominant performance that Rodon has, and has to show he can hold this stuff for a full season.

3. Alex Jackson, C | Rancho Bernardo HS (San Diego)
    He’s more likely to end up in right field than behind the plate, but Jackson has elite bat speed and above-average power potential to all fields.

4. Jacob Gatewood, SS | Clovis (Calif.) HS
    Boasting enormous raw power, Gatewood has one of the highest upsides among prep hitters this year, but has to show he's got the hit tool to make the power play and will likely end up at third base in pro ball.

5. Braxton Davidson, OF | T.C. Roberson HS (Asheville, N.C.)
    Davidson may have the most offensive upside of any hitter in the class, thanks to a plus hit tool and the ability to drive the ball to all parts of the ballpark.

The next 5 are pitchers (4 of 5 are highschool pitchers). Kolek is 8, as mike said Turner is 15, and 18 is Beede.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts

Insider required:
    It is always nice when someone more knowledgeable brings up the concerns that I have been bringing up.

It will be interesting to see how this draft shapes up next summer. The Twins should end up with a potential star at #5 but it might not be a pitcher. I can live with that if the Twins end up with a potential star. That's really the important part for me.

Senior Member All-Star
    When I think of Davidson I think of Chris Parmelee, but maybe that's just because they both put on a power display at the Metrodome in prep showcases.

I really hope all the prep arms sort themselves out in a clear pecking order. As HS arms are the most unpredictable, chosing the wrong one would be glaringly obvious down the road. At least if there was a concensus on the order, no one can really say the wrong choice was made as the majority was in agreement.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    "At least if there was a consensus on the order, no one can really say the wrong choice was made..."

Sounds like it's from a scriptwriter for the Twins' PR department. I am also fearing selection of another "toolsy OF" this June.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Blog Entries
    It seems like they are saying that if the draft were today there would be more than 5 guys who would qualify as elite for this draft. That is nice. I doubt Rodon, Hoffman, or Beede are avaialbe at 5, and I suspect they are going to end up with the best HS pitcher again (Kolek), and I'm fine with that. I'd take Gatewood as a consolation prize.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    "At least if there was a consensus on the order, no one can really say the wrong choice was made..."

Sounds like it's from a scriptwriter for the Twins' PR department. I am also fearing selection of another "toolsy OF" this June.
    Ha, so it does.

I'd guess another toolsy OF would be a tough sell for the Twins front office anyway next year. BS or not, everyone preaches BPA, but pitchers and batters are apples and oranges so it's always going to be hard to argue which player is better assuming they were close to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    If Rodon's left arm is attached and he's available to the Twins, I take him.
    Would still take his detached arm if it was flopping around out there in the fourth round.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast