Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The Mocks: 2014 MLB Draft (Twins Pick #5)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Is there a potential Bryant in this draft? A college slugger that might sneak into the top 5? From what I've seen the best college power is the Indiana catcher and Virginia OF Derek Fisher but I'm not sure if either of them could sneak up.
    Bryant was ranked the 6th best college player by BA during last years early draft report so I'm not sure you can say he snuck in. Kyle Schwarber could rise into the top 5 if he can prove he can stay behind the plate. Most profile him as a future 1B and not a catcher though. At the point Turner and Fisher to me look like the only college hitters that could go in the top 5. Max Pentecost could sneak in if a team really wanted a catcher.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone care to speculate who might be available with the Twins second pick? (~38th overall I believe).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Anyone care to speculate who might be available with the Twins second pick? (~38th overall I believe).
    As of right now with comp round A and competitive balance round A we are sitting at 45. There are five players with pick compensation still attached to them so we could drop down a few spots still. This is supposed to be a very deep draft so no matter if we pick 45 or worst case 50 there should still be a solid prospect there. This draft is very deep in promising HS arms. Top 5 picks are pretty easy to narrow it down to who the Twins will draft but till the week before the draft it is impossible to guess who they are looking at in the second round.

Trea Turner pls

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Way too early to speculate but ... Nick Burdi, relief pitcher that the Twins drafted once before. Throws high 90s and should be a quick to the majors closer. Can't start. Seems like a Deron Johnson type pick. Might not be there at 40-something.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, if any TDer wants to mock up picks 30-60 I would read it, just to get an idea of who the 2nd pick could be. I also think you might be the *First* person on the Internet to do a mock past the first round.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    There are a lot of possibilities, but I'll throw out one possible name - Monte Harrison

He'd be a trademarked Twins toolsy HS outfield pick. But he might not be there if he has a good spring, and he might also be a tough sign if he falls to the second round since he is committed to Nebraska to play football & baseball.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    I'm throwing out the name Dillon Cease. High school pitcher from Georgia plus plus fastball, 6-2 could go in the Supplementary round, but I think he falls to the 2nd round, his secondary stuff isn't there yet and most teams will go with a more polished pitcher with their 1st round stuff. If the Twins can teach him a good breaking ball the kid could be an ace... or a 7th inning guy if he can't.

Also watch Justin Sheffield a LHP out of Tennessee 92-95 MPH fastball strong secondary stuff, repeatable mechanics. Definitely a starter. Like cmb0252 mentioned this draft is deep in high school pitching, and I like go with the grain of a drafts strength.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    There are a lot of possibilities, but I'll throw out one possible name - Monte Harrison

He'd be a trademarked Twins toolsy HS outfield pick. But he might not be there if he has a good spring, and he might also be a tough sign if he falls to the second round since he is committed to Nebraska to play football & baseball.
    Yeah, he'd be a very Twins pick.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    By the way, at least one person has already posted a mock draft through the second round.
    http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2...-draft-2/40753

The Twins take Marcus Wilson in this mock. He's another athletic HS outfielder like Monte Harrison; both have plus arms and plus speed. Harrison's probably got the more advanced bat but Wilson has got a lot of projection and there would probably be no problem signing him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    I'm throwing out the name Dillon Cease. High school pitcher from Georgia plus plus fastball, 6-2 could go in the Supplementary round, but I think he falls to the 2nd round, his secondary stuff isn't there yet and most teams will go with a more polished pitcher with their 1st round stuff. If the Twins can teach him a good breaking ball the kid could be an ace... or a 7th inning guy if he can't.

Also watch Justin Sheffield a LHP out of Tennessee 92-95 MPH fastball strong secondary stuff, repeatable mechanics. Definitely a starter. Like cmb0252 mentioned this draft is deep in high school pitching, and I like go with the grain of a drafts strength.
    Since the Twins are still complaining about the lack of LHP (see thread on Brooks Raley), this guy sounds "just right". Considering he is LH, I would not be surprised to learn if he was already selected by the Twins 2nd Round pick.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    By the way, at least one person has already posted a mock draft through the second round.
    http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2...-draft-2/40753

The Twins take Marcus Wilson in this mock. He's another athletic HS outfielder like Monte Harrison; both have plus arms and plus speed. Harrison's probably got the more advanced bat but Wilson has got a lot of projection and there would probably be no problem signing him.
    I'd be on board with Kolek and Wilson as our first two picks.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Found this review of Jeff Hoffman's season debut really interesting. He probably won't be available at #5, but if he was, he sounds good:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...-jeff-hoffman/

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    I'd be on board with Kolek and Wilson as our first two picks.
    I'm interested also, but picking the top HS arm at #5 may require a large signing bonus. If the Twins go that route, it might be hard to snag another high ceiling HS guy in the 2nd round and get him to sign.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-17-2014 at 08:51 AM.

15. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

maxisagod (02-17-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still take the BPA, but I am hoping for Kolek. You can never have too much pitching.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Definitely a Kolek fan as well. Also like Turner a lot. Would be pretty happy either way. If they do take Turner I'd hope they'd take another talented HS pitcher in round 2.
    Last edited by InfraRen; 02-17-2014 at 12:33 PM.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Turner's season debut, with video: http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...s-trea-turner/. Bunt single to first base in 3.42 seconds.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Turner's season debut, with video: http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...s-trea-turner/. Bunt single to first base in 3.42 seconds.
    Yeah, I'd be down for an elite SS prospect. He looks crazy fast.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's not going to excite a lot of you guys, but Luke Weaver had a real good start to his season. The Twins are high on him and see some Greinke similarities.

Recap: http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...es-opening-win

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    One other point on the draft - the Marlins at #2 also have three other picks in the 30-40 range and a really cheap owner. They could very well underdraft at 2 to save some money for other guys and let a better player slip by them.
    That is a good call. They have #2, #36, #38, and #42. They could probably go above slot a few times if they save $1-$2M at #2. That would be great.

The Royals snagged Mannea at about 35 last year and he was a top 3 guy 6-8 weeks out until he had a hip injury, velo drop as a result. Maybe that will be the added incentive for them to do the same thing.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast