Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BA Midwest League Twins #1 Buxton, #13 Berrios, #15 Walker, 20 Polanco

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All these kids have things to work on and the fact is none of us now what the "Twins" want these kids working on specifically from year to year. Those are the questions I would like answered next spring from Terry Ryan and coaches in the minors. Some what of a gameplan for the prospects in terms of their growth progression.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Hey lightfoot... as the lead drummer for Walker, are you 'disappointed' that he was only 15th? I, for one, think that that is quite a feather in his cap considering the group of pitchers and position players in front of him... especially since he came into the season without any top-100 hype. This also means that he was the second best position 'prospect' on CR... ahead of Polanco, Keplar, Harrison, Goodrum and Hicks. That is not a bad jump for his first full-season. I think this shows just how legitimate his power/speed combo is, and I think if he can even come close to repeating this years numbers in the FSL next year (even without improving his W/SO rate) he will garner some top-100 votes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Hey lightfoot... as the lead drummer for Walker, are you 'disappointed' that he was only 15th? I, for one, think that that is quite a feather in his cap considering the group of pitchers and position players in front of him...
    Not at all. He will always have to prove himself more (as a 3rd rounder), until he actually does something in the show. I actually thought he wouldn't get ranked at all. I thought all the 1st rounders from this years draft would be included as well. He still has a lot to prove, but I think his upside is as good or better than every position prospect in the Twins organization (minus Buxton and Sano). The funny thing is - if he didn't have that bad Cape expereince - he would have been a 1st rounder and everyone would have assumed he would be on this list. Draft status dictates these list and sometimes understandably so. I just like where the Twins are headed in the next 3 years. My prediction for Walker is a RF version of Paul Goldschmidt moving forward. [Build - Swing - Stolen Bases - Impact]

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Does anyone know how many innings he threw in HS in 2012? He only threw 31 innings for the Twins in 2012 vs. 104 innings in 2013. Seems like that is a big jump to make.
    Those HS numbers are going to be hard to peg down, not only for playing in Puerto Rico but for all the traveling squad games that he took part of as well. So 50-70 innings is probably a good guesstimate maybe 10-15 more. Plus much of those games would likely have been fastball heavy by Jose. To start this year off, Berrios was on the Puerto Rican WBC team. Sure he only threw 2 official innings but when I talked to him he said he was throwing sooner than he had in the past and looks like he just ran out of gas at the end.
    So something around 130 IP (give or take) looks like a good bet in 2014.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I might quibble a little bit with the Berrios/Walker/Polanco rankings, but having all three of them in the 13-20 range is about right, so if you think one is a couple slots high or a couple slots low (which I do), that's totally immaterial.

What's very impressive and encouraging for Twins fans is that the Twins placed four players among the top 20 prospects in a league with 16 teams and there were a couple others that might have had an argument had things fallen a little differently. Brett Lee was strong all season. Mason Melotakis was lights out once he finally found the grip for his slider. Travis Harrison was about as impressive offensively as Walker through the first half of the season, before hitting a similar "wall" as Berrios.

A lot of talent in that group.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

I wonder if Buxton leaving the league had anything to do with a few players hitting the wall. A guy with that kind of talent makes everyone around him better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12