Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Indians@Twins 9/29 Game 162 Final Game 2013

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    okay, good, they are playing sappy commercials. a good cover in case I need to shed a tear over this game.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,833 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Pfft ... I'd have never let Tom Hanks get away with that.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Best to let Yogi explain another season like the last :

Think about we could lose 96 games again and we went 9-1 against the Brewers and Astros.
    IMO we are in worse shape after this year than we were after last. More question marks and more players showing they don't belong. Sorry that was kind of serious. I'll go back in my corner now!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Blog Entries
    You know the saying .. you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ... while maybe a different manager would have made the difference in a few more wins, ultimately, the make up of the team is more the reason why we are the way we are. imo.
    I understand what you are saying. But taking Plouffe as an example, it seems to me that he has the talent, the tools and the potential to be a silk purse. What if he had a manager who met with him informally several times a week to help him focus his skills and who gave him a lot of positive reinforcement? And what if the Twins had a manager who had a detailed strategy for getting the most out of each player?

Maybe Gardy is doing all this and more. And obviously the Twins had some players who lack potential. But I keep wondering whether better managing and coaching might have resulted in an overall better attitude and more than a few additional wins.

Blog Entries
    That last play proves to me that Plouffe can play good defense, when his head is in the game.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,199 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had some hopes for a nice game by Diamond to close out the season. First three batters reaching base, two runs in, and there goes that theory.

I still hold some hope for a few of the players given lengthy tryouts in 2013, but I believe Ryan needs to cut ties with most of the clutter that is on this 40-man roster. Preferably by 3-for-1 trades to get some minor leaguers with upside, but DFA if need be. 2013 was supposed to be about finding out what we've got, and the answer (at the 40-man roster level) is "not much".
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 09-29-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    I understand what you are saying. But taking Plouffe as an example, it seems to me that he has the talent, the tools and the potential to be a silk purse. What if he had a manager who met with him informally several times a week to help him focus his skills and who gave him a lot of positive reinforcement? And what if the Twins had a manager who had a detailed strategy for getting the most out of each player?

Maybe Gardy is doing all this and more. And obviously the Twins had some players who lack potential. But I keep wondering whether better managing and coaching might have resulted in an overall better attitude and more than a few additional wins.
    I hear ya. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to make changes. I hesitate to use the term 'better' but certainly a different approach is warranted. But in Plouffe's case, I think it's more than a different manager, I wonder what the heck is Plouffe's problem. I think it's more than just a manager.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Comment 3--I am a Diamond fan and his regression was predictable. However, for him to fall so far, so fast, is astonishing. I think his arm was and may still be less than 100% and I think he will be in the rotation next year with results closer to 2012 than 2013. He's got enough stuff to be effective, but he does need command and good defense.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    That last play proves to me that Plouffe can play good defense, when his head is in the game.
    Here again, I don't think the onus is just the manager's for that. At the level Plouffe is at, I think his focus is on him.

Blog Entries
    Comment 4--Gardy! He will miss out on 1000 wins for the Twins. While his moves and methods have been panned here, I think he's done a good job with flawed team. That said, I think it is time for a new voice and new emphasis. Gardy and his guys will find jobs somewhere else, I imagine, and it could be a win-win for Gardy and the Twins.

IMO Gardy really needs to take a year off, do some TV work and get himself in better shape. His brother died of a heart a few years ago and Gardy is working on his own.
    Recharge his batteries, in better shape he'll have more energy and have no problem getting another job.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Blog Entries
    Here again, I don't think the onus is just the manager's for that. At the level Plouffe is at, I think his focus is on him.
    I agree that Plouffe is primarily responsible, and I am merely wondering whether a manager who is particularly good at working with young players might help Plouffe turn it around.

I may be totally wrong, but it seems to me that if we could somehow transplant Punto's brain into Plouffe's body we could have a player with HOF potential.

Blog Entries
    Comment 5--Mauer. He's going to finish second in the AL in hitting. He remains a great hitter, but despite his reluctance I think it is time to hand him a first baseman's mitt and say "this is your position". While he wouldn't be as valuable as a great-hitting, modest power, 1B, getting 150 games per year would make up for the loss of value.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 Times in 493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Merely clicking Like on Brian's intro seemed insufficient, so:

Attachment 5751

Did it hurt when they cut them off?

Also, did you ask your wife's permission prior to removing them from her purse?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Comment 6--Terry Ryan (JR for you BYTOers). The man knows baseball, and he is more of a straight shooter than almost any GM. However, I question whether he is the man to guide this franchise for the next ten years. A quote originally about Calvin Griffith comes to mind: "he throws quarters around like they are manhole covers". If he considers the 3-$21M contract for Willingham a "huge contract", he is not going to acquire or keep premium talent, especially pitching. Also, I think he might be too loyal to the guys below him in the organization. I believe it is time to clean house and let the new talent come in. Uh-oh, Mrs. Stringer is calling and I will miss the rest of the game. Enjoy!

Boys and girl have a nice off season it's been fun when not in my corner.

Have a b-day party to go to for my granddaughter and her 5 day old baby sister.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,240 Times in 493 Posts
    A 1-hitter for my birthday*? How did you know what I wanted!

*Yes, my actual birthday. Also my twin boys' birthday.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Comment 5--Mauer. He's going to finish second in the AL in hitting. He remains a great hitter, but despite his reluctance I think it is time to hand him a first baseman's mitt and say "this is your position". While he wouldn't be as valuable as a great-hitting, modest power, 1B, getting 150 games per year would make up for the loss of value.
    Given the Twins' history with concussions and the dollars that they have committed to Mauer, I think that it would be a bad idea to let him player catcher any more.

On the other hand, if I had time I would like to work with some engineers to develop a catcher's helmet that absorbs more of the energy from a fouled baseball. The shock absorbers on a car absorb a lot of energy and it seems to me that the same principal (and other principals of physics) could be applied to make catchers' helmets a lot better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Comment 6--Terry Ryan (JR for you BYTOers). The man knows baseball, and he is more of a straight shooter than almost any GM. However, I question whether he is the man to guide this franchise for the next ten years. A quote originally about Calvin Griffith comes to mind: "he throws quarters around like they are manhole covers". If he considers the 3-$21M contract for Willingham a "huge contract", he is not going to acquire or keep premium talent, especially pitching. Also, I think he might be too loyal to the guys below him in the organization. I believe it is time to clean house and let the new talent come in. Uh-oh, Mrs. Stringer is calling and I will miss the rest of the game. Enjoy!
    Thanks for all of your contributions this season, my friend!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Boys and girl have a nice off season it's been fun when not in my corner.

Have a b-day party to go to for my granddaughter and her 5 day old baby sister.
    Thanks for all you did this season to make these games bearable, and congratulations on the new baby.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast