Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gomez

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts

Gomez

Someone please tell me they just watched him homer and then get ejected. that was classic.

really?!? why? how?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Too bad he couldn't stay in the game just to be plunked. That was complete bush league behavior. He shouldn't have made it around second base.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 128 Posts
    It is on the Yahoo MLB page - sounds like he admired his home run and then had some verbal interactions as he rounded the bases, and got into it with McCann at the plate -- benches then cleared. He never did have a self-confidence problem.

Video: MIL@ATL: Benches clear after Gomez's solo home run | MLB.com

I was watching the Braves telecast when this happened and Chip and Simpson even commented a little later how different the takes were according to the different broadcast booths. Essentially the Braves guys blamed Gomez and Anderson and Schroeder blamed the Braves. I'd side with the Braves on this one. While immensely entertained by this, Gomez acted like a complete psychopath. I can only hope we get to hear Telly interview him about this incident.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep, no one has ever gotten caught up in an exciting moment and admired a home run. Of course, vigilante catchers literally blocking a guy from getting to home plate just to teach some veiled lesson about sportsmanship happens all the time. Frankly, I'm bored with having to see it so often.

All of the verbal interactions and acts of aggression came from Braves players. Who gets to throw baseballs at them?
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Make that Yahoo front page!

Go CarGo! Hate the effin Braves.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brian McCann just jumped toward the top of my favorite players list. Gomez - that was a joke!! Good for Freeman. And good for Reed Johnson, who I believe got a punch in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Yep, no one has ever gotten caught up in an exciting moment and admired a home run. Of course, vigilante catchers literally blocking a guy from getting to home plate just to teach some veiled lesson about sportsmanship happens all the time. Frankly, I'm bored with having to see it so often.

All of the verbal interactions and acts of aggression came from Braves players. Who gets to throw baseballs at them?
    Really?! You obviously watched the highlight and not the game. Gomez has been jawing all series and was jawing at Maholm as he finally left home plate. That's what started the comments from Braves players around the bases. Freddie Freeman is arguably the calmest, friendliest player in the entire major leagues, so for him to get riled up, you know something was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Make that Yahoo front page!

Go CarGo! Hate the effin Braves.
    Carlos Gonzalez had nothing to do with this game...

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Brian McCann just jumped toward the top of my favorite players list. Gomez - that was a joke!! Good for Freeman. And good for Reed Johnson, who I believe got a punch in.
    McCann has had two excellent moments at the plate recently in home run situations. He and Jose Fernandez had good words (verified by both) talking about respecting the game after Fernandez's home run in his final start. Tonight was standing up to a guy who'd done nothing but jaw all series and then went way overboard from the second the ball left his bat.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 128 Posts
    Go Go in 2008 spring training, before he had played one game for the Twins. Humble from the start.

"I am going to create a lot of RBIs for (Justin) Morneau, the catcher and the other guy."

I suppose the other guy could either be Kubel or Cuddyer.
    Last edited by D. Hocking; 09-25-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    I was watching the game actually. I've also watched Gomez plenty in his career. I'd say 90% of the time he's "jawing," he's talking to (or yelling at) himself. Gomez admired his home run. I'm willing to admit that he shouldn't do that. I will always consider that a lesser infraction than someone throwing a baseball at another person, much less a punch. I guess I just value the unwritten rules of humanity over baseball's.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

I was watching the game actually. I've also watched Gomez plenty in his career. I'd say 90% of the time he's "jawing," he's talking to (or yelling at) himself. Gomez admired his home run. I'm willing to admit that he shouldn't do that. I will always consider that a lesser infraction than someone throwing a baseball at another person, much less a punch. I guess I just value the unwritten rules of humanity over baseball's.
    The whole fracas got weird as far as who was ejected and who wasn't, I'll give you that. Freddie Freeman was ejected for what appeared to be an accidental bump of Aramis Ramirez while in the pile, but Reed Johnson, who got in the best punch on the whole thing, was left in the game. That part didn't make sense at all.

That said, no one intentionally threw a pitch. Gomez was bringing a HBP from June to the plate against Maholm and started yelling at him as soon as he hit the ball. This wasn't typical "jawing" that Gomez does.

Gomez did give this:

Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    The whole fracas got weird as far as who was ejected and who wasn't, I'll give you that. Freddie Freeman was ejected for what appeared to be an accidental bump of Aramis Ramirez while in the pile, but Reed Johnson, who got in the best punch on the whole thing, was left in the game. That part didn't make sense at all.

That said, no one intentionally threw a pitch. Gomez was bringing a HBP from June to the plate against Maholm and started yelling at him as soon as he hit the ball. This wasn't typical "jawing" that Gomez does.
    Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that part of the history. I'm just not a fan of baseball justice and I never will be. It's probably the part of the game I like least. I do feel I'm in the minority though. To each their own.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Carlos Gonzalez had nothing to do with this game...
    Who dat?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Who dat?
    He is CarGo

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that part of the history. I'm just not a fan of baseball justice and I never will be. It's probably the part of the game I like least. I do feel I'm in the minority though. To each their own.
    Yeah, not a fan of the whole "justice" thing, but this had nothing to do with that. Gomez came up pissed that Maholm had the nerve to throw a 70 mph curve that hit his lower leg in June. He hit a home run and screamed at Maholm from the plate before taking off. Then he kept hollering as he ran, which is what engaged Freeman at first and eventually McCann at home. Really there was no baseball justice enforced here, just Carlos Gomez being a doofus.

I like Gomez but I don't think there was any way he was yelling at himself. It was pretty obvious that he was yelling at Maholm the whole way and then McCann when he finally noticed him.

Unlike you, however, I found the whole incident awesome. An otherwise boring game is now going to be memorable for the foreseeable future.

Of course I like guys that have a loose wire like Gomez, Nyjer, Milton Bradley, etc. They make things more interesting for me while I watch the robotic Twins lose 95 games a season.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast