Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: 2012 MLB Draft starting to come into focus

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Pitching is always priority #1, always. Good pitching keeps you in games, leading to more wins -- much more so than offense will on a consistent basis. That said, if there are no #2 projected starters or higher, go with the best player available, IMO.

Good comment Richter....way too early to get excited about Revere, Benson or Hicks. My god, don't people understand that there are only a handful of players that ever come up from the minors and stick for good. Its a development process that is not an exact science no matter how much statistical analysis and eye ball tests are done.

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Comparing to last year is odd. It is considered the deepest draft ever. That said, if they pass on a pitcher, I have no idea how this team will ever get one.
    The problem is the pitchers available in this draft, here are the numbers from the last start of the top 3 college pitchers projected in this draft: Kevin Gausman - 7 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, Kyle Zimmer - 8 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 10 K, Mark Appel - 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K. None of those numbers are ace numbers and all of them give up WAY too many hits, if they're doing that in college major league hitters are gonna distroy them.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem is the pitchers available in this draft, here are the numbers from the last start of the top 3 college pitchers projected in this draft: Kevin Gausman - 7 IP, 10 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, Kyle Zimmer - 8 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 10 K, Mark Appel - 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K. None of those numbers are ace numbers and all of them give up WAY too many hits, if they're doing that in college major league hitters are gonna distroy them.
    Well, to some degree you're right, but also its all about projectibility and upside. Maybe Zimmer has a bit more upside, and room for improvement compared to many other college pitchers, maybe he doesn't . The point is, it doesn't automatically mean they'll be much worse in the majors. Remember, college hitters use Metal bats, last i checked, and for some they actually IMPROVE once in proffesional ball (minor-lgs.) because they get to face wooden bats.

I'd Be fine With Zimmer or Giolto @ #2 but thats it on the pitching front. (well Lucas Gioloto is a for-gone conclusion at this point that we won't go that high becuase of little scare)

So for me (ALTHOUGH unlike several fans I'm looking forward to all the high picks in the top 100 selections , and not just #2 overall)

it'd be between

Buxton, Zimmer, Zunino.

maybe Gioloto or Correa or Marrero sneaks in there last minute.

But i can' t wait to see what they'll do in the sandwich round and 2nd and 3rd rounds also.

Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    Well, to some degree you're right, but also its all about projectibility and upside. Maybe Zimmer has a bit more upside, and room for improvement compared to many other college pitchers, maybe he doesn't . The point is, it doesn't automatically mean they'll be much worse in the majors. Remember, college hitters use Metal bats, last i checked, and for some they actually IMPROVE once in proffesional ball (minor-lgs.) because they get to face wooden bats.

I'd Be fine With Zimmer or Giolto @ #2 but thats it on the pitching front. (well Lucas Gioloto is a for-gone conclusion at this point that we won't go that high becuase of little scare)

So for me (ALTHOUGH unlike several fans I'm looking forward to all the high picks in the top 100 selections , and not just #2 overall)

it'd be between

Buxton, Zimmer, Zunino.

maybe Gioloto or Correa or Marrero sneaks in there last minute.

But i can' t wait to see what they'll do in the sandwich round and 2nd and 3rd rounds also.
    I agree with you on upside but lots also drop off(see: Hunt, Shooter). This year garret cole has had a problem with giving up a bunch of hits though and he was better in college than anyone this year. I agree that Zimmer has the most upside but he also has the biggest potential to bust. He would be my choice though if we went college pitcher. Gausman scares me a little although he could be the next nolan ryan(same wind up, electric fastball, lots of walks) and Appel is over rated(mark my words he will just be an average major leaguer at best). I've said it before but I'm still not sold on buxton. I'm actually warming a bunch on Stroman, he's gonna make a lot of teams sorry that they passed on him. I'm still sold on Zunino though. I'm really interested in the supplemental round and the 2nd too. I know we'll get TJ Oakes at some point but I wonder if someone will drop to us like McCullers, Smoral, or Roache there's always a high ranked guy who drops for whatever reason, maybe that's Stroman or Watcha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12