Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: 2012 MLB Draft starting to come into focus

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 2012 MLB Draft starting to come into focus

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Where does this year's draft talent stack up against other or "normal" draft's talent? I have the impression that the talent is down this year, but I may be wrong.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've heard it is down, but there's no way of actually knowing that. I'm working on some draft preview kind of stories too and finding that it's really impossible to project.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    I was thinking how herculean a task it would be to make a determination of talent in one draft compared to another, but no so difficult to compare the talent 1-10. I do think the 1-10 projections this year are not as talented comparatively, but what the heck do I know.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Consider that in each draft, somewhere around 1600 players get drafted. Maybe 50-55% of them sign.

Even just analysing the first ten rounds, we're talking about 350-400 players. Can we analyze the draft before the draft? Can we even analyze it 5 or even 10 years later? Probably not. I've looked back 30+ years. It's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I've heard it is down, but there's no way of actually knowing that. I'm working on some draft preview kind of stories too and finding that it's really impossible to project.
    I've heard that it is down on top end talent but deep overall, especially in pitching. Guys like Appel and Zimmer would've been on the bottom of the top 10 or early teens last year but buxton and zunino could've been top 5. I don't think this really affects us because we have a top 2 pick. I really think that the weakness in this draft is due to all the questions around players whether it's injuries or inconsistencies. There is some really good talent though and I think draft experts are gonna be surprised with how well this draft turns out.

Consensus is that the talent is waaaaaaaayyyyy down at the top of the draft. Buxton is rated slightly worse than Starling, and the consensus said Starling was drafted too high. The top pick this year would maybe have gone 8-10 last year. While it may be true that this is a deep draft, that doesn't matter at all for the 2nd pick. As usual, the Minnesota team gets hosed with its top pick after a miserable previous season. What's really sad is that last year's pitchers were all the guys the Twins need this year:

Bauer
    Cole
    Bundy
    Hultzen
    Bradley
    and then there's Anthony Rendon, a 3B/2B who could quickly take Valencia's spot (Sano's going to end up corner OF)

The Twins would have taken ANY of those five pitchers long before any pitcher this year. Zimmer might have some possibilities, but I think Houston will take him if he's good enough to go #2, which is debatable. Appel is getting hit and not striking guys out at a good enough rate for a very high pick (3.32 ERA in 57 IP, 55 K as of last week). This looks bad. Right now the safest pick Zunino. Giolito would have been the first pick, I think, and I guess now I'm following Gausman, Wacha, and Stroman. All these guys are reaches right now, but maybe two will look better come June.

I quit reading as soon as you mentioned drafting for need. Terry Ryan cant assess the current needs of the club let alone the needs of the club 3 years down the road when these prospects are ready. Stick to the. NFL draft Cody you have shown you know nothing about mlb draft logic.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My take is Cody was not advocating the draft for need philosophy, just stating that it is a option. Which it is. Is it the best, probably not. But I can see where having another high tools high school outfielder would not be something to make most Twins fans hearts stop from excitement. It would however make someone like Aaron Hicks or Joe Benson expendable to a trade however, if either hit enough this year to make themselves attractive to another team. Could that bring a arm the Twins could use at the top of the roatation at some point. Maybe. Stock piling assests is not a bad thing. Me I kind of like the Catcher, that it a position of need.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I sure hope they just draft whoever they think is the best player. If Buxton falls to #2, they better not pass him up solely on the fact that they've got organizational depth in the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_dw View Post
    I sure hope they just draft whoever they think is the best player. If Buxton falls to #2, they better not pass him up solely on the fact that they've got organizational depth in the OF.
    I highly doubt the Twins have a major league starting calibur outfield in their system outside of Sano (if he doesnt end up at 1b).

Hicks, Benson, and Revere all appear to be fringe mlb starters at best and all have had enough time in the minors that you wonder if they will ever make it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I gotta say, I'm intrigued about Zunino at #2. If Buxton goes to Houston (a big if) an eventual Mauer/Zunino C/DH platoon could be pretty impressive.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Comparing to last year is odd. It is considered the deepest draft ever. That said, if they pass on a pitcher, I have no idea how this team will ever get one.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that right now, conclusions can be made about the NFL draft only The MLB rule 4 draft is still far away. A couple of wildcards in those lists you see out there: The people who make the lists spend time scouting in the US and centered on certain areas in the US particularly. At some point later this spring we will start hearing about talent in Puerto Rico and Canada. Also, some of the kids, esp. high school would have developed until last time seen by the people who make lists. Still too early, but I think that the Twins should get the pitcher with the highest potential (which is different that the 'most ready now' pitcher) with the #2 overall pick
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Comparing to last year is odd. It is considered the deepest draft ever. That said, if they pass on a pitcher, I have no idea how this team will ever get one.
    Over Zunino? I just want the best player available. If this really is a deep draft, I would rather take a sure thing position player up top and use 3 of the next 4 picks on pitching. Pitching is just so volatile in terms of outcomes. I'd rather get the best position player available.
    AKA: TMW

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Since I never see them trading for or signing a starting pitcher that is great and in his prime earning years, yes, I want a pitcher with the highest upside.

You can get good pitchers elsewhere in the Top 72 where the Twins have 5 picks. The #2 needs to be as close to a sure thing as possible. If the best player was a pitcher by a mile by the time June comes around, then sure. But that doesn't appear to be the case here. A lot could happen, but right now I think Zunino's the guy.
    AKA: TMW

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I like Zunino and Correa the best. If they choose to take a pitcher, please take Zimmer over Appel. No need to choose another pitch to contact type with the #2 pick.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kevin Goldstein answered the "strength of this draft class" question on Twitter a few days ago. On the 20-80 scouting scale, he had last years Draft class as a 65-70, this years as a 40-45, so it's a below average class according to him. Also stated that this years potential #1 picks wouldn't have been picked in the top 5 last year.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    Hicks, Benson, and Revere all appear to be fringe mlb starters at best and all have had enough time in the minors that you wonder if they will ever make it.
    Career Minor league PA and OPS for:

Revere: 1668, .788
    Benson: 2431, .797
    Hicks: 1603, .786
    Denard Span: 2428, .711
    Michael Cuddyer: 2912, .868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast