Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins shut down Mauer for rest of season

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins shut down Mauer for rest of season

In speaking with the media this afternoon, Twins general manager Terry Ryan announced that the team has decided to shutdown Joe Mauer because of his on-going concussion issue, tweeted FoxSportNorth.com's Tyler Mason.

The Twins have just seven games remaining and Mauer has had on-again, off-again symptoms so there is little reason to push the franchise player. Mauer last played on August 19 and will now miss a total of 39 games due to the brain injury.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    good decision.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins shut down Mauer for rest of season

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,287 Times in 690 Posts
    Has he had any recurring symptoms in the last few days? Or was this just a common sense precaution?

Last I heard he was working out with no issues.

Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    It makes sense to me. Can we somehow also stop him from aging?

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Other than trying to get Gardenhire his 1000th win, I can't possibly imagine what would be gained by letting Mauer play. Any season ticket holder for whom Mauer's season being over is the final straw after a season like this must have a closet full of Mauer jerseys at home.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    It makes sense to me. Can we somehow also stop him from aging?
    The technology to preserve people with freezing has been around for a while now, but the thawing and reactivation tech is still a work in progress. Like the idea, though.

If cryo preservation worked, Mauer should have been on ice before the All Star break three years running now. Not sure how Mrs. Joe would feel about that though.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "I think some people take pain in different ways," Twins center fielder Torii Hunter said. "Some people have to play at 100 percent, and Joe may be one of those guys. I've seen it happen. Joe is a good player, and he wants to perform at 100 percent, not at 80 percent.
    "Me, I grew up in a different time. I'm ready to play no matter what -- broken toe, hamstring, groin, back -- and that's the mentality I've grown to have."
    June 2007

Kind of miss the old "Twins Way"

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You don't want to step into the batters box with a foggy head as 90+ MPH fastballs come zooming at you. Concussions aren't the same as other physical injuries...

And it's not like Hunter hasn't missed time due to injury either.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    "I think some people take pain in different ways," Twins center fielder Torii Hunter said. "Some people have to play at 100 percent, and Joe may be one of those guys. I've seen it happen. Joe is a good player, and he wants to perform at 100 percent, not at 80 percent.
    "Me, I grew up in a different time. I'm ready to play no matter what -- broken toe, hamstring, groin, back -- and that's the mentality I've grown to have."
    June 2007

Yet, Hunter is a player who no one will remember in 15 years, whereas Mauer is a potential first ballot hof'er

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This should be good. Do not risk another injury until next year. Will not matter much this year and just takes AB's away from players who need to be evaluated.

"I think some people take pain in different ways,"
    Twins center fielder Torii Hunter said.
    "Some people have to play at 100 percent, and Joe may be one of those guys. I've seen it happen. Joe is a good player, and he wants to perform at 100 percent, not at 80 percent.
    "Me, I grew up in a different time. I'm ready to play no matter what -- brokentoe, hamstring, groin, back -- and that's the mentality I've grown to have."
    June 2007

amen brother

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    June 2007

You realize of course that the number of games that Hunter missed was not markedly different than the number of games Mauer missed during their last 5 years together in Minnesota?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seven games It is not like it is July... Let's see Pinto play.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcarlic View Post
    Yet, Hunter is a player who no one will remember in 15 years, whereas Mauer is a potential first ballot hof'er
    I'll remember Hunter. One of my favorite Twins of all time.

That is, if I'm alive in 15 yrs.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hunter had some injuries: 2005 - Broke ankle and torn ligaments crashing into the wall at Fenway park, 2009 - seperated shoulder crashing into the wall at Dodger Stadium. Mauer missed time in 2007 for stress reaction in fibula and 2011 bilateral leg weakness. Really not much of a comparison on the injuries.

And I'll remember Torii Hunter in 15 years. I have a feeling that in 2 years we will be complaining about paying Mauer $23 million for his production at first base, hope that doesn't hurt the HOF love.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Also for people pining for the old twins ways, how many series in the playoffs did the hunter lead teams win? Just one? I thought it was World Series or bust?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    Mark Kotsay approves of my post.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    You don't want to step into the batters box with a foggy head as 90+ MPH fastballs come zooming at you. Concussions aren't the same as other physical injuries...
    ^This.

It amazes me how people lump concussions in with every other injury. You can't "tough out" a head injury. It's a whole different beast altogether.

Now the real question: Does Souhan just re-run one of his brilliant "Mauer is soft" articles, or will he actually add new content for the newest edition once he catches wind of Mauer being shut down?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast