Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry Ryan on KFAN

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Terry Ryan on KFAN

Terry Ryan was interviewed on Thursday by Paul Allen and dropped some interesting tidbits:

Re: Free agency pitching

"If we're going to do anything here and succeed in the near and long long-term Paul, it's probably no going to be via free agency. It's going to be drafting and international acquisitions and trades and so forth. Very rarely do you end up succeeding because of free agency.

Now when you get to a point where you're very competitive and you're looking World Series area, then you go out and you might end up doing something of that nature. But most clubs, and we're one of them, you're not going to probably get it done via the free agency route. You can certainly compliment your roster. And there will be people out there we'll be aggressively pursuing. There's no doubt we need to go that path on occasion.

But for long-term success, we're going to have to have the Sanos and the Rosarios and the Alex Meyers and Trevor Mays and those types of guys come through. And then all of a sudden you have the opportunity to add a free agent; then you go do it."
    It sure sounds to me like we shouldn't expect any big pitching signings this offseason. However, I was excited that "international acquisitions" sprung to his mind as a way to improve the roster.

A couple of other notes;
    1. He says Sano isn't "roster eligible" for another year and a half, which is a year later than I thought.
    2. He claims Sano isn't read defensively more than offensively.
    3. A Gardenhire decision will come down "very close to after the season."
    4. He didn't tip his hand on Gardy. He said he was a big fan of his, but he didn't say that meant he was safe.
    5. Also said he didn't think Ron Gardenhire would step away on his own.
    6. There are major league players that he said didn't have the year he was hoping and he wants to get back on track.
    7. Has a wait-and-see approach on Mauer and wants Mauer's input.

Here it is if you would like to listen to it. The interview starts at the 32 minute mark.

http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-pa...ryan-23738179/
    Last edited by John Bonnes; 09-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good grief. He has got to go. His aversion to FA is so far out of line that unless the stars align and prospects turn into stars, he will never have a legit contending team. Maybe the international thing is a hint toward Tanaka, but I can't believe it until it happens given his history. He is depressing to listen to when he talks about baseball.

I was excited to see football start. Now the Vikings suck and will be lucky to win a game all season and now I'm looking forward to spring training again.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I 100% agree with Ryan on Free Agency.

The Sano roster eligibility info has been on Twins Daily's Rosters & Payroll's page all along. Check out all of Jeremy Nygaard's roster/payroll work here: http://twinsdaily.com/1272-minnesota...roll-2013.html

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    "He says Sano isn't "roster eligible" for another year and a half, which is a year later than I thought."
    I'm thinking he means "has to be placed on the 40 man" or he could go in the rule five. He is eligible to be on the roster right now it's just not required so they are saving a 40 man spot for Clete and company.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano will be here earlier than that. Was is meant is that he does not have to take up a 40 man roster spot at least until the end of spring training next year. Not that the Twins will not have plenty of roster spots this winter.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All he's saying is that Sano doesn't need to be added to the 40 man roster until after next season (next November). But, as has been posted above, he will obviously (unless injured) be added to the 40 man roster much sooner. However, there is no reason to add him this November.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "If we're going to do anything here and succeed in the near and long long-term Paul, it's probably no going to be via free agency. It's going to be drafting and international acquisitions and trades and so forth. Very rarely do you end up succeeding because of free agency.
    This quote by Ryan, I believe this is true. You can find teams that went out, spent massively in the free agent market and had successful years. Rarely if ever, did the success last much beyond a year or 2. Usually if it did, there was a strong home grown nuculeus to build around. I think that is what Ryan is saying and I agree with this approach. I do expect some spending in the free agent market this winter, and I hope it is an impact pitcher. Since, including international free agents, there probably isn't more than 2 or 3 impact (No 1 or 2 starters) starters I don't know how likely my hope is.
    Last edited by Jim H; 09-23-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    While, I'm personally not a fan of most of the free agent arms, I have to agree that whenever Ryan talks baseball it is depressing. If it is about free agents, payroll, Gardy's future, or even his preference on pitcher velocity. Depressing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I love it when the defenders (and the FO) give their spiel dismissing Free Agents. They speak as if free agents are the only players to be added to a roster to improve results. Everyone else is talking about adding less than a handful of them.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I have a vague sense of not liking, or agreeing with, what Ryan had to say.

But it's hard to form much of an opinion, because it's hard for me to understand just what the heck he's saying.

"We're not going to use free agency to get better. Except maybe when we get better, then we'll use free agency to get better. Or maybe not. But we're not going to 'get it done' via free agency. Except we need to make the roster better, so we'll be aggressively pursuing free agents. There's no doubt we need to do that. But long term, we can't get better through free agency, but we might."

His quote would fit right in at a presidential debate.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sigh
    Every time Ryan opens his mouth, the marketing department of the Twins must shudder. Doesn't he get that his current roster is an embarrassment?!?

And you know what really chaps my hide?
    Why isn't the media talking about firing Ryan? Why is he untouchable?
    The first question he should be asked is "Why is Gardy on the Hot Seat and Not You?"

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

But it's hard to form much of an opinion, because it's hard for me to understand just what the heck he's saying.

"We're not going to use free agency to get better. Except maybe when we get better, then we'll use free agency to get better. Or maybe not. But we're not going to 'get it done' via free agency. Except we need to make the roster better, so we'll be aggressively pursuing free agents. There's no doubt we need to do that. But long term, we can't get better through free agency, but we might."

I really liked this post, except for when I didn't.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 659 Times in 371 Posts

this. But this confusing claptrap says it all to me: there is no clear plan for how to utilize the new revenues. This team still always says they will be used to "retain", not add. Contradictions like this speak to a higher likelihood of the pessimistic predictions coming true.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    He's hedging his bets, tempering expectations and speaking philosophically about where success is rooted. That said, it's difficult to draw any conclusions from what he's saying.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I really liked this post, except for when I didn't.
    Well, I covered the known knowns, and the known unknowns, but I didn't consider the unknown unknowns, so I can understand your ambivalance.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Well, I covered the known knowns, and the known unknowns, but I didn't consider the unknown unknowns, so I can understand your ambivalance.
    My head hurts.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    The world of being GM is not a binary system. What you do at one moment might no be what you are doing later. It is not always do this or not do this.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I don't disagree with Ryan's approach to free agency at the present moment, what reason do I have to believe that Ryan will make that big trade or free agent signing when the Twins are competitive again?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 659 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    The world of being GM is not a binary system. What you do at one moment might no be what you are doing later. It is not always do this or not do this.
    No, but many executives have a code or system for how they do things. We see that all across sports - some guys are very aggressive. Some guys very passive. Some prefer veterans, some prospects.

The point is, we've seen an awful lot of Ryan and while there may be some argument to be made that he's never been in precisely this situation (an argument I don't buy into in any way whatsoever), there is plenty of very strong supporting evidence to suggest that your "well you never know" argument isn't really accurate.

We know a lot about Ryan. We know a lot about what he looks for, how he likes to build his teams, and how he feels about contracts. The evidence isn't perfect, but it's really, really powerful. You're right that you never know and we may be in for some fantastic pleasant surprises. However, I'm not a real firm believer in the idea that you can teach an old baseball guy new tricks. Or any "old school" sports guys. I think this team has to look for some fresh perspectives and that is going to become very obvious in the next few years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    No, but many executives have a code or system for how they do things. We see that all across sports - some guys are very aggressive. Some guys very passive. Some prefer veterans, some prospects.

The point is, we've seen an awful lot of Ryan and while there may be some argument to be made that he's never been in precisely this situation (an argument I don't buy into in any way whatsoever), there is plenty of very strong supporting evidence to suggest that your "well you never know" argument isn't really accurate.

We know a lot about Ryan. We know a lot about what he looks for, how he likes to build his teams, and how he feels about contracts. The evidence isn't perfect, but it's really, really powerful. You're right that you never know and we may be in for some fantastic pleasant surprises. However, I'm not a real firm believer in the idea that you can teach an old baseball guy new tricks. Or any "old school" sports guys. I think this team has to look for some fresh perspectives and that is going to become very obvious in the next few years.
    So you think once you turn a certain age you can't learn new things? Talk about insulting a whole class of people.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast