Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 8 Reasons I To NOT Worry About Aaron Hicks And Kyle Gibson

Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good points, and I hope no one is discounting either of these two based on first year performances.

That said, how many other players struggled in their first season, and then continued to struggle simply because, for whatever reason, they just couldn't make the transition? Obviously I hope Gibson and Hicks don't end up in that category (and I suspect they won't) but we never know for sure until they show they can cut it up here.

Happily, Gibson got innings in this year, coming off surgery, and should be better next year. He may not be great -- it might be another year of getting used to higher play. Hicks was dismal when he went back to Rochester. He needs work. Maybe a winter with Carew will help, but do expect him to start next season at AAA as the Twins work on bad habits and such.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    Good points, and I hope no one is discounting either of these two based on first year performances.

That said, how many other players struggled in their first season, and then continued to struggle simply because, for whatever reason, they just couldn't make the transition? Obviously I hope Gibson and Hicks don't end up in that category (and I suspect they won't) but we never know for sure until they show they can cut it up here.
    Tons. I found quite a few guys who had horrible first seasons and horrible careers. Of course, not as many who were top 5 prospects like Hicks and Gibson.

Most who were actual prospects were pitchers - Willie Banks, Pat Mahomes, Frankie Rodriguez, and Todd Ritchie. The only real notable hitter was David McCarty.
    Last edited by Brad Swanson; 09-22-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks was "dismal" at AAA while he was hurt. He got better at the very end. I am not worried in the slightest about either one of these two.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I actually didn't think Hicks' season was a disaster at all. He showed more power than expected, he led the league in outfield assists with his cannon arm, had a fair share of web gems (and improved defensively), and wasn't much below average after April. 3 acceptable tools shown. We know he's fast and the baserunning will get better with practice too. He didn't draw enough walks either, but he's proven he can be patient and thankfully quite a bit of his strikeouts were caught looking. Better to have someone who's picky, then someone who hacks away. Overall, the main concern is will he hit for batting average? And judging from this season's reaction to Hicks, that's the most important tool. Dropping the switch hitting might be the best bet that he'll hit over .250. Ideally I'd like to get .260/.340/.450 or better from him in the future. I'm much more concerned about Gibson, since having him fail isn't an option. If Anderson continues instructing him and the rest our rotation, we have even more reason to worry. Gibson was very unlucky as it was posted prior and perhaps the issues were only minor. On both's behalf, it's really the 3rd or 4th season we'll know what we have. Unless they pull a "Hendriks" when we know sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 09-22-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I actually didn't think Hicks' season was a disaster at all. He showed more power than expected, he led the league in outfield assists with his cannon arm, had a fair share of web gems (and improved defensively), and wasn't much below average after April. 3
    Although Hicks' best asset (offensively) was his plate discipline, and after walking 11 times during that horrendous April, he only walked 13 times the rest of the year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    They both have the talent to succeed. Hopefully they will return next spring with the knowledge of what needed work, and will work to adjust their games accordingly.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 131 Times in 81 Posts
    There are valid reasons to believe that both Hicks and Gibson will both still become solid MLB'ers but there are valid reasons to believe that neither has the upside that many believed they had before the season.

I tried to find some numbers for Gibson that showed his numbers were better than his results this year but in the end he was really hittable this year. His BAPIP was pretty high (luck?) but his K%, swstr%, and contact rate (pitches swung at) were all bad/terrible. Gibson would have tied for dead last in K% (if qualified) and nearly last at contact rate (esp in pitches in the strike zone). These are not good indicators.

The hopeful part is that he will regain some movement on his pitches next year and he won't be so hittable but this year his results weren't an issue of bad luck.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Only in the past was the past like the future, so it gives me no comfort to look at past failures as evidence of future successes.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.