Thread: Twins Sign Alexander Vargas

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Sign Alexander Vargas

Twins Sign Alexander Vargas - BaseballAmerica.com

According to Ben Badler of Baseball America have signed 16-year-old RHP Alexander Vargas...

Vargas, who is from Santiago, is 6-foot-3, 190 pounds with a fastball that has touched the low-90s, along with a curveball and a changeup.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Not much information about the kid on the interwebs. Has a good pitchers frame though.

He's huge for a 16 year old. He's going to be very big by the time he reaches adulthood. Hopefully he'll be able to add velocity as he gets older, but these signings are such a crapshoot. I assume he'll spend most if not all of next season at the Twins Dominican academy, before making it too the GCL in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsbars08 View Post
    He's huge for a 16 year old. He's going to be very big by the time he reaches adulthood. Hopefully he'll be able to add velocity as he gets older, but these signings are such a crapshoot. I assume he'll spend most if not all of next season at the Twins Dominican academy, before making it too the GCL in 2015.
    If he is hitting low 90's as a 16 year old - wow!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    pretty accurate. the good prospects jump from the dsl to the gcl after one season but a larger bonus doesn't guarantee it: exhibit A is argenis silva.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Twins Sign Alexander Vargas - BaseballAmerica.com

According to Ben Badler of Baseball America have signed 16-year-old RHP Alexander Vargas...
    That's three signed
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    That's three signed
    We have signed more than 3. Those were just the two big names we signed.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I have five listed on the R&P page. I'm too lazy to check it out right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    That's why I like the strategy of signing a lot of guys in the 100K-500K range instead of going after only 1 or 2 big names. Sano was kind of an exception since he was one of the best (top 5 at least) that was available in the last decade but the Twins also signed 2 other guys that summer and both are easily in the Twins top 20.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Pos International Free Agency Service 2013 2012 2011 SLOT D.O.B. RULE 5 FA after ACQUIRED BONUS
    POOL TOTAL -> $1,958,600
    Slot 2 -> $450,400
    Slot 3 -> $304,200
    Slot 4 -> $203,300
    1B/OF Lewin Diaz 0.000 09/16/96 Dom. Rep. 2017 2020 I-FA (7/13) $1,400,000
    3B Roni Tapia 0.000 04/03/97 Dom. Rep. 2017 2020 I-FA (7/13) $550,000
    3B Ruar Verkerk 0.000 09/05/96 Netherlands 2017 2020 I-FA (7/13) ?
    C Robert Molina 0.000 Venezuela 2017 2020 I-FA (7/13) ?
    P Callan Pearce 0.000 South Africa 2017 2020 I-FA (7/13) ?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    That would be signing number 6 if I can count correctly

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I'm guessing they used their top 4 slots and can't trade slot money anymore, but are still under "cap" room, so they can sigh guys for more than 10 grand if they want to from now until next July. Surprised to see no reported Australians signed yet.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Always good news when they add talent. Let's hope these guys are good someday.
    Lighten up Francis....

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    About a month and a half ago Patrick Reusse published an article on the Twins' International signings, and if I remember correctly, there were at least 8 or 9 names of players he listed that the Twins have already signed since the International signing period began.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    We have signed more than 3. Those were just the two big names we signed.
    Perfect. Thanks for the respectful response.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 314 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm curious what the bonus amount was. Last I checked, they had spent about 3/3.1M, but finding the accurate total seems to be a bit difficult.

I'm all for throwing money at a 16 year old kid that can hit low 90s. He should be able to add some ticks to that as he matures. I think this is a very good thing and a guy to follow in the DSL or GCL next year.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 314 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    I'm guessing they used their top 4 slots and can't trade slot money anymore, but are still under "cap" room, so they can sigh guys for more than 10 grand if they want to from now until next July. Surprised to see no reported Australians signed yet.
    I don't think it works that way. The slot is just used to determine dollar value. They didn't use up a slot when they signed Diaz. They can trade away a slot as long as the dollar value of the slot is less than what they have left. I suppose they can trade it away if it's greater, but they incur penalties. Since he's already getting penalties, I wonder if Theo will trade away some of his space (or if he can).

That said, I'm curious what this amount is. I thought they still had around a million. Personally, with international scouting, I think there's some intelligence to signing a bunch of guys for 50k or something like that. Projecting 18 year olds is tough. 16 year old kids who are all still growing is even harder. We all like talking about the Sano's and Keplers of the world, but we forget that Arcia's bonus was peanuts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The slots actually mean very little. Basically they just determine how big your bonus pool is and the teams can divide up that money in any way that they choose.