Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your favorite Luke Hughes moment?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

What was your favorite Luke Hughes moment?

With the news that the Twins DFAd Luke Hughes today to make room for Jason Marquis on the 25 man roster, there is plenty of surprise. Sure, no one is completely surprised, but it's not like DFAing Hughes was the move that anyone anticipated in the "Corresponding Marquis Move" forum.

I would be shocked if Hughes is not claimed simply because of his ability to hit and hit for power against left-handed pitching.

So, with that, Hughes had several good moments with that Wins... what was your favorite?

Mine? His first major league at bat, the opposite field home run in Detroit off of Max Scherzer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Don't like the move. Twins are giving up on the guy, who has power potential. and for what? Burroughs?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Since the first day of the season I've been saying his job was in jeopardy, and I've been complaining about is defense, but I did NOT see this coming. I really do hope he manages to stay with the organization. I would like to see him come back up when the roster crunch is resolved.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    Don't like the move. Twins are giving up on the guy, who has power potential. and for what? Burroughs?
    I would not be surprised if the Twins are keeping Burroughs around because they can foresee having to platoon him and Valencia.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Hughes is very similar to Plouffe... Both have some power, but aren't very good hitters, and neither has a position they are particularly good at... They are expendible, because the minor leagues are littered with players like this...
    Last edited by gmarais66; 04-18-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I would not be surprised if the Twins are keeping Burroughs around because they can foresee having to platoon him and Valencia.
    Burroughs is in the lineup at 3rd today.

I don't like this move...Who are they going to use as a utility player? Why doesn't it make more sense to send Parmalee down so he can get regular AB's?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelzer View Post
    I don't like this move...Who are they going to use as a utility player? Why doesn't it make more sense to send Parmalee down so he can get regular AB's?
    Maybe this is precursor to another move, calling up Dozier to play short, moving Carroll to second and Casilla to the utility role.....

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Probably. Doesn't make it a good move. Burroughs? Really?

Keep guys around til trade waters get warm, then find out what you can get for them.

Payroll will be down big-time next year with Baker's 9 mill gone. Liriano get an extension? No way, more savings. Pavano and Marquis will probably get ridiculous contracts instead. And Cappy will probably get a 2-3 year deal.

ugh

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping Terry Ryan would be much smarter about supplementary roster moves than Bill Smith, but this is evidence to the contrary. 13 pitchers on the staff? Why exactly? Quantity is not better than quality, and there's not much quality there for pitching already. There are players with options, like Parmelee, who hasn't been getting into the last few games anyway and has never played at AAA, and Luke can play 1B too, as he did yesterday. Jeff Gray on the roster still? who cares if he's gone. Matt Maloney? Who cares if he's gone. Alex Burnett? There's no harm in sending him to AAA for a little while, and I'll believe Nick Blackburn doesn't go on the DL when I see it...

I do believe Hughes had a role on this team, and a greater one than Sean Burroughs, who also remains. I just find this very strange when there so many other options, including ones that don't risk anyone to another team.

But I digress. Favorite Luke Hughes moment? Home Run in first career at-bat is pretty hard to beat.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cdelzer View Post
    Maybe this is an indication that they think they'll have Parmelee in the lineup consistently one way or the other. AFter all, it's really Clete Thomas that bumped him out of the lineup on Monday, and that's not too likely to last.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    And Cappy will probably get a 2-3 year deal.

ugh
    I know you're kidding, but just to make you wince a little more, don't forget that the deal Capps signed has a team option for 2013. I'm just saying....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have been hoping Valencia has a big couple of months so some team would be willing to overpay for him. I was thinking a platoon of Burroughs/Hughes or maybe even Ploufee could be useful. I just don't see Valencia as the long term answer at 3B.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Maybe this is an indication that they think they'll have Parmelee in the lineup consistently one way or the other. AFter all, it's really Clete Thomas that bumped him out of the lineup on Monday, and that's not too likely to last.
    Clete Thomas: LH Lew Ford

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I know you're kidding, but just to make you wince a little more, don't forget that the deal Capps signed has a team option for 2013. I'm just saying....
    Honestly John, some of the moves they've made have jaded me to believe that they'll pull a couple nonsense moves this offseason with average players like Capps/Marquis/Pavano being overpaid,simply because the organization depth at the high levels is not good.

I understand that, but, don't both Parmelee and Morneau struggle against lefties, which is a perfect reason to keep Hughes?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    This stinks. Count me amongst those who believed that Hughes can be a solid player, assuming he gets more than 3 ab a week. Why not Burroughs instead of Hughes? I think we are finding out that Gardy is in love with Burroughs. Gotta have that big left handed bat to come off the bench, don't ya? As Soucheray would say, this is B. as in B., S. as in S!

Will Hughes make it through to Rochester? Very unlikely in my opinion.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    The Twins have far too many players on the fringe of their 25 man roster that are out of options. Something had to give. I'm not a big Luke Hughes fan but I wonder if they would have been better off cutting loose a reliever.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    I'm a bit surprised, too. I'd rather have him on the roster than Plouffe.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    This stinks. Count me amongst those who believed that Hughes can be a solid player, assuming he gets more than 3 ab a week. Why not Burroughs instead of Hughes? I think we are finding out that Gardy is in love with Burroughs. Gotta have that big left handed bat to come off the bench, don't ya? As Soucheray would say, this is B. as in B., S. as in S!

Will Hughes make it through to Rochester? Very unlikely in my opinion.
    Burroughs at least has some history of success at the major league level... Hughes has struggled, for the most part...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast