Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: 2013 Twins Minor League All Star Team

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    That's about right for the position players. Only difference is that I would have given 1B to Kennys Vargas. Very similar numbers with DJ Hicks (bit more power, bit less BA, OBP within 10-15 points), only Vargas got them all in Ft. Myers and is a year younger than Hicks.
    A fair point, but I think you are pointing out the fact that Vargas is the better PROSPECT, while Hicks had the better year. Either one did deserve it however.

The Twins need to get pitching bad. I think in the next couple years the Twins could have a great offensive team with Sano, Buxton and the others coming up but they really don't have any depth as far as pitching prospects go. Stewart is really the only high end pitching prospect we have, Meyer isn't to far behind but other than them its pretty thin. Berrios and Gibson could be number 4s but that doesn't help too much.

I guess if Stewart and Meyer both pan out as solid number 2s or one even becomes an elite pitcher than we could have a good roto.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 09-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGNikolic View Post
    1. Alabama IS the SEC All-Conference team essentially. 2. The Jaguars would destroy the SEC All Conference team. You are talking older, physically matured players who are playing against college kids. Wouldn't be close, I don't care how bad the pro team is. This is how it works in contact sports.. However, in baseball? The Twins playing this team would be interesting. And entertaining!
    I think you do a huge injustice to the depth of the SEC. The conference averages 8 first round picks / draft, which means there are approximately 24 future first round picks currently in the SEC, and 180 players that will be drafted into the NFL. I think that all-star team (again, pretending these players had been practicing/playing together all year like the Jags) would give the Jags a run.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsilvi View Post
    I think you do a huge injustice to the depth of the SEC. The conference averages 8 first round picks / draft, which means there are approximately 24 future first round picks currently in the SEC, and 180 players that will be drafted into the NFL. I think that all-star team (again, pretending these players had been practicing/playing together all year like the Jags) would give the Jags a run.

Look at the 2011 draft. Construct a team using SEC players. Ask yourself if they could beat a team of proven NFL players (The Panthers being the worst team that year).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I would only disagree with one statement in your entire post...that being Aaron Hicks in left field of next year's September lineup.

I am of the opinion until he proves he can hit, anywhere, his future is very much in doubt. Yes, he was pushed up to the Twins before he was ready. However, his results in AAA may have indicated he may never be ready. Other than a good rookie season in the GCL, one solid season at AA in 2012 and a great stay in the AFL, he has never hit for an acceptable average (for a top prospect that we all seem to annoint him as). Until he proves he can, I won't be including him in any future plans.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I am of the opinion until he proves he can hit, anywhere, his future is very much in doubt. Yes, he was pushed up to the Twins before he was ready. However, his results in AAA may have indicated he may never be ready. Other than a good rookie season in the GCL, one solid season at AA in 2012 and a great stay in the AFL, he has never hit for an acceptable average (for a top prospect that we all seem to annoint him as). Until he proves he can, I won't be including him in any future plans.
    Hicks has shown a history of doing very well after about a year of an adjustment period to the advanced pitching at each level. I personally think development-wise he should have been in AAA all year but the offseason trades really forced him up early.

If you are expecting him to hit .310 you won't be happy with him but I think an average around .275 with an OBP around .375 isn't outside the realm of possibilities with Hicks in a couple years if he can continue to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I had a similar thought. If this team played the big league club in a 3 game series, who would in more games?
    This has already happened back in '98 and obviously, the game would still end in a tie after the lights go out atthe Metrodome Target Field in the 9th inning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12