Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 223

Thread: Game Thread: Twins@White Sox 9/17 7:10PM

  1. #21
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    I thought you put that in there for me! Tell the truth, you'd be disappointed if I DIDN'T say something!
    I'd like to help... You are a friend and I want you to be happy... Here is some Brian Dozier information for you... Stuff to help you when you finally make your move:

    1. Brian is from Fulton Mississippi
    2. He has small town sensibilities... Fulton is population 3,882.
    3. Fulton is building a plant for Cellulosic Ethonol. Brian knows what that means for the local economy.
    4. Brian is a fan of NASCAR... He was a big Kyle Petty Fan.
    5. He wears an Elvis Costume every Halloween
    6. He loves Corn on the Cob and eats it by putting the whole cob in his mouth clamping down and pulling the cob out slowly while his teeth pull each kernel off on the way out. Before he swallows the Corn he puts an entire stick of butter in his mouth and then swallows the whole works.
    7. Brian likes to read... But he doesn't know how... He simply makes up what he wants the book to say. His favorite book is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway... Brian says its about a Panda Bear that got lost in Vancouver while searching for a better brand of bamboo.
    8. He has the days of the week sewn into his underwear... Since he can't read... He wears Wednesday on Friday.
    9. Brian likes piña Colodas and getting caught in the rain... And he laughs when his girlfriend answers the exact same personal ad that he does.
    10. Brian also like Puppies and Old People.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 09-17-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  2. #22
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Wasn't there something said that Joe (and others) were testing out some new equipment with thicker padding or some such? Thought I read that. Something that was being tested to help with the heavy dings.
    It didnt work!
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  3. #23
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    A friend just forwarded this article that argues that bunting is almost always a bad idea and that the smarter teams are bunting less. Any comments?
    I didn't read the article because I'm busy thinking up goofy stuff... But... Bunting is a good idea if you are playing for one run. However... If you are trying to win a game... Bunting is a bad idea.

    The biggest problem with bunting is... It potentially kills the crooked number. 3 4 or 5 run innings win ball games... It's much harder to get the big inning if you are giving up an out... You need string some things together. A bunt cuts the string.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  4. #24
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,608
    Like
    3,682
    Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Does Pelfrey get paid by the hour? That would explain some things.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  5. #25
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'd like to help... You are a friend and I want you to be happy... Here is some Brian Dozier information for you... Stuff to help you when you finally make your move:

    1. Brian is from Fulton Mississippi
    2. He has small town sensibilities... Fulton is population 3,882.
    3. Fulton is building a plant for Cellulosic Ethonol. Brian knows what that means for the local economy.
    4. Brian is a fan of NASCAR... He was a big Kyle Petty Fan.
    5. He wears an Elvis Costume every Halloween
    6. He loves Corn on the Cob and eats it by putting the whole cob in his mouth clamping down and pulling the cob out slowly while his teeth pull each kernel off on the way out. Before he swallows the Corn he puts an entire stick of butter in his mouth and then swallows the whole works.
    7. Brian likes to read... But he doesn't know how... He simply makes up what he wants the book to say. His favorite book is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway... Brian says its about a Panda Bear that got lost in Vancouver while searching for a better brand of bamboo.
    8. He has the days of the week sewn into his underwear... Since he can't read... He wears Wednesday on Friday.
    9. Brian likes piña Colodas and getting caught in the rain... And he laughs when his girlfriend answers the exact same personal ad that he does.
    10. Brian also like Puppies and Old People.
    Sounds like someone has already made their move....and GOT SOME!

  6. #26
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Does Pelfrey get paid by the hour? That would explain some things.
    No... But give him a couple years and he will be.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  7. #27
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I didn't read the article because I'm busy thinking up goofy stuff... But... Bunting is a good idea if you are playing for one run. However... If you are trying to win a game... Bunting is a bad idea.

    The biggest problem with bunting is... It potentially kills the crooked number. 3 4 or 5 run innings win ball games... It's much harder to get the big inning if you are giving up an out... You need string some things together. A bunt cuts the string.
    I am a big fan of bunting for hits. Otherwise, unless the pitcher is locked in against you and one run will make the difference, I'd say you're better off swinging away.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    No... But give him a couple years and he will be.
    Congrats, I laughed out loud at this one.

  9. #29
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    The biggest problem with bunting is... It potentially kills the crooked number.
    In the early innings you don't necessarily know how many runs you'll need. Bunting then seems bad in general.

    If you have your ace on the mound, maybe you have a better idea of that number, even early. Or, if you have a good OBP offense with poor slugging, maybe bunting can help you wring a few more runs out, by cutting down on the two-runner innings that don't produce anything.

    But I'm laying out extreme cases here; in the average game the early sacrifice is so far from optimal that it's hardly worth looking at anymore.

  10. #30
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Congrats, I laughed out loud at this one.
    image.jpg
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  11. #31
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    I am a big fan of bunting for hits. Otherwise, unless the pitcher is locked in against you and one run will make the difference, I'd say you're better off swinging away.
    Yes, bunting for hits is a different story, and I was expecting that to be explored more, given the title of the linked article. If you do it because you feel it lifts your overall chance of hitting safely, go for it.

  12. #32
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    In the early innings you don't necessarily know how many runs you'll need. Bunting then seems bad in general.

    If you have your ace on the mound, maybe you have a better idea of that number, even early. Or, if you have a good OBP offense with poor slugging, maybe bunting can help you wring a few more runs out, by cutting down on the two-runner innings that don't produce anything.

    But I'm laying out extreme cases here; in the average game the early sacrifice is so far from optimal that it's hardly worth looking at anymore.
    If Chief was managing... He'd be bunting all the time.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  13. #33
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Well deserved, Sir.

  14. #34
    Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Posts
    1,650
    Like
    313
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    His favorite book is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway... Brian says its about a Panda Bear that got lost in Vancouver while searching for a better brand of bamboo.
    I think Brian D. is getting his literature and pornographic films mixed up. The film with the Panda is extraordinary. I now have a much deeper respect for Panda Bears and how Bamboo is used.

  15. #35
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,832
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,427
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    It didnt work!
    I don't think he was trying it out during games ... just ... in practice? Or something? I did read something about this, though, that they were developing 'better' equipment ... a la the enhanced batting helmet.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Posts
    723
    Like
    121
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'd like to help... You are a friend and I want you to be happy... Here is some Brian Dozier information for you... Stuff to help you when you finally make your move:

    1. Brian is from Fulton Mississippi
    2. He has small town sensibilities... Fulton is population 3,882.
    3. Fulton is building a plant for Cellulosic Ethonol. Brian knows what that means for the local economy.
    4. Brian is a fan of NASCAR... He was a big Kyle Petty Fan.
    5. He wears an Elvis Costume every Halloween
    6. He loves Corn on the Cob and eats it by putting the whole cob in his mouth clamping down and pulling the cob out slowly while his teeth pull each kernel off on the way out. Before he swallows the Corn he puts an entire stick of butter in his mouth and then swallows the whole works.
    7. Brian likes to read... But he doesn't know how... He simply makes up what he wants the book to say. His favorite book is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway... Brian says its about a Panda Bear that got lost in Vancouver while searching for a better brand of bamboo.
    8. He has the days of the week sewn into his underwear... Since he can't read... He wears Wednesday on Friday.
    9. Brian likes piña Colodas and getting caught in the rain... And he laughs when his girlfriend answers the exact same personal ad that he does.
    10. Brian also like Puppies and Old People.
    Seriously, do you have any idea how homoerotic #6 sounds?

  17. #37
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Well deserved, Sir.
    image.jpg
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  18. #38
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Seriously, do you have any idea how homoerotic #6 sounds?
    Which Part... Corn... Butter?
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  19. #39
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,089
    Like
    1,822
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    If Chief was managing... He'd be bunting all the time.
    Them thar fightin' words.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  20. #40
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,608
    Like
    3,682
    Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Which Part... Corn... Butter?
    Yes.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.