Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pohlad "Willing to spend any amount of money on a current year contract"

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts

Pohlad "Willing to spend any amount of money on a current year contract"

Per mlbtr: Seems to go against folks who say "The Twins won't spend any more money, Pohlad is cheap etc."
    He says he wants some 1-2-3-4 year contracts in free agency this year and isn't afraid to spend, and like it or not he is spot on with the "Avoiding 7-8 year contracts"

Twins owner Jim Pohlad said after the team's 18-3 loss to Oakland earlier this week that the loss team's play is "embarrassing," and he will afford GM Terry Ryan with financial resources to make changes via free agency, according to Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "We made a couple trades last year," said Pohlad. "I'm not sure that we can rely on that this year. So if we're going to do something, it's going to have to be that way (free agency)." Pohlad said he's willing to spend "any amount of money on the current year" but doesn't want to commit himself to seven- or eight-year mega contracts for free agents. He did specifically say that he wouldn't rule out two-, three- and four-year free agent contracts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm more of a show me don't tell me kind of guy. We've been told all sorts of things in the past that didn't come to fruition. If they follow through, that will be great.
    Just remember: You put the lime IN the coconut. Only THEN, can you drink it all up.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Well, yeah, of course he will say that. Time to start revving the PR for retaining season ticket holders.

Whether it comes true is another matter entirely.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would hope they'd make an exception on the years for a Tanaka or Abreau type contract.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    I think they have to start spending. The attendance is getting really bad.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Pelfrey 8 yrs. Make it happen!

I think all indications will continue to point towards the twins going hard after Tanaka and Abreu. they have the financials. 2015/2016 years we are aiming to contend in. Both the player I noted above are players that are young and fit what we need. They have to go get it now.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    " Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

Herb Brooks 1980

I think Tanaka can go with a post fee of 38mil. Contract of 6yr/45.
    Abreu can get sealed with 6yr/63mil.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I'm willing to believe that, thing is, most really good players don't want a short term deal, they want that long term deal that protects them from injury and decrease in performance. With relatively short term deals all you are going to get in guys who can't do any better. They still could be quality players like Orlando Hudson or Josh Willingham but they will come with their own shares of warts as well.

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Easy to say. Hard to do

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cc-twinsball View Post
    I think all indications will continue to point towards the twins going hard after Tanaka and Abreu. they have the financials. 2015/2016 years we are aiming to contend in. Both the player I noted above are players that are young and fit what we need. They have to go get it now.
    Both? I highly doubt it. Maybe 1, but history says they won't go hard after either. I hope I'm wrong.

Highly doubt both. But they both fit what we need. Just need to take a shot. Attendance would be up, it'd create a buzz. Abreu is what some scouts say to be the best hitter to come out of Cuba. That's sayin alot. Tanaka, is a minimum no.3 starter. With upside to be a no. 1. Ill dish out that kind of money to both. We have it to.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,833 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Both? I highly doubt it. Maybe 1, but history says they won't go hard after either. I hope I'm wrong.
    They might go after both, and yeah, I want to hope for one, but in the end, I think they will get 'outbid' for both. At least that will be the story line. But ... we'll see.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cc-twinsball View Post
    Highly doubt both. But they both fit what we need. Just need to take a shot. Attendance would be up, it'd create a buzz. Abreu is what some scouts say to be the best hitter to come out of Cuba. That's sayin alot. Tanaka, is a minimum no.3 starter. With upside to be a no. 1. Ill dish out that kind of money to both. We have it to.
    I may be wrong but I don't believe Abreu is a target of the Twins. I haven't seen his name linked with ours. I think Doogie Wolfson tweeted we thought he was overrated. Looks like the Giants are going all out. Once again, I am only guessing.

I just feel like it might be a different story this offseason. We didn't spend last year with all the money coming off the books. Now there are players on the market with profiles that fit our holes. Were 3 years from contention. Lets just get it done

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts
    Pohlad "Willing to spend any amount of money on a current year contract"
    Laugh track - YouTube

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    " Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

Herb Brooks 1980
    "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on me again."

George W Bush

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    "I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'"
    GWB
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Forbes said on one of their recent valuations that the average revenue per fan for the Twins is $50. If attendance continues at 25000 per game that would lose 44 million in revenue. If ratings drops because the Twins are bad, there goes more revenue as the Pohlads own the radio station. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast