Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Terry Ryan Discusses Ron Gardenhire's Future

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Terry Ryan Discusses Ron Gardenhire's Future

I call unfair URL usage. Five yard SEO penalty.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grow up, JON.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Much ado.

He is going to be back. I guarantee it. I would have fired him last offseason, but I am not Terry Ryan.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    If he were going to be back, why wait to say so? Waiting to say what's what is just delaying the inevitable, imo.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My favorite quote: ' Regardless of ERA and those types of things, even Correia and Pelfrey, they’ve done what you might want to expect.”'

yeah, those pesky ERAs and other things that evaluate how a pitcher does...if it wasn't for them, people would say they did great. Apprently the scouts told him they've been better than their numbers suggest :-)

And yes, besides allowing a boatload of inherited runs, the bullpen has been decent.

My favorite line: 'Ryan suggested that injuries to key players played a substantial role in the Twins’ third consecutive losing season '

SUBSTANTIAL role? Blaming this season on injuries is just funny...no team goes without injuries...no team should fold because a guy or two misses some time. This kind of losing is what happens when you put this kind of rotation together backed up by too many guys that either aren't ready for the show or never will be ready for the show.

He focuses on the offensive issues and kind of sidesteps the rotation issues (besides sort of patting himself on the back for the, um, er, success of Correia and Pelfrey)which are even worse and which HE SAID he'd do everything possible to make substantially better.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 09-12-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Such a depressingly sad series of quotes.

I would be pretty pissed off if I were Gardy if Ryan fires him. Look at the **** he has had to work with the past 3 years because of Smith/Ryan. If Ryan lets him go just before the top talent comes up, I think it would be a disservice to him. Struggle through 3 talentless teams, I think Gardy gets 1 or 2 years with good players. If he can't get back to the playoffs, then let him go but at least give him a decent rotation and more than 4 regulars in the everyday line up to work with.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i believe TR brings Gardy back. Why? Because TR believes no one could win with the roster that he himself put together. But it will be a 1 year deal with team option for year 2

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyriolo View Post
    i believe TR brings Gardy back. Why? Because TR believes no one could win with the roster that he himself put together. But it will be a 1 year deal with team option for year 2
    Maybe TR shouldn't bring himself back then, since he wants to shoulder all the blame.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you Puck but not my call

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Not sure why its controversial to fire an underperforming manager.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Maybe TR shouldn't bring himself back then, since he wants to shoulder all the blame.
    This is a good statement and question. TR has done well with the minor leagues but refuses to spend any kind of money in FA. How long does he get a pass for not making the MLB club better, we saw what another GM could do and we didn't like that. Is this a stretch of years were we as fans have to be patient until the minor league prospect come up and then judge who stays or goes? Lots and lots of question about this team, managers, and in the FO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Not sure why its controversial to fire an underperforming manager.
    Maybe he is not underperforming. With the roster he has, maybe this is all he can get out of it. If he had something that resembled a MLB starting rotation, maybe he would be back in the Playoffs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcrose3636 View Post
    Maybe he is not underperforming. With the roster he has, maybe this is all he can get out of it. If he had something that resembled a MLB starting rotation, maybe he would be back in the Playoffs.
    So you're saying if he had better players he'd manage better?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Such a depressingly sad series of quotes.
    I agree. It comes across as pathetic excuse making and just not owning up. I'm sure it's because he can't just come out and say he made huge mistakes, but anyone should be able to read between the lines here -- that or he comes across as pretty mule-headed about the real reasons the Twins are terrible.

I'd like to see how the Twins actually rank up when looking at injuries. I mean, relatively recent injuries (like those to Deduno and Mauer) occurred after the wheels had come off. The team has been incredibly healthy at almost every spot, especially when compared to two years ago. Willingham is the only exception, and he'll still end up with 500 PAs, not to mention he's not a 10 win guy.

The bottom line is that there went into this season aging players who looked older this, hopes at 3B and RF that missed, a rookie CF who was not at all prepared, a 1B who was a shell of his former self, and a starting staff that was a lottery ticket where the max win was $10.

The disturbing thing is that if he's replaced it will just be someone in the gardenhire mold. I wouldnt be a bit sueprised if it was ullger. In that case they'd be better off sticking with gardy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Maybe Gardenhire wants out?

Change is inevitable. Ryan is correct in pointing-out that the talent level is such that any manager would struggle--but let's not be deceived that Gardenhire was a helpless pawn with regard to the roster. The pitching philosophy, whatever catchwords you prefer, was a part of Gardenhire's input and was most definitely enforced to the detriment of any pitcher who disagreed. Twins' pitchers have a poor K/game ratio--and suffer because of it. But (at least this year) the Twins' hitters have an equally poor K/game ratio--and suffer just as much. Any baseball manager (field or general) should see these deficiencies and seek to correct them--but I haven't heard a peep from either Ryan or Gardenhire! They can all they want about getting ahead in the count and getting ground-balls, but if there is darn little threat of being struck-out the opponents just cherry-pick the pitches. Inversely the hitters strike-out so often that scoring is made really difficult--the OBP of a K is less than .01!

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look, I love Gardy, I think he's a great coach, but he needs to go. I think Rick Anderson and TR's theory of "let's strike NOBODY out!" has really wrecked the rotation. Instead of signing pitchers who have a little risk and a chance to be good, we signed the most conservative non-strikeout pitchers money could buy. Look, I'd much rather can TR than Gardy. But Anderson has to go, and if Gardy will leave with him, so be it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gardenhire brings in a pitcher, pitcher gives up a bunch of runs. Gardenhire brings in a new position player, player hits under .240.

Solution? Fire Gardenhire. Heck, all the next manager needs to do is bring in players that play better. What could be simpler than that?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast