Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: 2013 Twins Minor League Hitter of the Year

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 2013 Twins Minor League Hitter of the Year

This is picking nits, but the numbers you cite show that Sano's K rate got worse this season, not better.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whosafraidofluigirussolo View Post
    This is picking nits, but the numbers you cite show that Sano's K rate got worse this season, not better.
    You are correct... 26% to 27% I actually mean "slight increase" rather than "slight improvement."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Nice article. I'd move Walker up to 3-4, but otherwise I'd say you nailed it.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Great problem to have.....but for this year, I agree, Sano was the better hitter, while Buxton was the better overall player. So nice to have these two prospects.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am just curious. Why does Adam Walker not get more love? It seems like anytime somebody complements him there is always a BUT and that nobody really holds much hope for his ML career

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Agreed - On all points

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I am just curious. Why does Adam Walker not get more love? It seems like anytime somebody complements him there is always a BUT and that nobody really holds much hope for his ML career
    I tried to be fair... Strikeouts and defense are the "BUTS" for Sano. Strikeouts and lack of walks are the "BUTS" for Walker. I don't know if there is a "BUT" for Buxton at this point. None of these guys are finished products, and they'll continue to work on the things they're good at and try to get better at the things they're not.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    The Trout versus Cabrera MVP debate is interesting playing out in the media. After watching the Twins recent play it is almost unfathomable that I could be watching the equivalent of Trout and Cabrera play for the Twins as soon as next season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    I personally really like Daltin Hicks as a prospect. He will always be a first baseman, but as his body continues to develop those doubles will start leaving the park. He has a great swing, although it can get long and loopy, he has great hands. If he gets rolling at AA next year he could be pushing for an everyday job at 1B in 2015.

I see Adam Walker as a Josh Willingham clone. He has lots of power and will eventually be a MLB player. Will likely hit .240-.260 with around 30 HR's in his peak seasons and be an average fielder.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    I see Adam Walker as a Josh Willingham clone. He has lots of power and will eventually be a MLB player. Will likely hit .240-.260 with around 30 HR's in his peak seasons and be an average fielder.
    I like those numbers, but the difference is that Willingham always posted an IsoD (Isolated Discipline, OBP-BA) over .100, and Walker isn't close to that yet. If he can get his IsoD up to the .060 range, he'll be a decent big leaguer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I tried to be fair... Strikeouts and defense are the "BUTS" for Sano. Strikeouts and lack of walks are the "BUTS" for Walker.
    Adam Brett Walker has things to work on, but I challenge you to find many other MiLB or MLB hitters with 25+ HRs and 100+ RBI and a SLG% over .520 and an OPS% over .840, who have a better K rate (20.8%). I think his K Rate is quite good considering he is a power hitter. And he has shown the ability to drop the K rate nearly 10% over the course of a year without giving up his power productivity. I didn't say there aren't players out there who haven't done it, but there are not many who hold that distinction.

He needs to Walk more, but as long as his OPS is still amongst the top in his league each year, I'll favor the positives. As he compares to our own organization and other Top prospects in MiLB.
    Colabello 32% K Rate
    Sano 27% K Rate
    Springer 24% K Rate
    Baez 28% K Rate

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Walker is a nice prospect but that OBP is a major red flag.

Just salivating over the possibilities after reading the hitters we have in the system. As a long-time Cabrera watcher, anything comparable to the Tigers 3B would be great for the Twins. So if Sano starts putting together more disciplined at-bats, and lets his power come out naturally, we are looking at one hellacious offensive talent waiting to step on Target Field. Add Buxton and Walker and Rosario and Vargas (my personal darkhouse for greatness) and we have the making of a juggernaut. I'm digging all of this.

Initially, those were my sentiments...then I reread article (which was outstanding) and said--if Walker is 3 or 4 who do you bump up...and I couldn't say he is better than Pinto (or Rosario or Hicks)...nice problem to have.

So Seth: do you package a couple of these prospects in a big deal to try to get a top MLB pitcher like Price??? Is this the right thread to raise the question??

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Initially, those were my sentiments...then I reread article (which was outstanding) and said--if Walker is 3 or 4 who do you bump up...and I couldn't say he is better than Pinto (or Rosario or Hicks)...nice problem to have.

So Seth: do you package a couple of these prospects in a big deal to try to get a top MLB pitcher like Price??? Is this the right thread to raise the question??
    May not be here, but would be a fun talker in its own thread... for sure.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Walker is a nice prospect but that OBP is a major red flag.
    Agreed. Reading the minor league reports during the spring and summer, Walker's name was always popping up and I thought he was quite underrated. But when you take a closer look at that Low A OBP it takes the wind out of your sails. A power hitter with a .278 average you would expect to see a very high OBP.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Agreed. Reading the minor league reports during the spring and summer, Walker's name was always popping up and I thought he was quite underrated. But when you take a closer look at that Low A OBP it takes the wind out of your sails. A power hitter with a .278 average you would expect to see a very high OBP.
    I agree that the OBP could be better. I'm just saying it is not due to high strikeout rate like all the post generally suggest. He is hitting into outs more so than other power hitters with higher OBP. He at least has bettered his contact rate from original perceptions. Now he just has to square those hits up more, which is more exciting than the opposite thought of him striking out all the time. 20.8% K Rate. I again say - Who with 25+ HRs has a better one in MiLB?

I say Pinto. He was put on the 40 man roster because of his bat. He has moved from AA to the majors this season and is currently batting .467 for Minnesota.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BTW: Several Twins were drafted in the Dominican Winter Draft. Interestingly, Sano was not drafted as highly as other prospects in the Twins system. Polanco was drafted third overall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast