Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Baker got TJ surgery

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries

Scott Baker got TJ surgery

Was anyone else caught offgaurd watching the game on FSN. They announced during the game that doctors made a last minute decision to do TJ surgery on Scott Baker. This will certainly prolong the recovery effort.

Wow, this caught me by surprise as well. I wonder if he's played his last game in a Twins uniform. That 9 million dollar option looks even bigger now...

Yeah, that was bizarre. I checked around, but I didn't see it posted online anywhere.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If there was a chance the Twins were gonna excercise the option its gone now. I could see the Twins offering him and incentive filled contract with a base of around $500K next year. Perhaps a club option for 2014.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    bye bye baker.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Was anyone else caught offgaurd...doctors made a last minute decision to do TJ surgery on Scott Baker.
    From what I know this is typical of joint surgery. It's discussed beforehand and determined if the doctor should fix whatever needs fixing once he exposes the area and can see the damage. Obviously he had the go-ahead.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Apparently something similar happened to Russ Ortiz back in 2008. The article on the Strib about it implied that the decision was made after surgery had already begun, after they saw the elbow on the inside. I'm assuming Baker consented to the surgery if the doc thought it necesary, otherwise there's gonna be a big 'ol lawsuit

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Below is an excerpt from the Twins April 6 Prognosis. Everyone can draw their own conclusion.

But the good news is that, according to the Twins, there doesn't appear to be enough structural damage to keep Baker out for a long time, and if Altchek feels the same, the righthander could resume pitching again soon

reported by Joe Christensen
    Last edited by Highabove; 04-17-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Below is an excerpt from the Twins April 6 Prognosis. Everyone can draw their own conclusion.

But the good news is that, according to the Twins, there doesn't appear to be enough structural damage to keep Baker out for a long time, and if Altchek feels the same, the righthander could resume pitching again soon

reported by Joe Christensen
    disgusting.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    At this point, if you're a player, would you believe a single thing the Twins medical staff told you?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Nope, and I'd not come here to pitch either.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think I'd like to hear a little more detail about what actually happened with the surgery before I call the Twins medical staff liars

Nobody is a liar. Twins and medical professionals on twitter saying sometimes MRI can't show everything. Could only know when went under the knife.

Its obvious that the Twins staff missed diagnosed Baker's injury.

Below is the paste of the April 6 report

'An MRI exam on Scott Baker's troublesome elbow revealed the Twins right-hander has a mild flexor strain similar to the injury that scratched him from a start last July, according to general manager Terry Ryan.'

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Its obvious that the Twins staff missed diagnosed Baker's injury.

Below is the paste of the April 6 report

'An MRI exam on Scott Baker's troublesome elbow revealed the Twins right-hander has a mild flexor strain similar to the injury that scratched him from a start last July, according to general manager Terry Ryan.'
    According to Terry Ryan? Shouldn't it be according to someone with a medical degree. He's smart and all but interpreting MRI results should be handled by someone trained to do so. Like the Brewers Medical Staff.

The Medical staff reports their findings to Terry Ryan. He is the spokesman.
    Last edited by Highabove; 04-17-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    lol... Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that TR was administering the exam and interpreting the results and reporting to the public.

Im stumped now because I thought I just solved the Twins Medical problems right there. Back to the drawing board.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lots of doctors on this site. Good to know.

TR says they prepped Baker for the possibility of TjS. It wasn't a surprise. Not a misdiagnosis. People just like to complain.

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneelb4zerg View Post
    TR says they prepped Baker for the possibility of TjS. It wasn't a surprise. Not a misdiagnosis. People just like to complain.
    A few days before Baker's "second opinion" Ryan was on KFAN basically calling out Baker, saying there was nothing wrong with him. Similar quotes in the papers.

There seems to be a continuing problem with the Twins medical staff, and I'm not basing my opinion on an isolated incident.

People just like to make excuses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast