Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The team's next manager

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Mauer is injured with something that has no timetable for return nor treatment plan. To take that story where you did is an interesting way to read a story.
    I'm not sure how to read it.

True, the concussion is a critical fact but don't overlook that Mauer and Gardenhire have an unflattering years-long history of back and forth bickering about whether Gardenhire was going to write Joe into the lineup on any particular day.

A minor story, but I do think it's news that the GM and manager told the media that the team's mild-mannered star player was so irritable that he was excused from the park -- sure does violate the "keep it in the locker room" code.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I actually think Ryan will look for an excuse to extend Gardenhire. There hasn't been any point in the season the Twins have played well enough that Ryan could justify going out and offering an extension based on current performance. However, I think he's painted himself into a corner based on past comments implying the failure isn't Gardy's fault.

The Twins have won two in a row, I wouldn't be surprised if they win a few more using these young guys, if Ryan uses that as justification to offer an extension before the season ends.

TR doesn't need to fabricate excuses, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to extend Gardy. If they choose to go in another direction, so be it. But let's be honest about the high quality of manager we have in place right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I don't like it, but I agree. That would be such a classicly passive way to dismiss Gardy, it does sound like it's right in the organization's wheelhouse.

Though in my post I said "if" not "when" Gardy is replaced. Though I don't necissarily agree with it, I still think the adds are Gardy gets an extension.
    I stopped being a Gardy supporter towards the end of the 2007 season, though I won't slam him just to slam him and I will give him his due when I think it's warranted. I would like to see someone new...but only if that someone new came from completely outside the organization. I don't see that happening.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post

Scott Ulger - your next manager of the MN twins...just typing this makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up....
    And reading it does worse for me. Blecht.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

Liked 307 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    And reading it does worse for me. Blecht.
    The Ullger part or the neck hair part?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
    I would think the "doing the same thing over and over and...." would come into play at some point. Can you really sell what we have seen to season ticket buyers anymore? Can you get fans excited sending out the same cast of characters (manager and coaches) again next year? Not sure dumping a few coaches again this year will cut it.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I never even considered that Ulger would be considered for the spot. But now that I see it here I am convinced this is the way Ryan would want to go.

Scott Ulger - your next manager of the MN twins.....
    That was mean. I used to enjoy your posts, clutterheart.

You're dead to me now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I'm not sure how to read it.

True, the concussion is a critical fact but don't overlook that Mauer and Gardenhire have an unflattering years-long history of back and forth bickering about whether Gardenhire was going to write Joe into the lineup on any particular day.

A minor story, but I do think it's news that the GM and manager told the media that the team's mild-mannered star player was so irritable that he was excused from the park -- sure does violate the "keep it in the locker room" code.
    I am sure that Joe Mauer is really happy that he can't play. I am sure that with symptoms, which he has or otherwise he would be cleared to play, he is a real joy to be around. I bet he even really likes not knowing what the heck is going to happen. Especially after he has seen the career of Morneau post concussion. It has been about three weeks and symptoms come back. I am sure he likes that. The powers that be should have said that Mauer wasn't feeling well. They said irritable. HIPPA violation, fine them.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Mike Maddux. This franchise needs someone, anyone, from outside the organization to come in. As someone who used to live in Dallas and follows the Rangers as a side team the things Maddux has done for the pitching there is amazing. Built a whole new philosophy. With our young arms coming up we need someone who has proven to be able to harness their talent.

As I say this I'm guessing if Gardy isn't back, which I would bet he will be, the front office most likely will bring someone from within the organization.
    100% agree with this. I live down here in Arlington and have seen Maddux make a huge impact with the Rangers pitching staff since he became pitching coach. Especially given the fact that it looks like we have a good stable of hitters coming up but pitching is where we will need the most impact.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post

Check out the story today in the Pioneer Press about Mauer getting "irritable" whenever Gardenhire comes to talk to him. Link

I checked the story. It looked to me like the thing that Mauer is irritated about is constant questions about his health. I didn't see anything here which indicated a greater schism between manager and star player, which is how the comment here could have been interpreted.

Frankly, while I by no means am intending to rag on Mauer, I think this says more about him than about Gardenhire. He's going to need to understand (and I suspect he actually does) that given his salary and his prominence on the field and in the clubhouse his recovery is going to be under a public microscope. Sucks, but that's where it is.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
    I read this story too, and what I got out of it was that irritability in and of itself is a symptom of concussions:

" 'Irritable' is one of the descriptions many times you will hear (associated with) concussion symptoms," Ryan said. "He got here, went through some of the paces, didn't have the response he was hoping (for), and we have to be able to address that."
    In other words, people recovering from brain injury often don't act like themselves, which manifests in irritability (alluded to in the article), which is very out of character for Joe Mauer (also alluded to in the article), and team brass is picking up on these signals as a sign that he isn't ready to come back (also alluded to in the article).

It has nothing to do with Gardenhire, it honestly has very little to do with non-brain-injured Joe Mauer, but it has everything to do with concussion symptoms playing havoc with the concussion victim's mood.

I dont think TR is off the hook either. There are no other franchises that would go through 3 consecutive 90 loss seasons while staring a 4th one next season right in the eye and let the GM and manager stand.

Its time for the Pohlad's and St. Peter to show the fan base they are interested in something beside making money on the back of the public largesse. You got your stadium now do the fans a solid and show us that your serious about winning. Find some new blood.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedog View Post
    100% agree with this. I live down here in Arlington and have seen Maddux make a huge impact with the Rangers pitching staff since he became pitching coach. Especially given the fact that it looks like we have a good stable of hitters coming up but pitching is where we will need the most impact.
    This would be interesting. I like it. I am not a gardy hater but I support shaking things up. I wish there was some occasional new blood. Why not hire from outside? Even if it was not the head coach then how about some of the other coaches?

Side question/request: somebody please explain why people even mention Molitor. He has barely coached. He is not currently coaching. IMO if he really wanted the job or any head coaching job he would follow the normal path to get one. Because he is hometown and was a great player are not a legit reasons to consider him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedog View Post
    Ron Washington used to play for the Twins so even though it is very small there is some connection. Kind of.... Ok, not really, but I love Maddux. Perfect fit.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    There's no doubt in my mind that if Gardy were to go, that Gene Glynn would be the next manager. The Twins aren't going to go outside of the organization, that's just not the way they do things (although one could argue they went outside the organization to bring him here in 2012). Rochester was 53-91 in 2011 under Nieto and improved to 72-72 in '12 and 77-67 this year.

My guess is they tell Gardy that he can stay, but Andy would need to go, so Gardy opts not to return.
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I read this story too, and what I got out of it was that irritability in and of itself is a symptom of concussions:

In other words, people recovering from brain injury often don't act like themselves, which manifests in irritability (alluded to in the article), which is very out of character for Joe Mauer (also alluded to in the article), and team brass is picking up on these signals as a sign that he isn't ready to come back (also alluded to in the article).

It has nothing to do with Gardenhire, it honestly has very little to do with non-brain-injured Joe Mauer, but it has everything to do with concussion symptoms playing havoc with the concussion victim's mood.
    People who listen regularly to the radio broadcasts of games and the complementary radio programming will have heard some really petty back-and-forths between Mauer and Gardy about why or why not Mauer was in the lineup after his Bilateral leg weakness. Mauer saying he was sore, Gardy giving him day off, Mauer coming back and saying yeah he was sore but still wanted to play, Gardy saying he let's Joe tell him what to do, etc.

So when I read the "irritability" story, that whole backstory came to mind.

Maybe concussion symptoms but hard for me to take Terry Ryan at face value after what he said about the Scott Baker injury. Also what an earlier poster in this thread said about having two young newborns and lack of sleep could make a guy irritable

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Penz View Post
    Side question/request: somebody please explain why people even mention Molitor. He has barely coached. He is not currently coaching. IMO if he really wanted the job or any head coaching job he would follow the normal path to get one. Because he is hometown and was a great player are not a legit reasons to consider him.
    Larry Dierker came directly from the broadcast booth to lead the Astros so having no coaching experience is not unheard of... and I think there's still Molitor love left over from 2001-2002 when TK stepped down and Molitor and Gardenhire were considered to be the front runners.

Also, Sid Hartman -- leave it to Sid -- made a pretty blunt statement about a month ago that Dave St. Peter wants Molitor to manage (I'm sure that eased the tension in the front office).

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I realize he's probably not the best or most deserving person for the job but if they are going to promote from within, I'd kind of like to see how Mientkewicz would do.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    The Twins made a big deal about Jim Thome's 600th HR--and he spent very little of his career at Minnesota nor was he "home-grown" ala` Molitor and Winfield for their fetes. My question is why aren't the Twins making a big deal about Gardenhire's 1000th win? My guess is that he is "on the outs" with the FO [those above Ryan]. I combine that with Gardenhire selling his MN home and conclude--he's gone after this September.

Liked 307 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I realize he's probably not the best or most deserving person for the job but if they are going to promote from within, I'd kind of like to see how Mientkewicz would do.
    We know he's still willing to mix it up if there's a bench-clearing brawl...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast