Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The team's next manager

The team's next manager

With a 3rd consecutive 90 loss season upon us I have been thinking about who would inevitably succeed Gardenhire as the next manager of the franchise. Gardy has led the Twins to six division titles through the end of the Metrodome era and into a new age for the team at Target Field. He has undoubtedly been a great leader but his time has come.

Target Field was the supposed beginning of a new era of Twins baseball in terms of financial and on the field competitiveness. We need a manager that can capitalize on these underutilized new advantages and raise the expectations of this franchise and state. I believe that Joe Maddon is that man. If we want to be considered a serious perennial contender we need to make management and staff moves that reflect that ambition.

Joe Maddon would develop the young talent in this system and have the credibility to ensure that FAs wouldn't slip from our grasps. He has topped out in Tampa in terms of fan and regional support. If he can win an AL Pennant and two AL East titles with the Rays think of what he could do with a legitimate mid to upper tier market club such as the Twins, especially one with such a promising and young core of talent quickly rising through the ranks. You can only butt heads with the two headed in division Yankee/Red Sox monster for so long.

I know he signed a contract extension last year, but I am convinced that if we ponied up good money, $4-4.5mil a year, we could pry him from Tampa. I know he's said he loves it there blah blah blah, but money talks and there is definite opportunity here to create a formidable player in the American League if the right manager showed up.

I'll hang up and listen.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    I would welcome that, but its a long shot as you probably agree. I think Molitor has a chance or Glynn. Anyway, Gardenhire will be back. Lets face it the Twins wont let him go.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maddon would be awesome, but I cannot see the Rays letting him out of his contract.

At least if I were part of Rays ownership, I sure wouldn't let him go!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Joe Maddon and Terry Ryan's three ring binder will not play nice with each other. In order to have one (or one like him), Terry Ryan and his binder has to go...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not saying Gardenhire is gone, but wouldn't it appear as though Terry Steinbach is next in line?

Down the road it may be Dougie or Jake.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    How about Mike Redmond? I think he has done a very good job in Miami. He is young for a manager but has big league experience and ties to the Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless the Twins fold up the final 2 weeks, Gardy will be back. Might also expect Glen Gwynn to be in the mix(do not know if I spelled that correctly)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is Gene Glynn of Waseca, MN donchaknow! If they dump Gardy, I hope the Twins go outside the organization totally. If ever an organization needed to be opened up wider it is the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would love to see mike scocia in the twins dugout. I know he is signed thru 2018, but rumor has it he could be on the hot seat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Joe Maddon and Terry Ryan's three ring binder will not play nice with each other. In order to have one (or one like him), Terry Ryan and his binder has to go...
    Yes, Ryan and Maddon do not fit. Maddon is new school baseball, Ryan is staunchly old school. If you want Maddon, it's best to pry away Andrew Freidman, the Rays GM, first. He actually only goes year-to-year with his contract so he is fair game.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    The Interviews would be small. I'd guess only Glynn, Molitor, and Ullger would get interviews. Lip service and maybe a phone would be made regarding Redmond and another big name like Ozzie Guillen. But the Twins would have to trade for Redmond given his three year contract, and that's a long shot.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,833 Times in 1,073 Posts
    I would hope they would go outside the organization as well, but that never seems to be what they do. And personally, I hope they do NOT choose Molitor. He's never managed, not even in the minors. But this is all moot until Gardy is gone.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Former catchers make pretty good managers. Steiny?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 200 Times in 121 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Charlie Manuel was fired by the Phillies and used to play for the Twins. Just throwing another name out there if Gardenhire were to go, but I'm not sure if he is the type of manager the Twins need.
    Last edited by Tibs; 09-11-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    In house, I would say Molitor, Steinbach, and Glenn are candidates. I hope not Ullger.

Mike Maddux? Ryne Sandburg? Alan Trammel? Jim Hickey? Curt Young? Rick Peterson? I am not sure what these guys contracts currently are but they would be guys I would be interested in if they went out of the organization.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Gardy is gone. He'd have gotten an extension if they wanted him back. He has not been extended. I want a guy who work well with rookies. Maddon is a great idea, but he's under contract, so I don't think it happens.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I think Gardy is gone. He'd have gotten an extension if they wanted him back. He has not been extended. I want a guy who work well with rookies. Maddon is a great idea, but he's under contract, so I don't think it happens.
    I actually think Ryan will look for an excuse to extend Gardenhire. There hasn't been any point in the season the Twins have played well enough that Ryan could justify going out and offering an extension based on current performance. However, I think he's painted himself into a corner based on past comments implying the failure isn't Gardy's fault.

The Twins have won two in a row, I wouldn't be surprised if they win a few more using these young guys, if Ryan uses that as justification to offer an extension before the season ends.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 09-11-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Terry Ryans office tells it all.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I actually think Ryan will look for an excuse to extend Gardenhire. There hasn't been any point in the season the Twins have played well enough that Ryan could ustify going out and offer an extension based on current performance. However, I think he's painted himself into a corner based on past comments implying the failure isn't Gardy's fault.
    This is my thought as well. I was somewhat surprised to read an interview with Jim Pohlad a few weeks ago where he predicated some comment with a casual "obviously we're bringing Ryan back next year." As you say, given the ownership Ryan has taken for the losses (at least publicly), I think they would have a hard time not bringing Gardy back another year at least.

edit: here is the exact quote from Sid's interview:

Meanwhile, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire is without a contract after this year. Pohlad said Gardenhire’s status will be evaluated after the season.

Is there any reason he won’t be back?

“Well, that’s Terry’s decision, but he’ll consult with all of us,” said Pohlad, who added that nothing has been decided.
    Hartman: Pohlad expects better times ahead for Twins | Star Tribune
    Last edited by Willihammer; 09-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganTwins View Post
    Anyway, Gardenhire will be back. Lets face it the Twins wont let him go.
    I'm not so sure. Last offseason there was quite a bit of reshuffling on the staff. This is not a team that has played well fundamentally and only lost because of the lack of talent. This team has had plenty of breakdowns and failures that really fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff, especially the one at the top. I think Ryan's public comments are diplomatic because the season is still going on, but I think Gardy is gone.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast