Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: 2013 Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher of the Year

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 734 Times in 453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I think the telling part is that by the Twins telling Jeff Smith they want him to split time...tells us the Twins are starting to think about their options. As they look to put their best nine on the field everyday next year, at some point that is going to include both Dozier and Rosario.
    Given the lack of anything decent in the SS pipeline, I'd rather move Dozier back to SS if his bat is for real. I realize there will be a drop in defense, but the kid has posted an .800 OPS for several months now. If it's no fluke, it would make him a top 5 SS.

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know, am forgetting some but who were the last few Twins MiL starters of the year ?
    Anthony Swarzak, David Bromberg, Kyle Gibson, BJ Hermsen (what happened to him this year?) Duensing ?? No wonder the Twins rotation is in tatters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Given the lack of anything decent in the SS pipeline, I'd rather move Dozier back to SS if his bat is for real. I realize there will be a drop in defense, but the kid has posted an .800 OPS for several months now. If it's no fluke, it would make him a top 5 SS.
    He's already a top 5 2B. Part of me doesn't want to mess with that success.
    At the same time, Dozier SS and Rosario 2B is almost certainly much better than Floriman SS and Dozier 2B, so I'm a little torn.

Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I have a hard time seeing how Berrios didn't even make the Honorable Mention
    Here are Berrios and Lee's stats head-to-head:

Berrios
    19 19 103.2 8.7 3.5 9.1 46
    Lee 22 19 116 6.9 2.0 9.1 38

For 19 year old to SO 8.7 per 9 is pretty great. The only thing Lee did better is limit walks and induce Ground Balls.
    I like Lee, he is a fine pitcher. His strength is ground balls and control which is a good thing for a leftie. Lee pitched a few games out of the bull pen. But his splits are alarming for an experienced Low A pitcher and unless he learns how to get RH batters out better he is destined to be LOOGY. Righties hit .290 off him! Thats not good.
    Brett was my "adopt-a-prospect" so I may be biased a wee bit. They had comparable seasons, you are right, up until August 15. For Berrios, his last two starts were a disaster--9.2 IP 10 runs (all earned) and 6 BB. That is probably the difference. Is Berrios a higher ranked prospect--probably more Ks, 3 years younger. But he walked too many. Did Lee have a better season--IMHO yes and especially a better second half with the only 2 Cedar Rapids complete games until the last week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12