@sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: 2013 Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher of the Year

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the only reason Albers might lose the Twins MiLB pitcher of the year award is because he got promoted. He leads the minors in wins & IP and has better K/9, K/BB, WHIP and ERA than Rogers.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Member Single-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A similar argument to the one Thrylos can be made for Baxendale who dominated A+ ball and was only so-so in his promotion to New Britain. One could argue that Rogers' numbers at Fort Meyers also could have meant a promotion to New Britain along with Baxendale or shortly after Baxendale. How certain is anyone that Rogers would have continued to dominate?

I have nothing against Rogers. It is great to have a lefty starter have success. However, I think that Seth's selection does not take into consideration the fact that others--Baxendale and Albers and Summers--were challenged at higher levels.

I would give the "award" to Albers because he pitched so well at AAA. I certainly hope Rogers has similar success at New Britain next year.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I definitely understand what you're saying, and it went into my thinking. However, at the end of the day, this isn't a 'level of competition' 'award.' I assume Rogers would have struggled in moving up to AA. Baxendale was incredible at Ft. Myers. I bet Trevor May would have been great in Cedar Rapids too.

And yes, Albers likely was hurt for this 'award' by being promoted to the big leagues... I'm not certain he minds.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
    Whatever they're teaching them at Kentucky, it's working. #1, #2, and an HM. Not too shabby.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only one top 20 prospect in the top five pitchers, and Gibson got sent back down. Meanwhile, another minor league prospect (which one) is getting TJ surgery, and Sam Deduno may need work done on his shoulder socket.

This is frustrating.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Hopefully, JO Berrios and Kohl Stewart have tremendous years next year. Maybe they can finish at New Britain and Fort Myers, respectively. This organization definitely needs someone that can reach back and get a strikeout when its necessary.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love all the lefthanders. Going into this year, it seemed like our biggest hole in the org. Now it looks like a strength, especially when you add in Thorpe, Gonsalves and Sulbaran.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Congrats to the people on the list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    There are some nice back of the rotation prospects here though it is still frustrating that this team doesn't produce strikeout pitchers. Rookie League K numbers are always inflated, but many of these guys really crashed in that department this year. It just doesn't seem to make sense, I thought Melotakis, Rogers, Duffy, Summers, Boyd and Lee all threw relativly hard, generally that is the only requirement to make the 20-year olds whiff in A ball.

Anyone have any reasonable guess for why the Twins have such difficulty drafting and developing these types of pitchers? I don't want to fall back on the idea that limiting strikeouts is systematicly instructed but at this point that seems to be one of only three options, the other two being bad luck and strikeout-ambivilant scouting. I don't buy bad luck and I don't want to beleive the other two.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 09-10-2013 at 10:37 AM.

Hey Seth. What keeps Atherton out of honorable mention? Performance? Repeating a low level? low number of innings? Just curious what you think about him, had fantastic end of the season with suddenly great control...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Much Twins View Post
    Hey Seth. What keeps Atherton out of honorable mention? Performance? Repeating a low level? low number of innings? Just curious what you think about him, had fantastic end of the season with suddenly great control...
    One of the most difficult things to do because I separate SP and RP. I guess I try to determine how much of the season the pitcher spent starting versus relieving, so I guarantee you'll see Atherton tomorrow...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Off the subject Seth, but did you see the STrib today where they were talking about Rosario splitting time in the AFL at second and in the outfield?

After reading this article--I am more optimistic about Twins minor league pitching than I have been in a while...the guys at Cedar Rapids (Lee, Duffey, Melatakis and Rogers) all had great years (probably better than expected--I know Lee--my adopt-a-prospect did much better than I expected). Hopefully they will repeat their success next year at Ft. Myers and New Britain. Behind them, Stewart, Gonsalves, Berrios (hopefully) are coming up. Then you have Meyer and May (though not sure May is a future starter). Twins rotation in 2015 and onwards should become a strength going forward.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    After reading this article--I am more optimistic about Twins minor league pitching than I have been in a while...the guys at Cedar Rapids (Lee, Duffey, Melatakis and Rogers) all had great years (probably better than expected--I know Lee--my adopt-a-prospect did much better than I expected). Hopefully they will repeat their success next year at Ft. Myers and New Britain. Behind them, Stewart, Gonsalves, Berrios (hopefully) are coming up. Then you have Meyer and May (though not sure May is a future starter). Twins rotation in 2015 and onwards should become a strength going forward.
    Completely agree with you. I would add Eades to that group, when he doesn't have an inning restriction etc. Like another poster said, we really helped ourselves with lefties.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Off the subject Seth, but did you see the STrib today where they were talking about Rosario splitting time in the AFL at second and in the outfield?
    I didn't, though it makes sense... That said, I don't know if we make too much of it. Last winter in Puerto Rico, and in the WBC, Rosario played pretty much solely OF. He was good out there. It would take him no time to get reacclimated out there if they end up moving him sometime.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a hard time seeing how Berrios didn't even make the Honorable Mention
    Here are Berrios and Lee's stats head-to-head:

Berrios
    19 19 103.2 8.7 3.5 9.1 46
    Lee 22 19 116 6.9 2.0 9.1 38

For 19 year old to SO 8.7 per 9 is pretty great. The only thing Lee did better is limit walks and induce Ground Balls.
    I like Lee, he is a fine pitcher. His strength is ground balls and control which is a good thing for a leftie. Lee pitched a few games out of the bull pen. But his splits are alarming for an experienced Low A pitcher and unless he learns how to get RH batters out better he is destined to be LOOGY. Righties hit .290 off him! Thats not good.
    Last edited by clutterheart; 09-10-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsoholic View Post
    A similar argument to the one Thrylos can be made for Baxendale who dominated A+ ball and was only so-so in his promotion to New Britain. One could argue that Rogers' numbers at Fort Meyers also could have meant a promotion to New Britain along with Baxendale or shortly after Baxendale. How certain is anyone that Rogers would have continued to dominate?

I have nothing against Rogers. It is great to have a lefty starter have success. However, I think that Seth's selection does not take into consideration the fact that others--Baxendale and Albers and Summers--were challenged at higher levels.

I would give the "award" to Albers because he pitched so well at AAA. I certainly hope Rogers has similar success at New Britain next year.
    He was definitely not "so-so" in AA.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 747 Times in 463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the exception of Gibson (higher upside) and Albers (doubt he has much of an ML career), the other guys look like they can be competent back of the rotation arms with potentially a 3/4 upside. That's not bad for any of them by any means, as they should be able to make some decent money in the majors. I got to like Rodgers just b/c he's a hard(er) throwing lefty, though it would be nice see a few more Ks out of him as he progresses.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I didn't, though it makes sense... That said, I don't know if we make too much of it. Last winter in Puerto Rico, and in the WBC, Rosario played pretty much solely OF. He was good out there. It would take him no time to get reacclimated out there if they end up moving him sometime.
    I think the telling part is that by the Twins telling Jeff Smith they want him to split time...tells us the Twins are starting to think about their options. As they look to put their best nine on the field everyday next year, at some point that is going to include both Dozier and Rosario.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast