Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 20 Prospect Lists

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    I think people are being overly optimistic about Stewart's timeline. High school pitcher who hardly threw in high school and is considered very raw. I just don't see him arriving before 2017.
    While it is true he is raw he already posses 2 plus pitches and 2 average pitches. As someone who follows prospects that is incredibly rare, especially for HSers. Add in his hard work ethic, good pitching frame, and freakish athletic ability and its hard not to get excited. He still needs to learn how to be a pitcher and not a thrower but that will come with experience.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    I think people are being overly optimistic about Stewart's timeline. High school pitcher who hardly threw in high school and is considered very raw. I just don't see him arriving before 2017.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but it came out after the draft the Twins had Stewart #2 on their board which would have been the highest ever for a high school pitcher. Also, as I've posted before, Jim Callis at BA has Stewart in the bigs sometime in 2015. I'm guessing Stewart and Eades are part of the rotation in 2016.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephrin View Post
    I know Nygaard's roster sheets say that Kepler needs to be added this off-season, but those same sheets say that Sano does not need to be added until after 14, and they were signed during the same International signing period. I think it is 14.
    The new CBA gives international guys 5 years before they have to be on the 40 man. The old CBA which governs these two does not. It's 4 years for them. Kepler was signed at the beginning of that period and got 4 years in. Sano signed after rookie ball ended, and so he has an extra year.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephrin View Post

I'm not sure Vargas is a top 20 prospect at all. I like him fine, but do you prefer him to Dalton Hicks? Also, I think there is skepticsm that Harrison can stay at 3rd, (not to mention a guy named Sano ahead of him in the 3B pecking order), if you consider him along with Vargas and Hicks how is he not the highest of the three on the list?

Minier would make my list towards the end. Also, I have trouble keeping our talented young pitchers straight. You have Jorge and Thorpe in the low teen area, Rosario in HM, but no mention of Landa. Where does Landa fit in the pecking order?
    Vargas is a year younger than Hicks and did better a full season of ball at FTM, whereas Hicks earned a midseason promotion to FTM and did not fair as well. I think Vargas is a better prospect. I should have looked at Hicks a bit closer, as he's another C+ type guy that could shoot up some lists with some good results and probably deserved an HM.

As for Landa, I don't get the love. The ERA looked sexy, but he's striking out 7.5/9 and walking 4.5/9 in rookie ball. While they were better than his GCL peripherals, they don't scream upside. I hope I'm wrong with this kid, but I'm not even sure there's going to be room for him next year in Cedar Rapids. There's some upside there, but he's not dominating the rookie leagues.

I struggled a bit with Minier. He got off to a great start, but then really tanked. He seemed very streaky and lots of bad streaks. I'd like to see him get a bit more results before he creeps into the top 20. That said, I think he'd be on a lot of team's top 20 lists.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    While it is true he is raw he already posses 2 plus pitches and 2 average pitches. As someone who follows prospects that is incredibly rare, especially for HSers. Add in his hard work ethic, good pitching frame, and freakish athletic ability and its hard not to get excited. He still needs to learn how to be a pitcher and not a thrower but that will come with experience.
    At least 5 of the top HS draft picks from the 2011 have at least reached AA by now. I think the baseline for Stewart is to expect him in AA by 2015. If he does better than expected, he could be a September call up that year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Twins manager Ron Gardenhire acknowledged that the team won't promote Aaron Hicks this month.

"This is a good breather for him," Gardenhire said. "Hopefully he'll come back with a little attitude." Hicks had a nightmare season, but it's interesting that Gardenhire and the front office continue to feed the media platitudes that imply this situation is the center fielder's fault. Quite simply, that's intellectually dishonest. Minnesota rushed Hicks into the Opening Day roster as a 23-year-old who'd never taken a Triple-A at-bat. He predictably struggled, though nobody knew he'd manage to hit only .192/.259/.338. Hicks' attitude doesn't need adjusting, in all likelihood. Baseball America's No. 72 prospect coming into the year just needs more experience. The attitude of Twins' management on this subject, however, is another story.

Source: Mike Berardino on Twitter

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow you like Vargas and Walker a lot!
    I am low on Walker but I get why people like him so much. Vargas's production went down a bit when Sano left.
    I am high on Santana and think he should get top 10 consideration.
    Last edited by clutterheart; 09-10-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree with you on May. He's been inconsistent, but he's a big guy with good stuff. I'll give him more time to improve his command and still like him in the top 10.

I'd have Polanco higher, I really like him, even after he's moved off of short.

I think you're a bit bullish on the young pitchers, but I guess that's preference. I do think we'll see at least one of them really establish himself next year and make a bid for the top ten, but it's pretty hard to rank them before they've pitched in full season ball.

One guy that you didn't mention who probably sneaks into my top 20 is Niko Goodrum. Given his tools, I think he's done well enough to hold onto a solid prospect status, and the Twins seem committed to keeping him at short. This next year could be a make-or-break year for his status as a prospect though.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    it's interesting that Gardenhire and the front office continue to feed the media platitudes that imply this situation is the center fielder's fault.
    There's no such implication. Gardy is hoping that Hicks will play with a chip on his shoulder after not being promoted. It's what you would hope for any prospect that doesn't get called up when they are believe they are ready.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Wow you like Vargas and Walker a lot!
    I am low on Walker but I get why people like him so much. Vargas's production went down a bit when Sano left.
    I am high on Santana and think he should get top 10 consideration.
    I think both could be above average bats. While I agree that Vargas's production dropped after Sano left, that's going be true for anyone batting before or after Sano throughout his career. Both had pretty good seasons. I can see the case that they are a bit high, especially being 1B type guys.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post

I think you're a bit bullish on the young pitchers, but I guess that's preference. I do think we'll see at least one of them really establish himself next year and make a bid for the top ten, but it's pretty hard to rank them before they've pitched in full season ball.
    I'm definitely bullish on these guys. Rookie ball results are a bit hard to quantify. Some guys can put up video game stats there and never go on to do much. However, there's some good correlation between guys who put up those video game stats and do so at an age where they are young for their leagues. These guys were 17 and 18 and flat out dominated a league where the average age is closer to 20. Given that there's no such thing as a pitching prospect, I fully expect there to be some failure in that group. Not sure who that's going to be as of yet, but if the Twins hit big on 2 of them, there's going to be lots of rejoicing in target field towards the end of the decade.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too high: Pinto, Walker, Vargas (but would all make the top 20).

Too low: Kepler, Melotakis, Santana, Harrison, Bard.

Liked the write-up though!
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Good write up. Buxton's name has more meaning this year than last year but overall I think it's a step back from last year as Arcia, Gibson and Hicks were higher profile than the draft additions of Stewart, Gonsalves and Eades, though I really like Stewart and am intreagued by Gonsalves. I don't care much for Eades though.

A side note, Eades is the highest picked college arm that played pro ball this year that didn't pitch in A ball. In fact only 4 college arms from the first 3 rounds exclusively pitched in rookie league, and only 9 in the first 5 rounds hold that distinction (Slegers was another). Most college arms picked in the first 5 rounds actually started in A ball.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12