Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (9/8): Red Wings Season Ends (7 players recalled)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was most interested in seeing the return of Aaron Hicks and the cup of coffee for Deibinson Romero.

It seems kinda dumb not to get Hicks back up and Romero deserves the reward. Martis and Fryer are laughable additions.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    A rebuilding team: still giving out "Service" awards (Fryer and Martis, for sure). But only two "Meritorious Service" awards in 7 recalls (Escobar and Tonkin). Along with 3 "Hope for the Best, Here's One Last Chance" awards (DeVries, Diamond and Parmelee).
    I never understand when people don't like guys getting called up for September... Just strange to me. I haven't looked at Martis's numbers, but following the Red Wings every day, he's been pretty good. Tonkin hasn't been very good since his first big league promotion. Before that, he was pretty much unhittable. In fact, he went two months without giving up an earned run. After that, not so good, and really struggled the last month. Escobar has been terrific though in Rochester, which is good to see. He's still so young.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    It was rehab, but I think Plouffe played a couple games with the Red Wings.
    So did Willingham.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I was most interested in seeing the return of Aaron Hicks and the cup of coffee for Deibinson Romero.

It seems kinda dumb not to get Hicks back up and Romero deserves the reward. Martis and Fryer are laughable additions.
    No surprise, I guess, but it seems people are making way too big of a deal about Hicks not getting the promotion, despite the fact that we've known for awhile that he needed to produce in Rochester to get promoted. He didn't. I think getting some time in Puerto Rico would be great for him this winter, just to get more at bats and time. But, I don't think him not getting called up in September says anything at all to whether or not he'll be with the Twins in 2014, Opening Day and certainly not later. He's still a big part of the long-term plans for the Twins. Not question about it.

Romero had a solid season with the bat for the Red Wings. If they would have called him up, I would have been happy for him. But, between Plouffe and now Escobar, he wasn't going to play anyway.

And again, I don't get the angst about Martis and Fryer. Why not just say good for them. With Mauer and Doumit not catching again this year, and Herrmann able to play other places and maybe Pinto getting some DH time, doesn't hurt to have a 3rd catcher on the roster when they can. And, Martis has been good for the Red Wings, so I have no problem with him coming up for three weeks either. Neither will remain on the 40 man roster after the season anyway, and it's not like they lost anyone to add them for 3 weeks. Just depth for September. Not a big deal.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I never understand when people don't like guys getting called up for September... Just strange to me. I haven't looked at Martis's numbers, but following the Red Wings every day, he's been pretty good. Tonkin hasn't been very good since his first big league promotion. Before that, he was pretty much unhittable. In fact, he went two months without giving up an earned run. After that, not so good, and really struggled the last month. Escobar has been terrific though in Rochester, which is good to see. He's still so young.

..... And, Martis has been good for the Red Wings, so I have no problem with him coming up for three weeks either. Neither will remain on the 40 man roster after the season anyway, and it's not like they lost anyone to add them for 3 weeks. Just depth for September. Not a big deal.
    I want to make it clear, I want guys called up in September......Guys with a legitimate shot at making a long-term impact with the club. Why waste any precious major league innings or ABs on even more of the same-old AAAA runaround?

Martis is a 9-year career- mostly minor league- journeyman, failed as an SP, trying to salvage a career with the Twins as a full-time reliever, and whose career, quite frankly is treading water with not much apparent upside. Tonkin is 2.5 years younger, a 6'7" horse with legit strikeout stuff, especially compared to Martis, and also in contrast to Martis, stuff that has translated quite quickly and nicely since being made a full-time reliever in 2011 (K/9 over 11.00 in 2012-13).

Certainly, Tonkin hit a wall late in the season, his ML call-up probably had something to do with that. But this was at the end of a metoric and whirlwind rise from A+ ball in 2012....through 3 promotional levels up the organizational chain in one season. Meanwhile, Martis just finished his 5th year in AAA since 2008 (the other year was a full year at AA in 2011).

The Twins could have done better choosing from other options on the potential promotion list, and as you say, Martis will be off the 40-man by November, so why does a rebuilding team waste the effort in calling up a guy who most likely won't be around in helping seeing that rebuild to fruition?

Escobar is a perfect and justifiably rewarding example for a September call-up. He plays with a little chip on his shoulder that he has something to prove. He could still figure in the long-term plans of the Twins, probably in a utility role, unless the Twins trade significant facets of their MI and 3B depth chart.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 199 Times in 120 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand people complaining about who got called up when I've seen several posts saying September call up production doesn't matter. Good for these guys and I hope they perform well.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I want to make it clear, I want guys called up in September......Guys with a legitimate shot at making a long-term impact with the club. Why waste any precious major league innings or ABs on even more of the same-old AAAA runaround?
    I think we should wait to see what roles these guys play before getting mad. If Fryer is just a third catcher in case of injuries and Martis is only on the squad to eat innings in case of a 18-2 game or a game that goes into the 17th inning, then all the freaking out about why they're on the squad and how they're stealing experience from a real prospect is a bit outlandish.

DeVries pitched well down the stretch after his latest lower minor league rehab. How he fits with the Twins depends on what they do with Swarzak (and Duensing...which is why I would've promoted Thompson). The Twins will have arbitration decisions on both Swarzak and Duensing and the choice is keep them and pay them or find trade partners, or release them. It's been a tough year for Duensing who became a very short relief guy, instead of the past innings eater he was. Swarzak did shine in his role, but I'm sure he would love to start somewhere and may someday get that chance.

I also wonder if this is a goodtime of the year to DFA guys (like Hermsen) who might have a better chance of getting thru waivers than, say, November.

Hicks is last year's Dozier. I guess Presley is getting the nod for playing time. Mastro will get to showcase himself. Arcia will rotate. Parmelee needs some at bats. Wow, suddenly, with their own production this season, Willingham and Doumit seem to be fluff on the pillow, the pinch-hitter when you want to swap out Escobar for Florimon..

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    If you add 5 more pitchers... don't you at least need to add a bullpen catcher? At this point in the season, why have Mauer and Doumit catching bullpens? And why not give a guy a call-up rather than go pull someone off the street (I imagine the AAA club does not have an 'official' BP catcher... correct?)? If nothing else, it gives your backups at AAA some familiarity with the staff in case of an emergency next year (and also for spring training).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I, too, rather like the fact that occasionally a player gets called up in September just as a 'thank you' for their contribution. (Service awards?)

Yes, there are guys who will contribute down the road and maybe these guys aren't going to be part of that. So what? This isn't football.

I think it's classy that baseball has this way of acknowledging players who were almost good enough and were helpful to the organization as a whole.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 62 Posts
    Probably best to steer the top prospects clear of this Twins team - most of them have just come from playing meaningful games in September, a good note to end on.

In fact the guys they did recall are a perfect fit for this Twins team, and will be great trivia questions in 15 years when trying to come up with obscure Twins.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I, too, rather like the fact that occasionally a player gets called up in September just as a 'thank you' for their contribution. (Service awards?)

Yes, there are guys who will contribute down the road and maybe these guys aren't going to be part of that. So what? This isn't football.

I think it's classy that baseball has this way of acknowledging players who were almost good enough and were helpful to the organization as a whole.
    I agree. I just don't see the point in getting too worked up, one way or the other, about a 1-month callup. And I liked Thrylos's comment on another thread - giving some of these journeymen one month of major league pay (which works out to about $80,000) is a decent way of saying thank you to them for contributing in a role nobody really wants - AAA filler.

And, I guess, as long as now one of importance was DFAed. That is the sticking point so much these days.....40-man roster spots.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Hicks will NOT be in Minnesota next year. His lack of a callup should make that clear. CF next season will belong to Presley unless Hicks forces the issue. I'm fine with that, as I'd like the Twins to give Presley a full year to see what he can do. If he can figure things out, worst case is that you can trade him to make room for Hicks. If he doesn't, he becomes the 4th OF of the future when Hicks is ready.
    Why not Hicks next year? They did the same with Dozier last year and it worked out fine. I can't say I necessarily agreed with it at the time, but it worked for Dozier.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThejacKmp View Post
    I think we should wait to see what roles these guys play before getting mad. If Fryer is just a third catcher in case of injuries and Martis is only on the squad to eat innings in case of a 18-2 game or a game that goes into the 17th inning, then all the freaking out about why they're on the squad and how they're stealing experience from a real prospect is a bit outlandish.
    I don't see anyone freaking out or getting mad, rather, rationally discussing options the Twins might have pursued to continue finding answers how to get out of the deep hole the Twins have dug for themselves the last 3 years. This largely comes from the far-from-outlandish proposal that he Twins should be mostly playing guys now in September with something to prove or show to the club, those who can at least help possibly start to make their case for how they are part of the solution.

The Twins already have a 3rd catcher on the active roster, and a 4th one (Escobar is the "emergency catcher"), and 5th one (should Mauer come off the DL) who can cover the situation for one day should the highly improbable event of 2 catchers getting injured in the same game somehow occur. And then of course, like with the Chris Herrman promotion last year, Fryer could be on the roster the next day. If they want to give Fryer strictly bullpen duties, that's fine, but Pinto and Herrman should be catching every inning of every game through to the end of the year.

In the case of Martis, why not have Trevor May get those "18-2 game" innings? He pitched just fine in relief for Rochester- there are no innings restrictions or injury concerns, and he's already on the roster.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sick of seeing Shairon Martis in the Twins organization. Promoting him provokes me even more.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are talking about the 31st and 32nd men on the active roster here. I see nothing wrong with rewarding organizational guys in this way. The idea that you can talk yourself into believing that there are "rational" reasons to criticize this kind of move is what is silly. Neither Martis or Fryer is likely to play much, and if they do it not the end of the world. The "rational" idea that a "real" prospects should have these spots really doesn't make any sense. A few innings or games at the end of the season isn't going to make anybody better or make them more ready to help next year. This just looks like another way that some can find to criticize the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is it necessary to attack a player simply for working hard and being called up? Is there any other way to express displeasure for the decisions of the Twins management? I hope some will reconsider and edit or delete their posts.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
    Is Super Two part of why Hicks was not recalled?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Is Super Two part of why Hicks was not recalled?
    Hicks would be right on the cusp if he spends no more time in the minors. He is going to have to be pretty special to avoid being optioned to start 2014. I think the Twins have decided that the time is now for Hicks to produce in order to play for the Twins. I really doubt they'll be swayed by a strong spring given what happened this year. It kind of makes sense to give Presley a long look, so Hicks wouldn't have had much playing time anyway.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 09-09-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast