Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chargois Having TJ surgery

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 817 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Chargois is a reliever, it's doubtful he would have the same pitch-count issues that a starter would, and because of the nature of being a reliever.

Why the decision took the time it did is a valid question as he likely has lost an entire season, we surely won't see him until 2015 at this point. I also assume this lost season will still count against the Twins in regards to future 40-man and Rule V decisions.
    He's lost 2013, and he will lose 2014. He has 2015 to do his first year back, which most pitchers tend to struggle after this surgery. He's a 40 man decision for the 2015 offseason.

I'm not saying operate just to operate, but there's definitely a legit quesiton as to why this took so long for the decision to be made. Allowing him to take his recovery lumps in 2014 might allow them to be somewhat aggressive with him in 2015 as to where he's placed to see if he's worth a 40 man spot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Chargois is a reliever, it's doubtful he would have the same pitch-count issues that a starter would.

Why the decision took the time it did is a valid question as he likely has lost an entire season, we surely won't see him until 2015 at this point. I also assume this lost season will still count against the Twins in regards to future 40-man and Rule V decisions.
    Probably, we have the same issue with Wimmers, he needs to be put on the 40 man roster this fall or Twins could lose him. Some bad team will take the chance.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    I don't think he will 'lose' 2014, he will (hopefully) be pitching by mid-July and get into 10-15 games before the minor league season ends. He is/was a major college reliever, so he should be experienced enough to go to Instructionals for September and the first half of October and then pitch in the 30+ game AFL season. They always need relievers, so it's not like he would block another prospect. That would give him almost as many appearances/innings as he would have gotten in a full minor league year (~16 vs. 20 weeks).

I think it is fine if you still dislike the policy, but I think the Twins (and other teams) have shown us that this is what they think is the best route (and I personally think it is a defensible position).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    The biggest problem I have with "questioning" is that it assumes the Twins are making the decision. But they don't. It is up to the player to decide the best course of action. I know that if I had the option of waiting for my body to heal itself or undergoing a proceedure that has a real chance of ending my career, the surgery would be my last resort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12