Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Bollinger: Perkins has elbow inflammation

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bollinger: Perkins has elbow inflammation

MLB.com's Twins beat writer Rhett Bollinger reports that Glen Perkins will not travel with the team to New York as he remained in the Twin Cities to receive an MRI for left forearm inflammation. Perkins was coming off two outings in which his command of his fastball and slider were seriously lacking despite fairly good velocity -- a common sign that there may be issues within the elbow. The Twins bullpen is already gruel thin as it is however now they may be without one of baseball's best relief arms in 2011.

If Perkins is placed on the DL, what moves do you think the Twins should make?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Why the rush to sign him in ST?

What is going on with pitchers going down like flies again? This training staff is supposed to be held accountable.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    a couple of things about this:

a. he already had the MRI
    b. (and I already had this discussion with a couple of folks blessed with "access" but either they don't get it, or they don't want to question) MRI's cannot "reveal inflammation". They can show structural changes (like tears, fractures, foreign bodies, connective tissue build up, cysts, tumors, etc etc.) You cannot see "inflammation" unless there is a structural change that accompanies it, and "inflammation" is a symptom, not a cause.
    c. "forearm" is really vague

So, unfortunately, if the MRI came out positive, there must be something wrong with Perkins, which the Twins' witch doctors are sugarcoating. I am just sick of all that misinformation the Twins are passing around...

Ryan has talked about accountability when he assumed the interim position in November. He better walk the talk or step down.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Blog Entries
    (and I already had this discussion with a couple of folks blessed with "access" but either they don't get it, or they don't want to question) MRI's cannot "reveal inflammation". They can show structural changes (like tears, fractures, foreign bodies, connective tissue build up, cysts, tumors, etc etc.) You cannot see "inflammation" unless there is a structural change that accompanies it, and "inflammation" is a symptom, not a cause.
    Right. He had inflammation of his forearm/elbow area and they took an MRI. We'll let that slip by since it was on the Twitters and not in one of his articles.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Blog Entries
    It should also be noted that LaVelle's write-up says that the MRI "confirmed the issue." It sounds like they already know the extent of the damage but have not released it to the media.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    It should also be noted that LaVelle's write-up says that the MRI "confirmed the issue." It sounds like they already know the extent of the damage but have not released it to the media.
    I re-read La Velle's thing. It actually seems to imply that the MRI confirmed the "tenderness", since he defined the issue as "tenderness".
    -----

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of leaving Scott Diamond alone to continue getting starts.
    It's a tough call.
    Go ahead and bring up Robertson for awhile.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Don't really need a southpaw to replace him, with Deunsing and maloney already in the pen. They'll probably just have Marquis take Perkins roster spot.

Senior Member Double-A Neinstein's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat14 View Post
    Don't really need a southpaw to replace him, with Deunsing and maloney already in the pen. They'll probably just have Marquis take Perkins roster spot.
    very true. I was thinking Marquis had already been added. He'll start on Wednesday, no move necessary.
    If Perkins is down for awhile, there will be too many cooks in the kitchen. Does Swarzak go to Rochester? Does Manship or Robertson get the call?
    Last edited by Neinstein; 04-16-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    "You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." ​Albert Einstein

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neinstein View Post
    Does Swarzak go to Rochester? Does Manship or Robertson get the call?
    Swarzak's out of options, and pitching pretty well, he's not going anywhere. Manship has been great. Robertson's been alright too.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Mackey said something interesting in his later writeup. He said it is a nerve issue. That can be interesting in a couple ways because nerve issues (unless there is something degenerative going on) usually are caused by other sorts of things
    -----

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    a couple of things about this:

a. he already had the MRI
    b. (and I already had this discussion with a couple of folks blessed with "access" but either they don't get it, or they don't want to question) MRI's cannot "reveal inflammation". They can show structural changes (like tears, fractures, foreign bodies, connective tissue build up, cysts, tumors, etc etc.) You cannot see "inflammation" unless there is a structural change that accompanies it, and "inflammation" is a symptom, not a cause.
    c. "forearm" is really vague

So, unfortunately, if the MRI came out positive, there must be something wrong with Perkins, which the Twins' witch doctors are sugarcoating. I am just sick of all that misinformation the Twins are passing around...

Ryan has talked about accountability when he assumed the interim position in November. He better walk the talk or step down.
    I talked to my wife about it, who happens to be a medical student graduating in a month. She says you are wrong. MRI's can show inflammation quite well if set up properly, and I'm sure the Twins have an MRI setup optimized for swelling and inflammation.

My guess is "confirming the issue" confirmed that it's inflammation and not a torn tendon/ligament or bone issue.