Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Justin Morneau - Pirates Tracker

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts

Wink Justin Morneau - Pirates Tracker

The Twins suck and the season is winding down. No worry, Justin Morneau and the Pirates are in a Pennant Race. Everyone loves Morneau and everyone wants to root for the formerly lovable-losers.

Me, or anyone who does it first, will use this thread to provide updates on how they are doing leading up to and throughout the playoffs.

Today, September 1st, Justin Morneau made his National League debut with the Pirates. He went 1-3 with a walk in a 7-2 Pirates loss to the Cardinals.

The Pirates are now tied for 1st in the NL Central with the Cardinals. Here's how Justin looked in his new uni:
    i.jpg

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Today is September 15. It is morning so does not include today's game.

Our beloved Canadian is hitting .262/.367/.310 (.677) for the Pirates. He has 2 XBH and they are both doubles. He has scored 3 runs and has 0 RBI.

He is due for an explosive run. Sure hope it happens.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 62 Posts
    The numbers are pretty volatile - last week he went from .230 something to over .300 then back to .260.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 62 Posts
    So happy for him with the game winning RBI today. The Pirates are one of the coolest and most historic franchises in baseball. Perfect fit for JM.

Looks like Morneau will be in the starting lineup for tonight's wild card game vs. Cincinnati. He had the majority of the starts at first base for them down the stretch. He finished with 77 ABs, a .260 avg and a .681 OPS. He's been one of my favorite Twins and I hope he does well for the Pirates in the postseason.

Yeah, I sure hope he gets hot in the playoffs.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    One of my favorite playes, but is should be clear he is a shell of his former self. I hope he gets a ring this year, though. That would be cool.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just singled in the third.

Liked 1,160 Times in 682 Posts
    Having a good day today. Stand-up Double in the 5th, brought home on a ground rule double by Byrd.

But then hits into a DP with 2 on and only 1 out in the 6th. Ah, well, Pirates still up 5-1.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's fun having a good guy I enjoyed watching as a Twins player for years get this shot with the Pirates. You watch him and it's clear he's having a great time. Always one of the first to congratulate a teammate in the dugout. Really trying to be one of the guys, even though he arrived late with the Pirates.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

It is great to see, JC. And even though his bat hasn't really come alive with the Pirates, he looks great on defense (as do the rest of the Pirates).