3B Plouffe
    CF Presley
    SS Florimon

Bench
    Parmelee
    Escobar
    Mastroanni
    Collabello

I think they trade Doumit for a minor leaguer. I believe that, that is about all try do besides adding some minor league free agents. They do this because they will wait for prospects to come up in June/July.

What do you think?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
    No Hicks?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    No Hicks?
    No Hicks. I believe he will have to prove he deserves it in AAA first.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I think Pinto ends up getting called up in June and Doumit is traded then as well. I think Mauer still catches 50% or more of the time.

Let's look realistically.

DH - COumit or Willingham.

RF Presly or Parmelee or both.

Carbello will get a shot at first abse.

Doumit is still around

Arcia will be in the outfield, too young to be DH.

If they trade Doumit, then Pinto will get called up. No use having Pinto around unless he is going to catch at least 40 or so games at this stage.

Be interesting to see 40-man roster adds/subtracts before we get into line-up construction.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope your wrong, I see 2 maybe 3 with Dozier, major league players in that lineup. Howver I believe Hicks will be in the lineup and i'm betting we see Sano in 2014 with the possibility of Rosario as well

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's what I think:
    2B Dozier
    1B Mauer
    DH Willingham
    RF Arcia
    C Pinto
    3B Plouffe
    LF Presley
    CF Mastroianni
    SS Florimon

C/OF Herrmann
    INF Escobar
    1B/RF Parmelee
    OF Ramirez

The Twins will switch to 13 pitchers when the rotation implodes again. Hicks and Sano are not ready yet. Hicks gets a call in May and Sano gets the call in late June. I know what you're thinking - Ramirez is on the team? He can actually hit...somewhat. Plouffe is on his last straw. Parmelee is also on the hot seat, but gets to play 1B when Mauer rests/DHs/plays C. (Happy Gardy? We have 3 catchers now.)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Depressing..... I want the Cuban 1B at least. That lineup is pretty much this years, one of the worst offenses and defenses in the game.
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Mike, if the Twins scouts decide it's a go, I would like to take our best shots at both Abreu and Tanaka. I'm too lazy to go back and look, but IIRC the fun and games don't start until at least January. It's impossible to predict who will be successful, but I have little doubt the check book will be opened this winter. The past is not a perfect predictor of the future.

With the number of top prospects that could be MLB ready next year, it would seem the Twins would not want to start all of their clocks at the same time. Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Meyer, May, Tonkin, etc., are all projected to be very important pieces to the Twins. It would be problematic for the Twins if they were all entering arbitration and free agency at the same time. Therefore, why not call Sano up now?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    With the number of top prospects that could be MLB ready next year, it would seem the Twins would not want to start all of their clocks at the same time. Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Meyer, May, Tonkin, etc., are all projected to be very important pieces to the Twins. It would be problematic for the Twins if they were all entering arbitration and free agency at the same time. Therefore, why not call Sano up now?
    Isn't it just as problematic if Sano is arb 2 or 3 when all of the others are arb 1? Ideally the Twins have as many of Sano's best seasons under team control as possible. Calling him up trades a month of his age 21 season for his entire age 28 season. Starting him in AAA next year is the wise move.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Isn't it just as problematic if Sano is arb 2 or 3 when all of the others are arb 1? Ideally the Twins have as many of Sano's best seasons under team control as possible. Calling him up trades a month of his age 21 season for his entire age 28 season. Starting him in AAA next year is the wise move.
    Let's just wait to bring them all up at the same time. 2015, 2016. Are we just convinced we're only going to have these guys for their first 6 seasons and then they're gone?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Let's just wait to bring them all up at the same time. 2015, 2016. Are we just convinced we're only going to have these guys for their first 6 seasons and then they're gone?
    It is not a matter of being convinced. It is what baseball guarantees. Almost any star player would want to test the free agent market at first opportunity. It is even more likely when that player has fewer ties to the home town area.

The Twins are guaranteed 6 years service time before free agency. They should maximize what the contract provides and hope these players turn out to be stars.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    It is not a matter of being convinced. It is what baseball guarantees. Almost any star player would want to test the free agent market at first opportunity. It is even more likely when that player has fewer ties to the home town area.

The Twins are guaranteed 6 years service time before free agency. They should maximize what the contract provides and hope these players turn out to be stars.
    There is a huge, but huge list of players, including star players, that signed extensions well before they become free agents. Smart teams get it done early.

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Are there really people who believe that? Very few people here believed that the Twins would be at all competitive this year. If Terry Ryan actually thought that then he must have blinders on that would fit a Clydesdale. (Oh, wait, the team that uses Clydesdales doesn't wear blinders). Maybe he found a Genie in a bottle he thought would grant every wish - this team was put together on a heck of a lot of wishin' and hopin' but that seldom goes far.

Terry Ryan OUGHT to be embarrassed about the mess of a team that this franchise fielded this year. Terry Ryan OUGHT to be embarrassed that he is so unwilling to spend money that he not only didn't improve the team measurably but arguably made it even more depressing (even if it finishes with a slightly better record than in 2012 but that isn't a sure thing). And Jim Pohlad OUGHT to be embarrassed, too.

Terry Ryan OUGHT to retire.

As for the line-up next year, the only thing I'm certain about is that it will be another merry-go-round with Dozier, Mauer, Willingham and Florimon the only relatively sure things (and even then, we could see regression in Dozier and Florimon and who knows where Willingham's health will be). Every other position is up for grabs.

I just hope that both the Manager and GM jobs are up for grabs too. (Oh, and if I were Joe Mauer, I'd be willing to waive my no trade clause in a heartbeat).
    Please tone down the invective. It is understandable that you are angry and passionate, but you can say what you want to say without being so inflammatory and so dismissive of others. What you posted is borderline trolling.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While glunn was writing his warning, I was deleting posts. There is no purpose in turning every thread into "what the Twins should do in the offseason" or "Terry Ryan: what do YOU think?". Please heed glunn's advice.

Here's what I hope:

1st: Abreu
    2nd: Dozier (replaced mid-season by Rosario)
    SS: Florimon (replaced by Dozier at mid-season)
    3rd: Plouffe (traded/benched mid-season by Sano)
    LF: Arcia
    CF: Hicks
    RF: Parmalee
    DH: Collabello
    BYTO R.I.P.

Not what I want, but what I think the opening day lineup.

C-Mauer
    1B-Plouffe
    2B-Dozier
    SS-Florimon
    3B-Escobar
    LF-Arcia
    CF-Mastroianni
    RF-Hermann
    DH-Willingham

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't know how to project a 2014 lineup for the Twins without asking myself what Ryan should/might do in the offseason.

So I'll just say, they may have some players not on the roster right now, or they may not. Pretty sure Mauer and Dozier will be involved.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 09-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chance View Post
    2b dozier
    rf herrmann
    1b mauer (3rd catcher)
    lf willingham
    dh arcia
    c pinto
    3b plouffe
    cf presley
    ss florimon

bench
    parmelee
    escobar
    mastroanni
    collabello

i think they trade doumit for a minor leaguer. I believe that, that is about all try do besides adding some minor league free agents. They do this because they will wait for prospects to come up in june/july.

What do you think?
    lf arcia
    cf hicks
    rf parmelee/plouffe platoon
    dh willingham
    1b mauer
    2b dozier
    ss florimon
    3b sano
    c pinto

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast