Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    2. When asked what they got, Terry Ryan replied "Cash, Homey."
    Is "Straight cash, homey" a Randy Moss nod? I don't know Phil but I think he's pulling your leg about that. Unless you're pulling my leg...

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Perhaps the payroll slashing of the last couple of years is more intentional than many want to admit? Perhaps Terry Ryan really is under demand from ownership to make/save them as much money as possible?
    If that were the case, a GM wouldn't have signed a Jamey Carroll type for 7 figures in the first place.

wait, the complaints are the Twins didnt get enough in return for Jamey Carroll? (who is 1-25 since joining the Royals)

I imagine if the Twins did get a player back, he would not be good enough prospect.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    What? The Twins didn't get a K-level prospect (NOTE: This would be several levels below a C-level prospect) for an essentially valueless player?!? OUTRAGE!!!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Ryan knows what he is doing.
    As evidenced by what? I'm still waiting for positive results, not projections and speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    At the end of the day, who cares? The way I look at it, we traded Caroll and butera and got a pretty decent prospect in return, that is a net win in my book.
    I guess they also got a pretty decent return for Scott Erickson and Bobby Kielty.

Quote Originally Posted by benchwarmerjim View Post
    wait, the complaints are the Twins didnt get enough in return for Jamey Carroll? (who is 1-25 since joining the Royals)

I imagine if the Twins did get a player back, he would not be good enough prospect.
    Yet but it would have been a tangible return. It's like buying a Powerball ticket and getting the Powerball number right. For some reason the Twins cashed the ticket out for thier 2 bucks back instead of getting a new ticket for the next drawing. Why bother playing at all if that's what you plan on doing with your asset.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    As evidenced by what? I'm still waiting for positive results, not projections and speculation.

I guess they also got a pretty decent return for Scott Erickson and Bobby Kielty.

Yet but it would have been a tangible return. It's like buying a Powerball ticket and getting the Powerball number right. For some reason the Twins cashed the ticket out for thier $2 bucks back instead of getting a new ticket for the next drawing. Why bother playing at all if that's what you plan on doing with your asset.
    The whole point in a rebuilding team signing Doumit, Willingham and Carroll after 2011 was temporarily plugging holes in the lineup and looking at swapping them for assets that could play a part in their plans for when the turn comes. All 3 had seasons in 2012 that were either career-type, or at least raised their stock to teams that might need what they had to offer.

Although no one would reasonably expect Ryan to have sold high on all 3, Carroll, a career journeyman at 38 on the cellar-dwelling Twins, certainly could have been dealt in August of 2012 for far more than they ended up receiving yesterday. (Jamey had an August 2012 slash line of .296/.374/.333, that's the definition of selling high).

Jamey went on to finish the season really strongly, in September 2012, his slash proved he could have really helped a contender: .388/.419/.478.
    Last edited by jokin; 08-31-2013 at 01:07 AM.

The Twins were very explicit that this was a transaction for Carroll - he is probably playing his last days of major league baseball, and they did him the favor of sending him to a team that actually was competitive. There was no market for "trading" Carroll; the organization displayed a bit of class here.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    They traded a guy of no value and received an equal return. There is no reason to take a guy from the Royals headed for minor league free agency. There is no reason to expect anything better.
    If you feel that cash has no value, I'll be more than happy to take yours off of your hands.

I think it was more of a need that KC needed a temporary infield plug and the possibility that Carroll, who is a wonderful guy, would be a nice addition to their team, albeit shortterm. And he was affordable. And for their situation, at the moment, a wizened vet would keep them more competitive than an unproven rookie. But it sorta backfired.

I
    still think the Twins needed to turn this transaction into getting the long-loved Bruce Chen into a Twins uniform.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCal View Post
    The Twins were very explicit that this was a transaction for Carroll - he is probably playing his last days of major league baseball, and they did him the favor of sending him to a team that actually was competitive. There was no market for "trading" Carroll; the organization displayed a bit of class here.
    Why not do that for Morneau also?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    If you feel that cash has no value, I'll be more than happy to take yours off of your hands.
    it has no value to the fans....none. It goes straight on the giant pile
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guys, it was Jamey Carroll. Great guy and like watching him play, but he was a 38 year old backup utility player on a bad roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    I don't see how people can be upset about this. Carroll literally had no value.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why not do that for Morneau also?
    If Morneau has expressed an interest in such a move, and if the Twins have determined that he will not be a part of their plans going forward, then why not? They did the same thing with Thome, also.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 513 Posts
    Seems like an appropriate return.

When I tried to generate some outrage over this I could only muster a 0.5 on the outrage scale.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member MVP
    Phillies just got a player for Carroll's clone.....not cash, a player.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Phillies just got a player for Carroll's clone.....not cash, a player.
    Ogando - a 24 year old reliever in A-Ball with an ERA of 4.09 including a low strike out rate and high walk rate. There will be plenty of these guys and better available as minor league free agents. The Twins can use the money from the Royals to buy some.

Senior Member MVP
    Wasn't I told on this thread you could not get a player for Carroll, and I should be happy the Twins got cash?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Wasn't I told on this thread you could not get a player for Carroll, and I should be happy the Twins got cash?
    When they sign a couple of minor league free agents think of the cash they got from Carroll as paying for them. There that way they got 2 players for Carroll

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast