Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jason Kubel DFA'd by Arizona

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Proof? Here is an in dept study: Part 1 and Part 2.

And here is a graph from the same source:

Take this for what it's worth as I could be COMPLETELY reading these examples wrong.

I like this first graphic and example better than the WAR one. Nothing against WAR at all, but the first looks directly at the players age 'X' season and looks at it independently. WAR makes it cumulative. There may be 25 players in there age 34 season this year in all of baseball compared to 50 24 year olds. If they had an identical WAR of 2 per player wouldn't the age 34 total be 50 and the 24 year olds equal 100? Does that make those in an age 24 season better than their 34 year old counterparts? On the average, I wouldn't think so. Cutting older, low upside players for promising prospects will always be apart of the game so the WAR example is a little misleading unless it could be averaged per capita somehow.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    So the D'backs decided to take whatever they could get for a player who was no longer part of their future plans, even if they had to eat most of the salary to get it done?
    Hmmm, interesting concept.
    Someone explain to me how Jason Kubel and his .612 OPS has trade value, but Justin Morneau has none?

Liked 128 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    So the D'backs decided to take whatever they could get for a player who was no longer part of their future plans, even if they had to eat most of the salary to get it done?
    Hmmm, interesting concept.
    Someone explain to me how Jason Kubel and his .612 OPS has trade value, but Justin Morneau has none?
    Arizona threw in a ton of cash along with Kubel. They're paying the rest of his salary and including the cash to buy out his contract option as well. With all that, they're still only getting a "fringe" prospect. So, it might not be a great return.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Arizona threw in a ton of cash along with Kubel. They're paying the rest of his salary and including the cash to buy out his contract option as well. With all that, they're still only getting a "fringe" prospect. So, it might not be a great return.
    That is entirely my point.
    Taking "something" rather than nothing, even if it's not great, and even if you have to pay most or all of the salary, rather than just letting him walk for nothing. What a novel concept. I'll bet Diamondback forums are outraged right now that Kevin Towers didn't "stick to his guns" and get a better prospect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Kubel has pretty much no value to the DBacks. He probably isn't even playable considering AZ's OF depth.

Morneau still has value to the Twins. it's one thing to DFA (and get basically nothing back) a bad player that has been part of your team for 2 years and completely sucked for one of them. It's another to DFA one team's favorite players of the last decade that is actually better than any option they have. Making that move to get a fringe prospect and save a 200K doesn't do anything for the org and adds to the negative PR (casual fans) for the club.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As much as I wouldn't be opposed to adding Kubel, all he'd be doing is taking AB's from young guys. I'd almost rather have him than Willingham though.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the "youth" is a Presley, Thomas, Ramirez or Mastroianni, I'd rather see a proven hitter like Kubel, Willingham or Doumit. None of these should be played before Arcia or Parmalee. Colabello is too old to be considered "youth". He is a stopgap player at best, and a mighty poor one, so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12