Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Projecting the 2014 Managers

Projecting the 2014 Managers

There's been a quite a bit of discussion over the last week on here and amongst affiliate areas about full-season managerial posts in 2014. I think we could see some changes next year. Overall, there are some pretty good coaching candidates in the Twins system. Like the players, the system is becoming deep with managers and coaches. These projections also stem from the idea that Gene Glynn will be on the Twins or some other MLB bench in 2014.

Triple-A Rochester: Jake Mauer
    Double-A New Britain: Tim Doherty (or maybe Ramon Borrego, who is currently managing the GCL Twins)
    High-A Fort Myers: Doug Mientkiewicz
    Single-A Cedar Rapids: Tommy Watkins

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about Mauer coaching AAA, he took a "demotion" from High A to Low A to be closer to his family.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 356 Times in 178 Posts
    I would keep Mauer right where he is currently, I think he has done a great job with the youngsters.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,183 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I would keep Mauer right where he is currently, I think he has done a great job with the youngsters.
    Yeah, my reaction to moving someone up to AAA like that would be to groom or audition him for the big job, and IMO that's just not going to happen while his brother remains an important player. So there'd be no purpose in the move at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
    I don't know about Mauer coaching AAA, he took a "demotion" from High A to Low A to be closer to his family.
    Mauer went to Cedar Rapids because there is more media coverage there. Getting exposure for when he goes further up in the system, evidence that he is on track to get to the major league level with the Twins. Does interviews before and after every game, akin to the major league level. Not many minor league managers have that experience.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KernelsGuy1 View Post
    Mauer went to Cedar Rapids because there is more media coverage there. Getting exposure for when he goes further up in the system, evidence that he is on track to get to the major league level with the Twins. Does interviews before and after every game, akin to the major league level. Not many minor league managers have that experience.
    Do you have something concrete that indicates this, or is this just a supposition or conjecture? For myself, I have no problem believing the move was made for family reasons. For some people that is an important consideration. I myself changed positions and took a lower paying one for the sake of being nearer family.

I think Tommy Watkins does more with the players than Jake (based on 3 games...) Watkins does all the defensive shifts, works all the scouting reports for each ab, pre-game warm ups he is doing all the drills. He is the most active guy in the dugout.

Jake plays 3b couch and relays the pitching call to the catcher.

I have not seen many other teams so I dont know if this is the normal break down of roles.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KernelsGuy1 View Post
    I don't see Mauer moving down for more exposure. I know when the Twins added Cedar Rapids affiliate last year that Jake asked almost immediately to move down because it's closer to his family in Minnesota

I see the minor league spots remaining pretty much untouched, unless someone retires. If the Twins make a change on the major league level, I almost pray it is someone outside the organization (Charlie Manuel, foe example) instead of Steinbach or Molitor...unless the Twins feel beholden to Molly. Then I see most all of the coaches currently here scrambling for jobs within the Twins system or elsewhere.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hard to tell what is going to happen in the minors yet. The majors have to get settled.

One of the things I was hopping the Twins will do is to get rid of Jeff Smith who is pretty much universally unliked (by players, FO and fans) in New Britain, but instead they are trotting him to the AFL.

Hard to tell.

One thing: I doubt Molitor will want to do anything more that what he does. He is close to 60.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    One thing: I doubt Molitor will want to do anything more that what he does. He is close to 60.
    Yeah when he's down here in Florida for Instructionals etc, he's only on the field very early in the day and shows up here and there. The rest of the time he's on the golf course