Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Miguel Sano Relegated to First Base Already? You Must be Joking.

Article: Miguel Sano Relegated to First Base Already? You Must be Joking.

Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget Chris Parmelee and Trevor Plouffe on that first baseman list.

Yeah, it's silly to move him yet. It's silly to move him before he shows he can't in the majors. But I wouldn't be shocked if he is moved prior to the end of 2015, and maybe at the end of 2014. I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews on his D. He seems to be capable of making incredible plays, but maybe a bit inconsistent?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Miguel Cabrera can play 3rd base on a Pennant winning team, Miguel Sano certainly can.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    Given how rare it is to find an elite third baseman...you only move him to first in an complete emergency.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you absolutely keep him at 3B. Reports I've been given and some others, he's probably already as good defensively as Plouffe. Is it great? No. Can he, at age 20, improve? Of course. He'll be fine.

This seems a little out of the blue.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't get this. He's being pushed by no one and it's much easier to find a 1B who can mash on the FA market than it is a 3B. I get that his defense may never be stellar, but he's 20... Defense can and will improve, and I'll sacrifice a bit with the glove for a kid that can absolutely mash at that position. Good hitting 3B aren't nearly as easy to find as people think.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well that "move Mauer to 3rd" crowd is going to need to move Sano somewhere by June-ish, so . . .

But in reality, I would hope that Sano pushes Plouffe to where he should be--platooning *somewhere* with Parmelee.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 54 Posts
    Admittedly I haven't seen Sano play 3rd more than a couple clips. When you're comparing him to Plouffe, though, it seems like Trevor's fielding % is inflated a bit. He doesn't get hit with an error for being out of position (which he is frequently).

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Given how rare it is to find an elite third baseman...you only move him to first in an complete emergency.
    Sano should try to play 3rd, but I would say elite third basemen really aren't rare anymore. In fact, I'd say elite first basemen are rarer. Right now, there is a big talent wave at the hot corner. Miguel Cabrera, Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson, Adrian Beltre, David Wright, and Evan Longoria are all at an elite level. Then there's a good group below them with Seager, Uribe, Arenado, Headley, Prado, Lawrie, Alvarez, and Zimmerman. That's 15/30 starters playing at a high level at 3rd base with 6 of them being elite.
    At first base, I'd only say Votto, Goldschmitt, and Davis are playing elite. That's 6 to 3 favoring 3rd. There's a quite a few good first basemen below them though. Swisher, Napoli, Craig, Trumbo, Freeman, Encarnacion, Belt, and Gonzalez add 8 more for 11/30.
    There's quite a few more great athletes playing 3rd base in the minors too and I think the trend will continue for some time. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more Kris Bryant types being drafted high. What's most interesting to look at is that every elite third baseman is on a contender (except David Wright).
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 08-26-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Many infielders who later became thought of as having very good or great gloves made a lot of errors in the minor leagues. Koskie's milb fielding percentage was .924. Gaetti's was .925. George Brett's was .910. Twice Gaetti had more than 30 errors in a minor league season. Sano's fielding percentage this year is .930.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Admittedly I haven't seen Sano play 3rd more than a couple clips. When you're comparing him to Plouffe, though, it seems like Trevor's fielding % is inflated a bit. He doesn't get hit with an error for being out of position (which he is frequently).
    Living in Ft. Myers I've got to see Sano play in the GCL, instructs (watching him work with Molitor every morning was kinda cool) and the FSL. He has definitely gotten better, less brick hands and more accurate throws. He'll never be an elite defender but should be at least adequate to stay there. The player I liken him to defensively would be Aramis Ramirez.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,294 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews on his D. He seems to be capable of making incredible plays, but maybe a bit inconsistent?
    That was the book on Florimon before this year, wasn't it? Maturity can sometimes smooth out the rough edges.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,294 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterGroove View Post
    This seems a little out of the blue.
    If you are referring to a specific post, please report it rather than try to police it yourself in the thread. I already deleted one post above yours for violating Comments Policy on insulting individuals, which may have been what you referred to, and another one was close to the edge.

/ edit - and then someone else coming after CharacterGroove's comment made me delete their post, apparently feeling that since moderation this morning hadn't been instantaneous, it was open season on personal attacks. Remember that the Comments Policy item asking for respect includes everyone, not just posters here. And Andrew's article is about Sano, not about a journalist, so staying on-topic is another reason to tone down the rhetoric.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 08-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    American League third basemen had 6,168 chances in 20,285 innings last year. This works out to 2.73 chances per game. Based on the actual opportunities for making plays at 3B, some might be overvaluing the value of defense at this position.

On second thought - given the Twins pitchers' inability to strike out batters, I'll concede that this number is probably 10% more significant for us right now than for other teams.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I hope everyone actually read the article and realize that this is only the opinion of Tom Powers and not the org. So far Sano is showing that he can at least play the position and Plouffe has done nothing to show that he should be part of the long term plans at 3B. After Plouffe there is almost nothing at 3B for the Twins. Romero isn't a starter and Harrison's defense is just as suspect as Sano's.

If the Twins had an .800+ OPS average or better fielding 3Bman that was part of the long term plans then Sano would likely be ticketed to 1B. but, umm, yeah...

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Not that I think he should be moved off 3B by any means, but if the Twins were to have Sano make a change, wouldn't it behoove them to move him to RF, where his incredible arm strength wouldn't be wasted?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 301 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Well that "move Mauer to 3rd" crowd is going to need to move Sano somewhere by June-ish, so . . .

But in reality, I would hope that Sano pushes Plouffe to where he should be--platooning *somewhere* with Parmelee.
    Mauer belongs at first. He could win a gold glove over there.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Mauer belongs at first. He could win a gold glove over there.
    That would be great, but a Gold Glove at first base doesn't mean too much, really. It certainly won't justify the contract. We need a power hitter there who can catch throws somewhat consistently.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdosen View Post
    Not that I think he should be moved off 3B by any means, but if the Twins were to have Sano make a change, wouldn't it behoove them to move him to RF, where his incredible arm strength wouldn't be wasted?
    This does seem like a better idea. Not that awesome athleticism is required for RF, but almost no athleticism is required for 1B. (Hell, if Prince Fielder can do it, my 2 year old niece probably could.) By all accounts, Sano is quick, fast, and athletic. Why waste him at 1B?

Of course, you're also right that this assumes he'd be moved off 3B. I don't think we're there yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast