Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hendriks

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All these stats point to one thing. Hendricks has not been a very good starting pitcher so far.
    Has he shown enough to get a full season ? I am not a pitching evaluator, but if he has a 50% chance of having a quality start, then the Twins should have Hendriks pitching every 1/5 day. If the Twins don't think he has a 50% chance now, but might develop, they should keep him in AAA. If they don't think he will develop into a 50% QS pitcher then they should cut him lose. duh ??? That is what they are doing. Why are WE discussing it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Hendriks is no Slowey, not that Slowey ever was any great shakes. But at least he had a couple of good years in the majors. Hendriks has had a couple of good starts in the majors out of 24. In the other 22 starts, he just hasn't had the consistent secondary stuff or the consistent command to get major league hitters out. The difference between AAA hitters and good major league hitters is huge. Major league hitters take close pitches and wait for mistakes. And he doesn't have the focus or something to avoid mistakes.

Yeah, he's 24, but I subscribe to the notion that a guy gets three or four chances to succeed, then you give another guy a chance. If he becomes a late bloomer for some other org (a la Paul Abbott), fine. Don't block another guy with a guy who might become something useful. Now, in our case, I don't know who that guy is. So you might as well run him out there. But it's a sad state of affairs when we have to rely on a guy who has maybe a 5% chance of ever being a useful pitcher.
    I really think you are being prejiduced by his terrible W/L record.
    I'm not saying he's been great, or even good, but looking through his game logs, I'm not sure it's as bad as you make it out to be.
    IMO, of his 24 starts, he's had:
    8 good starts.
    8 bad stars.
    8 mediocre starts.

I think that is probably what you would expect from a guy as young as him, especially one who was never an elite prospect to begin with.
    He has had some really good performances that resulted in an L or ND. Including an 8 inning CG last year where a single unearned run hung an L on him. He's also had several performances that are not great, but just mediocre, the kind that often result in ND's for many pitchers, but Hendriks has gotten the loss due to no run support.
    I really think if his record was something like 5-8, instead of 1-12 (which it easily could be), and the rest of his stats were exactly the same, that he would get more benefit of the doubt.
    It's also of note that his career xFIP is 4.58. I'm guessing that the huge difference between his career ERA and xFIP is due to his well above average HR/FB rate. While it may just be that his stuff is easy to square up (leading to harder hit fly balls than average), I don't think that is the case, as his babip is pretty well in line with the league. Pitchers whose stuff is easier to square up generally have inflated babips.
    Of course, even if his ERA were 4.58, that is still not great, but I think most people would think it was acceptable given his age.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hendriks starts in August

Day Date Vs Pitcher W-L Score IP Runs QS Comment
    Fri 9 ChiSox Hendriks W 3 – 2 6.1 2 Y
    Sat 24 Cle Hendriks L 2 – 7 4.1 7 N
    Fri 30 Tex Hendriks W 3 – 2 6 2 Y

He's still younger than Kyle Gibson. He's had a bad year in AAA, but the year before he was nearly unhittable. This is his second real stint in the Majors since last season. There are not enough MLB ready starting pitchers in the system right now to actually block him. Let him pitch till the end of the season, with a shot to make the rotation next year. We need to find out what we've got with him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123